Internet Explorer 7.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet Explorer 7.0

Does anyone else use the new IE version 7.0? Without paying much attention, I let Windows do an automatic update a couple of days ago and voila, there it was!

What do other users think of it? any problems?
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Re: Internet Explorer 7.0

I had to uninstall it because it crashed so MUCH! UGh I hated it. I liked the way it worked but I swear it had so many errors and then when it reported it always said the same thing....This is an error Microsoft has been unable to fix...we are working on it!
    Since when is psycho a bad thing??
    Sharing withother survivors...
    www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

I've tinkered with it in a test environment, but today was the first time I came across it in the wild. It refused to work with a web application I was trying to demonstrate, so we had to stop and download Firefox before proceeding.

Of course, because IE is part of Windows, and most computers run Windows, IE7 will eventually become the "standard" to which the rest of the world will have to bend. At least, so says conventional wisdom. I personally hope it becomes so obviously a bloated mess that the masses will turn even more to alternate browsers.

Comment

Haven't done it at work and won't until some other unit says it's okay.

For home, right now I am not in any rush, but I suppose I can do it on one of the computers to try it out.

Comment

I've only had it for a couple of days but so far (knock on wood) I've not had any problems. I kind of like the simple tool bar and the drop down menu for sites is kind of cool - it shows a logo next to the URL. The one for HT has the plumeria that is in the title of the site. but.....it takes a little getting used to. If this is the "ribbon" that MS is talking about for Vista and Office, it's a little strange. But, I could grow to like it. It's a lot more graphical and simple than what we are all used to with IE. From what I've read about Vista etc, that seems to be the goal.

Apparently, it is designed to work with Windows XP. Maybe that is the problem for some who don't have XP? I would have stayed with Windows 2000 but my new computer came with XP so have had to accept it.

Sadly, it probably WILL become the "standard" soon - just like IE has been all these years.

Thanks for the feedback
          Last edited by anapuni808; January 16, 2007, 11:25 PM.
          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I hated 7.0. I switched to Opera and it's alot faster. The internet is tailored to 7.0..so keep it installed. So if something doesnt work on Opera..I just switch over real quick. But Opera is alot better with security...and allows my to copy notes fast.

http://www.opera.com/

Comment

It seemed okay at first, but then I had to use my scanner for something and the scanner refused to work. I finally called the manufacturer (HP) and the first thing they asked was if I was using IE-7.0. They said it was causing lots of problems and that IE patches were in the works but not available.
              In the meantime, to use my HP scanner I have to double-click the icon, then hit ALT and the spacebar at the same time, then click Minimize twice.
              Sheesh.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Thanks for the info about scanning - I'll try to scan something tonite when I get home to see if it works.

PoiBoy - thanks for the link about Opera. I'll also check that out tonite.

(yes, I'm posting from my office - my bad)
                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Well I re downloaded IE7 I used it a long time ago when the kinks were still pretty bad...now I will see how I like it. I see they have made many changes since I last used it.
                  When they come up with a browser that reads my mind and goes where I want it to without typing! Then I will be satisfied!
                  Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                  Sharing withother survivors...
                  www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

I have it installed on my laptop, but not on my desktop. However, I do install it on people's computers, and they seem to like the new layout (personally, its too compact).
                    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

I just tried scanning a photo with a 3 yr. old HP scanner - no problem. Haven't had time to check out Opera yet.
                      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                        Does anyone else use the new IE version 7.0? Without paying much attention, I let Windows ....
                        What do other users think of it? any problems?
                        aaahhh well, on a mac. so suppose query unapplicable.

uninstall? wot dat?

exp is slow and buggy on my mac. Firefox quicker. Safari fastest and best.

Comment

I don't have it on my Desktop, yet, Thankgoodness!!.

Although, I did download it to my laptop, but I'm thinking, I want to go the the original one I started with, before IE7.0 (I forgot which one it was).

How do I get back the original IE before 7.0???

Do I have to to go to my control panel & remove it from there???

Any links to help me get back the one before 7.0, please.

Can someone send it on step by step on how to do it, please.

I am using Windows XP with 7.0 (now) .

Please Help.

Aloha.

P.S. or does any one think that 7.0 is great or Lousy that I should either keep it or go back to the one I had before 7.0 (the new IE)??

Please someone message me back & LMK. Thanks.

Double Aloha, again.
                          Aches & Pains
                          (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

Unlike previous versions of IE, which were so tightly integrated with Windows that uninstalling was impossible, I think Microsoft has made it so that you can revert to an earlier version. Some instructions here.

Microsoft is crowing proudly about the number of IE7 installs, but of course, since they can plop it on all Windows users' desktops as a convenient "click here to update," they're going to see decent adoption rates. But I wonder how many people would install IE7 if they knew what they were doing when they clicked that little friendly balloon?

Meanwhile, corporate IT staff around the globe have to send out urgent e-mails to employees advising them to not click that little friendly balloon. It might be their network, but of course Microsoft can do whatever it wants with the level of control they have over their software.

Comment

well, so far (again - knock on wood) I haven't had any problems. It's a different style tool bar and buttons are in different positions from before - but it is very simple. Maybe that could be a good thing? I'll keep it for now.
                              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Working...
                              X