Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In pursuit of unwinding...

...what do you do to unwind?

I get massages. Unfortunately, this is somewhat of a hit/miss method. It is hard to tell where the therapist's head is at, how well s/he was trained, if its going to be a good engagement or my mind screaming "I should have stayed home!"

Sometimes an eager student gives a better session than a vastly-experienced one. Of course, the opposite is also quite true. What matters to me in a massage:

-good breath work. A therapist who works with my breath and finds a rythmn with me to do deep work is worth more than gold

-being present. I don't want to know about your trivia; it takes away from what I am paying for, which is the need to have you completely aware and in the moment of performing massage.

-good smells. Drench that room with all sorts of salves and balms and I am happy, happy, happy.

-Don't forget my scalp, face, chest, abdomen hands, feet and ROM techniques during the massage. I don't need 30min on my back, and never ever ask for something that long on that region.

-Lord, find me a Trager trained MT in Hawaii and I will tithe through him/her for the rest of my life.

What do you do?

pax

Re: In pursuit of unwinding...

I surf the internet to unwind, or zone out on old comedies.
    I have never had a massage.
    Since when is psycho a bad thing??
    Sharing withother survivors...
    www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Music, but mostly listening to it. Sometimes playing an instrument becomes stressful because of carpal tunnel.
      Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

I head straight for the beach and immerse myself in all those wonderful negative ions! Nature's valium!

I'm one of those, PM, who will take a 30 min. back massage over a 60 min. full body massage! I rarely get a massage 'cuz I'm paranoid about becoming addicted to them. Really! Love 'em. Too much!

Comment

If I have the time and can get an appointment (or a willing friend), a massage is great. Otherwise, reading, surfing the net or doing crafty things.

Comment

I go out at night and look up at the stars. But sometimes trying to see past the pollution and clouds is kind of hard. Both literally and symbolically.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
              I head straight for the beach and immerse myself in all those wonderful negative ions! Nature's valium!

I'm one of those, PM, who will take a 30 min. back massage over a 60 min. full body massage! I rarely get a massage 'cuz I'm paranoid about becoming addicted to them. Really! Love 'em. Too much!
              ....scurries over to sharper image to get a negative ion fan....

Seriously... honestly. My wife and I consider visiting Hawaii as our way of unwinding. There's just too much going on in our lives with work and the house that small unwinding excersises like reading, watching tv, surfing the net and whatnot just isn't enough and so far, every 18 months or so, we get the itch to take a mental health vacation. Maybe it's those negative ions lol.

My skin proves to me that I'm unwinding when I'm there. See... I have psoriasis (not to be confused with the alcolol ralated liver disease) which is a skin disorder where my immune system is over active and over produces skin cells. The skin doesn't go through it's normal life cycles and I get scaly buildup in certain places. Well...stress for me makes it worse!!!! The more stressful I am, the worse my skin gets. Within the first 2 days of being in Hawaii, my skin undergoes an extremely noticeable change and the scaling nearly disappears. That action alone makes me extremely happy
              -kp!

Comment

every summer our extended family rents a beach house about 30 miles away for 10 days. It allows us to go to work and go home and feed the animals, but gives us a different view, place to lay our head, 'ohana time with each other, new smells, different water to swim in, etc. It gives us that opportunity to have a vacation while being as connected as we need to in our daily world.

pax

Comment

Me and the misses go for massages too. This Chinese place she's been going to for years does great massages, Super strong shiatsu works best for me. I get big time knotted up in my upper right back from being on the computer all day, but they work back and front, if you like.

In a pinch, I go to the Burbank Mall where they have these Chinese guys set up with chairs, and they can get a bad kink worked out in 20 min.

I'm in total agreement with kung pao....Hawaii is my destination for unwinding, and mental rejuvination. Try to do it once a year, but every 18 months is more the reality, that is, until I reach my goal of it being a second home.

Other than that...my new thing, bike riding is another one.

Also, a trip to the ocean, usually Santa Monica is always a good way to get my chi back in order.
                  http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                  Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                  Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

There's only one place foa me to unwind ~ Chinatown!

Auntie Lynn
                    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
                      [...] I'm in total agreement with kung pao....Hawaii is my destination for unwinding, and mental rejuvination.[...]
                      I agree with both of you...which is why I made so many trips to Hawaii...which is then why I moved to Hawaii. I just plain, ol' feel better here. I'm never too far from the ocean...can always get a "fix".

