Workplace Violence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workplace Violence

I want to ask you at HT a question: While doing her job in State office as a Clerk, my wife had a car seat thrown at her by a fellow worker. Although it didn't hit her it did scare her(landed about a foot from her desk). No attempt was made by the other worker to apologize or even pick up the seat. My wife made a complaint to her supervisor,but was told that she(my wife) took it the wrong way and that this is not workplace violence. The woman in question and my wife had always had a history ever since my wife started working in this office.Previous to my wife getting hired, she was told that this office has gone through 3 or 4 clerks and that they are certin personal that can be difficult. Because my wife stood up to this office bully she has always gotten slack from this worker. HGEA is handling this case as a violence in the workplace case , but management is sticking to thier guns by saying it's not.

HT, what do you think? Does my wife have a case?As a supervior,what would you do in this situation?
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Re: Workplace Violence

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
    I want to ask you at HT a question: While doing her job in State office as a Clerk, my wife had a car seat thrown at her by a fellow worker. Although it didn't hit her it did scare her(landed about a foot from her desk). No attempt was made by the other worker to apologize or even pick up the seat. My wife made a complaint to her supervisor,but was told that she(my wife) took it the wrong way and that this is not workplace violence. The woman in question and my wife had always had a history ever since my wife started working in this office.Previous to my wife getting hired, she was told that this office has gone through 3 or 4 clerks and that they are certin personal that can be difficult. Because my wife stood up to this office bully she has always gotten slack from this worker. HGEA is handling this case as a violence in the workplace case , but management is sticking to thier guns by saying it's not.

HT, what do you think? Does my wife have a case?As a supervior,what would you do in this situation?

So my question to management would be, "If it were a knife instead of a car seat would there be a difference?"

Anything can be construed as a weapon and in this case there is no difference between a car seat and a knife. The intent was to hurt somebody and this person definately has a problem and that person should be removed immediately from the workplace before someone does get injured.

Intimidation is a form of harrassment so I'd consider having this person suspended or fired due to that act.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Good arguement ! Thanks craig

Flickr

Comment

The incident you describe is clearly a case of workplace violence. The boss does not get to decide whether it is or not.

From the US Department of Labor:

http://www.osha-slc.gov/SLTC/workpla...nce/index.html

It is also addressed by the State of Hawaii:

http://hawaii.gov/labor/hiosh/workplace_violence.shtml

Comment

that's an insane position for management to take! their position is indefensible and they are clearly part of the problem. if this case goes to court, management (in addition to that insane worker) will certainly have to be held accountable for their lack of responsibility and their failure to comply with the law.
          525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice View Post
            that's an insane position for management to take! their position is indefensible and they are clearly part of the problem. if this case goes to court, management (in addition to that insane worker) will certainly have to be held accountable for their lack of responsibility and their failure to comply with the law.
            Hard to believe it's a STATE office who should know the law.

Flickr

Comment

Hard to believe it's a STATE office who should know the law.

::::SIGH::::

No it's not.

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
                ::::SIGH::::

No it's not.
                What she said.

Lei Liko
                -ex state employee
                Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                We're not here to mess around
                Boston, you know we love you madly
                Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                You know we couldn't live without you
                Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Wow! First time I read this thread. Your wife should have filed a formal compliant with HPD. Whenever a person uses anything to cause injury it is considered a weapon. The office where she works is covering up the worker's okole. Take her to court and whatever needs to be done. Don't let her get away with it cause if you do...she'll continue to harass others. It needs to be stopped.

Auntie Lynn
                  Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                    Don't let her get away with it cause if you do...she'll continue to harass others. It needs to be stopped.

Auntie Lynn
                    Not only that, but psycho co-worker might have the potential to use more dangerous items. If she's capable of throwing a car seat, what'll stop her from using a gun or knife each next time she goes ballistic?
                    Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                    We're not here to mess around
                    Boston, you know we love you madly
                    Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                    Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                    You know we couldn't live without you
                    Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
                      What she said.

Lei Liko
                      -ex state employee
                      I know what you mean. the STATE always covers up thier mistakes.

Flickr

Comment

Your wife needs to:

1. Document
                        2. Document
                        3. Document

Oh and keep her cool. She kind of loses if she loses her cool or acts intimidated but I guess it's how you want to play it.

Sending an email to her supervisor clearly and plainly stating facts. Describe the problem and situation factually. Then clearly ask for a desired resolution. Ask for a specific date for these concerns to be addressed.

If no action or rebuffed, keep documenting incidents however small and send to the supervisor by forwarding the prior thread of emails. After a while the paper trail gets extensive and the supervisor is forced to act. The events can't be too petty and must be very factual. Your wife also needs to avoid gossiping and preventing management from using any type of office disruption as an excuse to discipline her.

Is management lazy or do you suspect they favor the bully? Or maybe dislike your wife?

After a while as the number of documented incidents mount with no mangement action, you may have a lawsuit against the state. Presto, instant semi-retirement. Well I hate attorneys who vulch like that but it'll probably never come to that. Nothing wakes someone up like a chain of forwarded emails requesting action over and over again. Oh yeah, copy your personal address on every email.

Comment

Yeah document it and report to the police.

Warn the management that their denial problem will be used in future police reports. Allow them a chance to change their mind. Maybe they will do something about it.

Comment

Originally posted by i-hungry View Post
                            Yeah document it and report to the police.

Warn the management that their denial problem will be used in future police reports. Allow them a chance to change their mind. Maybe they will do something about it.
                            No chance for "maybe's" Maybe's can be too late. Be akamai ~ take ACTION! Don't be afraid.

Auntie Lynn
                            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 808shooter View Post
                              Your wife needs to:

1. Document
                              2. Document
                              3. Document

Oh and keep her cool. She kind of loses if she loses her cool or acts intimidated but I guess it's how you want to play it.

Sending an email to her supervisor clearly and plainly stating facts. Describe the problem and situation factually. Then clearly ask for a desired resolution. Ask for a specific date for these concerns to be addressed.

If no action or rebuffed, keep documenting incidents however small and send to the supervisor by forwarding the prior thread of emails. After a while the paper trail gets extensive and the supervisor is forced to act. The events can't be too petty and must be very factual. Your wife also needs to avoid gossiping and preventing management from using any type of office disruption as an excuse to discipline her.

Is management lazy or do you suspect they favor the bully? Or maybe dislike your wife?

After a while as the number of documented incidents mount with no mangement action, you may have a lawsuit against the state. Presto, instant semi-retirement. Well I hate attorneys who vulch like that but it'll probably never come to that. Nothing wakes someone up like a chain of forwarded emails requesting action over and over again. Oh yeah, copy your personal address on every email.
                              This is what she did before getting the union involved. Management seems to "fear" the bully herself. Thanks for all the help guys out there,we knew HT could give us support and answers.

Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X