Justice for Porky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Justice for Porky

Well, if you can stand a terribly sad tale about a much loved pet of the non-ordinary variety...check this out. This story is getting the attention of national animal rights activists and will, hopefully, help change our local laws. The advertiser even published a Letter to the Editor (scroll at least half way down) that came from California.

Here's a little background from my friends Gracie and Paul Atkins, emailed on 11/3. They're on a mission to help...
    Hi friends,

In case you don't already know, please read this article.

This was a brutal and senseless murder of a tame, domesticated, very talented and much loved feral pig. His name was Porky, he was part of a family who loved him, and he starred in a recent television commercial for Island Air. The circumstances of his death are not for the faint of heart and have left his owners heartbroken.

As of today, the police have done nothing about this violation except tell the bereaved owners they need to prove Porky had monetary value in order*to charge the*hunter who knifed Porky with more than trespassing.

In addition to the personal loss, Porky's death is a real loss to the local animal*talent pool. We*employed him and would continue to employ and*recommend him for future animal scenes. We want to do what we can to help Aaron and Camilla*in hopes such brutality will not happen again, and would appreciate*any support or information you can offer them in how to prove the future value of an animal actor.[...]
    The police are on it now and and there's been more media attention. I'm ashamed to say the 'murderer' is from Makaha.

I never had the opportunity to meet Porky but I did work on the Island Air spot in which he appears...as did the Atkins. Lots of production folks are getting behind this sad story in hopes of changing the laws. The fact that, in Hawaii, animal cruelty, no matter how heinous, is a misdemeanor is shameful.

Re: Justice for Porky

Saw this story on KHON tonight. They went with a "livestock theft" charge (class "C" felony) to bump it up from the misdemeanor for "animal cruelty." The suspect, Joseph Calarruda, has been in trouble before:
    On June 9th of this year he was arrested after bringing a high powered weapon to his work at Campbell Industrial Park on Hanua Street. He was charged as a felon in possession of a firearm, but posted a 40,000 dollar bond. Trial in the case is scheduled to start November 27th.

Five years ago Calarruda was convicted of kidnapping and abusing his girlfriend.
    The maximum penalty for the "livestock theft" charge is five years. It'll be interesting if the guy is found guilty, then ends up serving as much time for killing a pig as some people have served for killing people.

Comment

Needless to say, we're hoping for the felony. It's so ridiculous that one can trespass on someone's private property and slaughter their family pet without much fear of punishment. But, stealing livestock can get someone 5 years in the slammer.

Hopefully, in this case, the felony will stick. Calarruda shouldn't be on the streets with his history.

Thanks for the new thread, PZ. I thought about posting about this subject a week ago but time got away from me. RN's pet thread reminded me to bring this subject to everyone's attention.

Comment

I love irony. That dude's gonna be the one in the pen.
        Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

I was looking for the Porky post. Musical posts, again. When the music stops, drop the post somewhere else...

This just sickened me. I can't imagine the horror of watching a beloved pet slaughtered before my eyes. How heartbreaking.

The disgusting coward deserves to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. "Hunter"??

No more a "hunter" than the gutless wonders who jumped a fence on Hamakua in Kailua few years ago and slaughtered two pet pigs (raised by hand by the children in the family), butchered them, and ran off with their "prize."

http://www.thehawaiichannel.com/news...63/detail.html

Comment

I am very avid hunter and I must say this person is not a hunter he is a POACHER! I hope he gets whats coming to him and he is punished to the fullest extent of the law. I cannot comprehend tresspassing on someones property and than chasing a pig into someones garage and than killing it in front of people screaming at you to stop and that the pig is a pet. He knew what he was doing from the minute he decided to tresspass and let his dogs go.

Comment

According to the news, he killed the pig and dragged its body out and left it in front of the family members so I really think it was his retaliation for being warned off the property before and not that he wanted to hunt the pig or eat it for himself. I really hope the killer gets jail time and also mental health help.

Comment

The man is INSANE. The words I want to use is not allowed on the forum. To do what he did with the criminal background he has...he deserves to be locked-up for a long time! Porky was a Family Pet who was loved and cherished. Anyone who has ever loved a Pet knows the pain in mourning his owners are going through. Sadly, the bottom is he is an Animal. Still, I hope and pray the courts will take into account the facts and the history of his heartless murderer.

