Definition of "uku"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Definition of "uku"

Certainly no expert here on possible interpretations of the word but the only "uku" I am familiar with are the ones I kill and comb out of the heads of patients on a far-too-frequent basis.
    Have I told you lately how much I love my job?

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN
      Certainly no expert here on possible interpretations of the word but the only "uku" I am familiar with are the ones I kill and comb out of the heads of patients on a far-too-frequent basis.
      Have I told you lately how much I love my job?

Nurses. How can you not love nurses?
      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

We are battling the first case of uku's in our house. I napalmed the whole place till it glowed green at night, did 17 loads of laundry, vacuumed 3 times, scoured the floors, and spent over 4 hours "combing". All in the last 36 hours.

What a nightmare.
        FutureNewsNetwork.com
        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal
          Nurses. How can you not love nurses?
          Perhaps you should discuss this topic with the nurses at Wilcox...

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
            We are battling the first case of uku's in our house. I napalmed the whole place till it glowed green at night, did 17 loads of laundry, vacuumed 3 times, scoured the floors, and spent over 4 hours "combing". All in the last 36 hours.

What a nightmare.
            ACCCKKKK!

I remember vividly the time I got a notice from one of my daughter's teachers in NY. A notification of "lice detection."

BOIL BOIL BOIL.

My daughter was in a class of 28 kids. 26 had head lice. She was one of the two who never got it.

I stripped the kid the minute she came in the door. Washed her clothes in hot water and PineSol. She stunk like a state park bathroom. Although she has never mentioned any freaky after-effects I am pretty damn sure than she shared this with a therapist later in life.

Stripped the beds nightly, washed the linens in bleach and boiling hot water, drowned the beloved stuffed animals in bleach. Yes, they looked strange, but they retained their status as beloved stuffed animals. Vacuum, vacuum, spraying the carpet with Lysol as I vacuumed.

Scrubbed her and washed her hair nightly. The key element, according to those in the know, was to BLOW DRY the hair, with the blow dryer on "HIGH HOT BURN THE SCALP OFF THE KID."

It worked.

Please do not ask me about pinworms.

Comment

Do any of you remember a public health film showed in schools here many many moons ago where they were trying to de~stigmatize having ukus while telling people how to hopefully avoid getting ukus and how to treat them if you did get them? The film made us laugh. They had a mainland haole family talking about lice in such an upbeat and happy way as if they were happy and proud to have ukus. Something like, "Guess what? I have lice!" (spoken by a happy smiling child to a happy smiling adult).

Comment

Now that it's getting close to Halloween, the good kind of black lights (tube floresent not the painted light bulbs) are easier to find.

If you have little kids pick one up. If the kid gets lice and you aren't sure you got em all...or it's in the class and you aren't sure if they caught the lice, using the black light in a dark room will help you find out. The live nits glow, dead ones stay dark under floresent black light.

http://www.drgreene.com/21_576.html

Comment

Originally posted by Keith H.
                  Wondering, then, how "uku" got its pidgin meaning of "lots of...", as in "uku pile X" or "uku billion X"?
                  originally it was "ku ka paila" (Hawaiian transliteration of "pile", and was used like "big the pile") to whit: "ku ka paila rubbish in his backyard!" which evolved into "uku pile of rubbish in his backyard!" because along the way people are forgetting the Hawaiian base in that phrase (which is a Hawaiian base of borrowed English words).

pax

Comment

Originally posted by timkona

What a nightmare.
                    Yeah... just wait till it hits the whole football team your coaching!

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
                      originally it was "ku ka paila" (Hawaiian transliteration of "pile", and was used like "big the pile") to whit: "ku ka paila rubbish in his backyard!" which evolved into "uku pile of rubbish in his backyard!" because along the way people are forgetting the Hawaiian base in that phrase (which is a Hawaiian base of borrowed English words).
                      Aha! Mahalo for the etymology. I love that kind of stuff.

Comment

Working...
                      X