It's interesting to watch my townie friends when they come out to spend the day at Makaha with me. Within a half hour they're slouching on the couch, followed by nodding off and the head slowly dropping and jerking back. Eventually they give in, get into the prone position and snore for 2 hours. The first time my daughter visited me after I moved to Makaha it took her 4 days to 'adjust'. She thought she was coming down with something because she couldn't stay awake! She planned her visit for 5 days and extended it for another 5 days! I welcomed her to the world of relaxation! She'd forgotten what it was like.
                      [...]Also, a trip to the ocean, usually Santa Monica is always a good way to get my chi back in order.
                      Yep! SM has negative ions, too!

Comment

I go out to my yard whip out the recliner and snooze away while the heavens above dance with a display of shooting stars and the parade of the Milky Way. Out where I live, nights are dark and quiet (with an occasional coqui frog). The stars shine bright as there aren't any city lights to diffuse the night sky. The air is clear as there is no pollution from the city. The sound is quiet and only of the waves crashing on the nearby shore.

And the best part of Lower Puna is that air traffic is routed around Mauna Kea and planes arrive from the other side of Hilo and not from Puna so there is absolutely no air traffic except for the occasional Coast Guard or survey planes that infrequently pass over.

Peace and quiet on a balmy night in my recliner. That's how I unwind...but then it's hard to get wound up here on the Big Island.
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                          I agree with both of you...which is why I made so many trips to Hawaii...which is then why I moved to Hawaii. I just plain, ol' feel better here. I'm never too far from the ocean...can always get a "fix".

It's interesting to watch my townie friends when they come out to spend the day at Makaha with me. Within a half hour they're slouching on the couch, followed by nodding off and the head slowly dropping and jerking back. Eventually they give in, get into the prone position and snore for 2 hours. The first time my daughter visited me after I moved to Makaha it took her 4 days to 'adjust'. She thought she was coming down with something because she couldn't stay awake! She planned her visit for 5 days and extended it for another 5 days! I welcomed her to the world of relaxation! She'd forgotten what it was like.

Yep! SM has negative ions, too!
                          Sue, you got the life o' Riley out there in Makaha. Beautiful country up there. Fire up the grill and chow down as the sun sets....did that once or twice up there when I stayed at the PRINCESS. Watched the retirees line up and blow into the conch shells....awesome!

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                          I go out to my yard whip out the recliner and snooze away while the heavens above dance with a display of shooting stars and the parade of the Milky Way. Out where I live, nights are dark and quiet (with an occasional coqui frog). The stars shine bright as there aren't any city lights to diffuse the night sky. The air is clear as there is no pollution from the city. The sound is quiet and only of the waves crashing on the nearby shore.

And the best part of Lower Puna is that air traffic is routed around Mauna Kea and planes arrive from the other side of Hilo and not from Puna so there is absolutely no air traffic except for the occasional Coast Guard or survey planes that infrequently pass over.

Peace and quiet on a balmy night in my recliner. That's how I unwind...but then it's hard to get wound up here on the Big Island.
                          I remeber those stars out in Puna when I hiked out to the lava flow. The looked so big, and there were so many of them. It was pretty breathtaking.

Unfortunately I didn't get to do that this past trip in December, but man I remember it well from my first trip.
                          http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                          Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                          Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
                            Sue, you got the life o' Riley out there in Makaha. Beautiful country up there. Fire up the grill and chow down as the sun sets....did that once or twice up there when I stayed at the PRINCESS. Watched the retirees line up and blow into the conch shells....awesome![...]
                            The snow birds at Surfside take their beach chairs and beverages of choice <g> out to the ocean's edge at happy hour and take turns blowing a conch shell at the nanosecond of sunset every night. If there's a green flash, they cheer! Me too!

Work gets between Riley and me but it's much less stressful to work next to the ocean than in the bowels of Kakaako. Gotta get in the car to get my ocean fix! Heaven forbid! Regardless, doing what I do in Hawaii is less stressful than doing what I do in LA! Yesterday I so wanted to retire. Today I can't imagine it! Decisions. Decisions!

Comment

- Plugging into my iPod Shuffle gets me motivated and pumped... Plus it takes me away from the BS scenarios of the day..... Relaxes me

- Watching A good movie which is a rarity nowdays or watching my fave tv programs like my current fave UGLY BETTY

Comment

Working...
                              X