As they say...every Dog gets his day. Or sumting lil dat.
                He'll get his!

Rest In Peace PORKY!

Auntie Lynn
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

A sort of happy ending for the owners of Porky:

A Kahalu'u family is giving their pet pig, Leonardo DiPiggio, to the family who lost their own pet pig to a crazy man.

Porky's owners agreed to adopt Leonardo, and the Buck family made their way to Mililani.

"He's like part of the family," said Kolu Buck. "It's like saying goodbye to a relative."

Porky's owners immediately took to Leonardo.

"He's adorable, absolutely adorable!" said Porky's owners.

"I think he's pretty laid back. I think he'll get along just fine," they said.
                  Miulang
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
                    I really hope the killer gets jail time and also mental health help.
                    Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                    The man is INSANE.
                    Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                    ... lost their own pet pig to a crazy man.
                    Where is everyone getting this crazy crap? Even Auntie Lynn, who normally takes offense when one hurls the word as an insult?

Braddah is a thief, plain and simple. Probably a little stupid, too.

But crazy?

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
                      Where is everyone getting this crazy crap? Even Auntie Lynn, who normally takes offense when one hurls the word as an insult?

But crazy?
                      Because: http://starbulletin.com/2006/11/11/news/story06.html
                      By Leila Fujimori

"On Oct. 22, Calarruda's hunting dogs allegedly cornered the 300-pound pig in the carport, according to a couple who are tenants on the farm. They asked not to be identified out of fear for their safety.

The husband said he kept yelling, "This is private property. This is a pet pig. Get your dogs and get out of here."

But Calarruda allegedly went into the carport and stabbed the pig to death, leaving blood everywhere, said the couple. He then hauled the pig to the edge of the carport and cut one of its legs off, they said.

That was when they noticed another man standing to the side of their house with more dogs on leashes."

"My husband screamed, 'Porky's dead!'" said the woman, who was fond of Porky. "I started screaming. I was just so sad. I was in shock."

No person in their right mind would do such a thing. I stand by my word ~ INSANE!

Love and Aloha

Auntie Lynn
                      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

But crazy?
                        Because I don't think he did it to steal the pig. He had a previous encounter with someone from that place and it sounds like he killed the pig to get back at them for being warned to stay away.

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
                          Because I don't think he did it to steal the pig. He had a previous encounter with someone from that place and it sounds like he killed the pig to get back at them for being warned to stay away.
                          And I don't see how a "crazy" person can do something so premeditated.

He's not crazy. He's a criminal who deserves to be punished.

Comment

And I don't see how a "crazy" person can do something so premeditated.

He's not crazy. He's a criminal who deserves to be punished.
                            I never said he didn't deserve to be punished. and not all mental health issues mean one is stark raving, uncontrolled, gibbering, incomprehensible, dumb or incapable of planning. I don't mean, "oh he's mentally incompetent so he's not responsible for what he did" I mean he sounds like some kind of psychopath or sociopath (there may be some more appropriate description but psychiatry isn't my area)

ack my edit got et. I edited to say that I think the reason some people call this "crazy" is that the man's behavior is not in the realm of social "norms" ~ deliberately tresspassing on land to kill a pet knowingly (as opposed to by mistake) in front of witnesses who were screaming at him to not kill the pig and to get off their land. This wasn't someone looking to steal something or poach (in which case he probably would have tried to be stealthier and not do it in front of witnesses). He killed the pig, hacked off a leg, splattered blood about the place, dragged the pet's body in front of its owners and left it there in a manner that seems intended to inflict great distress upon the owners (and leave people in some fear as to how far this pet killer might go if there is a next time) not to just steal some fresh meat.
                            Last edited by Adri; November 12, 2006, 08:15 PM. Reason: to clarify

Comment

The guy shouldn't get jail time, that's like giving him free room and board for what he did. It's too bad our system doesn't have this but I'd say 10 lashes with the cane in public and hours of community service is a better punishment. Being in prison just lets him make connections with the wrong elements.

Comment

Working...
                              X