Zip codes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zip codes

I guess this is a question for the HawaiiAnswers site too. I always wondered why do 967xx zip codes have the specific city or town's name, while 968xx only has "Honolulu"? I know that 967 includes all the neighbor islands, but why can't the 968 zips do the same?

Re: Zip codes

Originally posted by bueller555 View Post
    I guess this is a question for the HawaiiAnswers site too. I always wondered why do 967xx zip codes have the specific city or town's name, while 968xx only has "Honolulu"? I know that 967 includes all the neighbor islands, but why can't the 968 zips do the same?
    I always thought that it was that way just to distinguish the Honolulu region from everyone else. If it's Honolulu, it's 968xx. If it's not Honolulu, no matter what island you're on, it's 967xx.
    Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
    We're not here to mess around
    Boston, you know we love you madly
    Hear the crowd roar to your sound
    Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
    You know we couldn't live without you
    Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

I don't have an answer to your question. Zips beginning with 968 are specific to boundaries that constitute Honolulu. I doubt that any of the communities within Honolulu...eg: Makiki, Hawaii Kai, Palolo, Kahala...have ever been addressed as such at least since the creation of zip codes! For any of you who lived in Hawaii prior to statehood, do you recall if the individual areas were addressed as such?

Even on Oahu areas outside Honolulu...eg: Aiea, Haleiwa, Kailua...begin with 967, just like the outter islands. Didja know that the entire Waianae Coast is 96792 but within that zip there is Nanakuli, Maili, Waianae and Makaha. There are other 967 zips that incorporate more than one community.

See? Toldya I couldn't answer your question!

Comment

I think it's because Honolulu just Has to be different

Could it be something related to population base?
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I would have thought that the town name would simply be taken from the servicing post office's location.

Comment

It probably has something to do with population size, easy and quick to separate the mail that way. I don't think zips always referred to a specific town, more like a region. That's why you address city, state, zip.

I wonder when's the day when Hawaii will be "big" enough to justify having more than one area code.

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zip_codes

Comment

I think if you look at the boundaries of the different 968xx, you'd be hard pressed to match a name to the boundaries - at least not without causing objections from others. For example, I think 96822 covers not just Makiki but parts of Manoa.

Zip codes have to do with the way the post office has structured it's delivery and not to the communities that they serve.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                  I don't have an answer to your question. Zips beginning with 968 are specific to boundaries that constitute Honolulu. I doubt that any of the communities within Honolulu...eg: Makiki, Hawaii Kai, Palolo, Kahala...have ever been addressed as such at least since the creation of zip codes! For any of you who lived in Hawaii prior to statehood, do you recall if the individual areas were addressed as such?

Even on Oahu areas outside Honolulu...eg: Aiea, Haleiwa, Kailua...begin with 967, just like the outter islands. Didja know that the entire Waianae Coast is 96792 but within that zip there is Nanakuli, Maili, Waianae and Makaha. There are other 967 zips that incorporate more than one community.
                  Hey TutuSue, I know that many years ago, we'd list "Makaha" as our town, along with the 96792 zip, and not put "Waianae". Do you still do that in Makaha, put Makaka on your envelopes?

Comment

All of Oahu is part of the City and County of Honolulu. When you address to someone on Oahu typically you don't put it at Makiki, HI 96823 or Nanakuli, HI 967xx
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Someone once told me that it doesn't really matter what city you put in the address. As long as the Zip Code is there and correct, the recipient will still get it in the mail.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthKona View Post
                        Hey TutuSue, I know that many years ago, we'd list "Makaha" as our town, along with the 96792 zip, and not put "Waianae". Do you still do that in Makaha, put Makaka on your envelopes?
                        I rarely, if ever, see anything addressed as "Makaha" but do recall, decades ago, when it was used a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
                          Someone once told me that it doesn't really matter what city you put in the address. As long as the Zip Code is there and correct, the recipient will still get it in the mail.
                          When I was into sending a plethora of Christmas cards each year I always addressed cards to be delivered in the zip code in which I resided as "City, 90266"...and they were always processed with no problem! It was my understanding at the time that it was acceptable to do that within the zip code accepting the mail but not outside that zip. Who knows!!!

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                            All of Oahu is part of the City and County of Honolulu. When you address to someone on Oahu typically you don't put it at Makiki, HI 96823 or Nanakuli, HI 967xx
                            But rural Oahu does! I grew up using the mailing address "Kaneohe, HI 96744". Not all of Oahu lists their city as "Honolulu". I always felt a little sorry for the "townies" that couldn't take pride in their neighborhood and instead, were lumped together in the ubiquitous city of "Honolulu".

Comment

But rural Oahu does! I grew up using the mailing address "Kaneohe, HI 96744". Not all of Oahu lists their city as "Honolulu". I always felt a little sorry for the "townies" that couldn't take pride in their neighborhood and instead, were lumped together in the ubiquitous city of "Honolulu".
                              Eh, I never lost any sleep over it and don't know of anyone who did.

Comment

Working...
                              X