Blister Packs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blister Packs

Blister Packs.. you gotta just hate them. They are the most consumer unfriendly type of packaging that just about every small thing comes in today. I hate them. Such a bitch to open, especially if you want to like save the cardboard or paper packaging (often includes the instructions or maybe a coupon for another product) that is layered between the plastic molds of each pack.

And of course the product, whether it be a cheap camera, radio, tape player, memory card or whatever is very difficult to remove unless you cut the darn thing open with a scissors or knife. Anyone else have opinions about blister packs?
    I'm still here. Are you?

Re: Blister Packs

It is a pain to open but I have some X-Acto knives at home that I use to open them.

Comment

Originally posted by mel
      Blister Packs.. you gotta just hate them. They are the most consumer unfriendly type of packaging that just about every small thing comes in today. I hate them. Such a bitch to open, especially if you want to like save the cardboard or paper packaging (often includes the instructions or maybe a coupon for another product) that is layered between the plastic molds of each pack.
      Wow Mel! Maybe we just found common ground! Hate those buggers with a passion too. So in your "perfect" Walmart, would there be no consumer products enshrouded in those containers? Now there's something I would lobby for!

Miulang
      Last edited by Miulang; August 27, 2004, 05:59 AM.
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
        Wow Mel! Maybe we just found common ground! Hate those buggers with a passion too. So in your "perfect" Walmart, would there be no consumer products enshrouded in those containers? Now there's something I would lobby for!
        I am not one to mandate or pass laws on how firms should package their items. Still, I think blister packs stink and most consumers would rather have something else for product packaging.

There are some blister packs that have tab indentations that are easy to open. But most are molded shut.

And if you want to talk about WalMart please post to the WalMart topic since we are trying to run up the topic total there to pass 200.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
          I am not one to mandate or pass laws on how firms should package their items. Still, I think blister packs stink and most consumers would rather have something else for product packaging.

There are some blister packs that have tab indentations that are easy to open. But most are molded shut.

And if you want to talk about WalMart please post to the WalMart topic since we are trying to run up the topic total there to pass 200.
          Just did.

You know what else stinks about packaging? Just the opposite of those blister packs...the packaging for most consumer computer software applications! (You know, like for Turbotax?). They give you this biiiiiig cardboard box and all that's inside is one little CD in a sleeve and a little booklet describing how to use it. What? They think people will think they're getting more for their money because they encase their software in about 3 cents of cardboard?

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

It is not as bad as packaging a 2 inch by 2 inch Compactflash card in an 8-1/2 inch by 11 inch blister pack (measurements are approximations in this note).

I suspect the bigger the package is the harder it is for someone to shoplift the item.

Comment

One day someone will get seriously hurt trying to open those sonic-welded blister pacs and sue the company that packaged it.

My 15-year old boy cut the wires on his earbuds on a Sony CD walkman I bought for him for his birthday when he attempted to cut open his gift. The headphones were laid out and under the cardboard placard so you couldn't see the wires!

They should package the CEO's paycheck in one of those blister pacs and make em work to get their money. Hmmm that makes for an excellent idea? Blister packed money! Give them as gifts and see how long it takes to spend it.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                You know what else stinks about packaging? Just the opposite of those blister packs...the packaging for most consumer computer software applications! (You know, like for Turbotax?). They give you this biiiiiig cardboard box and all that's inside is one little CD in a sleeve and a little booklet describing how to use it. What? They think people will think they're getting more for their money because they encase their software in about 3 cents of cardboard?

Yes, I agree with you on software packaging. And nowdays you don't need the box because all they have for you is the CD because a lot of times the manual is on a PDF file included on the CD.

Remember the music business went through similar growing pains when CDs first came out. They had CDs packaged in wasteful cardboard long boxes. I think environmentalists were upset about this because the moment someone bought a CD, the longbox was removed and tossed out. I think through public outcry, and not legislation, the music industry changed their practices and now most CDs just come in the packaging (usually the jewel case) that most people will keep.

Now another thing I hate is that when you buy a CD or DVD, it is also a hassle to get it open too. You have to deal with the shrinkwrap and then those "protective" adhesive strips on all sides to peel off before you can play your CD or DVD. I think the shrinkwrap is good enough. They don't need those protective strips of tape.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

One thing I hate about DVD's unlike VHS is that you simply cannot pop in a movie and sit back to watch it.

DVD's are like babysitters for my kids while I work around the house at night. I put in the DVD hit play and walk away. 10-minutes later my kids come up to me and tell me the movie is broken. I go back to see this menu asking to: Play the movie, watch special features, or More.

When you hit play, you suffer thru 15-minutes of previews (Disney DVD's). By the time the movie is beginning, it's bedtime for the kids!
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I can deal with blister packaging. Mail-in-rebates are the devils own.
                    Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

And I know how hard those CD player packages are to open. I had to literally stab the packaging to open up the CD player package for my sister (did it on the paper side, so I wouldn't hit the CD player.

But one thing those packages, is that you can literally drop them in water, and it won't get soaked (atleast the contents).

And the reason why software companies put little bit things in big boxes, is so that they can show all of the good stuff that the software comes with. You try and sell a product that only had the CD cover, and noobs don't even know what "Office" or "Lotus Notes" does.
                      How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by adri1456
                        And I know how hard those CD player packages are to open. I had to literally stab the packaging to open up the CD player package for my sister (did it on the paper side, so I wouldn't hit the CD player.

But one thing those packages, is that you can literally drop them in water, and it won't get soaked (atleast the contents).

And the reason why software companies put little bit things in big boxes, is so that they can show all of the good stuff that the software comes with. You try and sell a product that only had the CD cover, and noobs don't even know what "Office" or "Lotus Notes" does.
                        Hui Adrian! I really like your sig/avatar! Reminds me of what happens when you put an Easter "Peep" (the marshmallow chick you hate to get in your Easter basket) in the microwave. In fact, up here, college kids have "Peep jousts" where they stick toothpicks in 2 Peeps (your choice of Peep color) set them facing each other, turn the power on and poof...they melt together! No, I don't think you're supposed to eat them when they get like that. Go here for more information on "Peeps Research":http://www.peepresearch.org/

Miulang
                        Last edited by Miulang; August 27, 2004, 05:00 PM.

Comment

I picked up a PCI card from CompUSA last night that was packaged in a blister pack. So today as I was about to open it with an X-Acto knife I noticed that the back of the package had a small tab on one corner and it looked like the edges was perforated.

Was able to open the package without the use of the knife and if you discount the amount of noise it makes when you open it, it was quite painless thing to do.

Comment

My own personal hell would be populated with blister packs and speed bumps...

Comment

Mel, is there a "topic total" thread so I can ask "we" are trying to run up the topic total?

If not, then I can start a thread about it and help to run it up, too.
                              Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Working...
                              X