Surviving on a low pay job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surviving on a low pay job

I was wondering if it was possible for me to survive on a average pay job. I am not against living in an apartment. When I arrive in Hawaii I would like to possibly work in a hotel and have some kind of job there until I get settled where I can have a steady income and not living check by check. However, in the mean time I want to find out if this is possible. Would I be able to afford rent, some spending money, etc. if I worked at a hotel with a job such as bell hopper or vallet where tips are allowed. Or even possibly on the beach renting jetskis to people, waiter, etc.? Anyone know anybody working one these types of jobs and living alone? I am not looking to make one of those jobs my life time job. Just maybe a job that could last me a year or two at the most until I become an officer or fireman. I would really appreciate the help. I assume it is possible since many people on the island seem to be able to survive and are not just kids. (One last thing, I am single and have no kids, all I have to pay for is myself).

Nick

Re: Surviving on a low pay job

Originally posted by Nicholas View Post
    [...]I assume it is possible since many people on the island seem to be able to survive and are not just kids.[...]
    Many of the valets, bell hops, etc. survive by working more than one job. All 3 of the bell hops I know personally cannot survive on that job alone. One of them does not have a family. For the 2 with (small) families, the wives also work. Based on today's cost of living I'd guess it would be tough to survive on just one of any of the jobs you mentioned. And, at the risk of redundancy, no one can accurately predict what the cost of living situation will be in 3 years.

Comment

My cousin survives with his low paying service industry job by having 2-4 roommates at a time. He has his share of rent, his share of bills, food, and a car payment/gas and barely makes it if it's been a bad month with tips.
      I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Low paying jobs is just that, low paying. Or not enough to live on. Low paying jobs or minimum wage jobs weren't for those who depend on it for a living.

These kinds of jobs were meant for people like teenagers who don't have to pay for rent or mortgages, utilities or even food.

Some low paying jobs rely on tips to subsidize the difference.

Most people who have low paying jobs either don't need the money, are dependent on another family member, or subsidizes it via another job. Unfortunately there are those who can only work one job and cannot attain a higher paying job.

If you're a college kid trying to make ends meet without the aid of parents kicking in some money, there are scholarships and student loans designed to help you out.

If you're just incapable of getting a higher paying job then you need to enrich your work experience or educational background.

Being single and with no kids makes it easier for you since it's only you to take care of.

It isn't impossible but it's not gonna be a cake walk here in Paradise. You'll probably have to work two jobs to afford rent, utilities, car, blah blah blah. And you won't be eating steak everyday that's for sure.

Get to embrace McDonald's $1 menu and the nighclubs around town offering all you can eat pupus at happy hour on the cheap.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Get hired by the Police Dept and then your training is paid for.
          FutureNewsNetwork.com
          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Come to think of it even police and firemen pick up side work for extra income.

Comment

rule of thumb that works no matter where you live: live within your means.
              Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

I survived on a low paying job for a few months.

I guess I can do that because I don't pay rent and my car was paid off by my parents. Now that I have to pay my car, it'll be hard - that's why I'm about to get a second job.
                How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

And to the original poster -- your chances of moving here and actually getting one of those jobs are next to nil. Local folks always get hired first, and deservedly so. Be advised that even in the off chance you do get one of those jobs, don't expect to be real popular. You're taking away income a local person could be making. Not a good way to make friends.
                  You're far FAR from being the first person to have that same plan. Most of those who went before you either are homeless or moved away from Hawai`i FAST.
                  Consider this message a reality check.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

You can find scores of share rentals here in town for anywhere between $450-on up. "sometimes" lower. I can see on craigslist right now some for under $450. Doubtful you can live alone though. There are dorm bed type situations in Waikiki a block from the beach where you can pay about $450 a month as well.

I dont' always agree with those on this board who insist that you have a job before arriving, especially if you are by yourself and only you to worry about, but I will agree that you probably cannot live alone on the lower paying jobs. Although it depends on how much you spend for other things. Some people are happily content to spend most of their pay on housing provided they have alternative means of balancing the rest out (e.g. if you are a waiter and get meals from your employment). Me, I've found I spend FAR LESS on clothing here than I did in San Francisco. I'm talking $150 pants then vs. $20.00 at Ross now and $90 Ike Behar Shirts then vs. a $20 nice Aloha style shirt here. No need for ties here and weekends and/or days off are made for shorts and slippers. Not that you wont find clothing here that costs that much, I just find the downtown vibe here different than SF or NY's financial districts where you are more prone to be judged on what you wear. And yes, I make less than I did on the mainland and I am much happier (and 90 lbs lighter too!)

BTW I have seen "rooming" house listings for Chinatown and other areas for as low as $375 but you probably wouldn't be the only one to try to grab that.
                    Last edited by Kaukura; February 26, 2007, 08:32 PM.
                    n'importe

Comment

You could always find a rich woman here who is looking for a "boytoy".

Comment

Originally posted by Nicholas View Post
                        I was wondering if it was possible for me to survive on a average pay job. (One last thing, I am single and have no kids, all I have to pay for is myself). etc. etc. etc.

Nick
                        NO. You are not going to SURVIVE!!! It's going to be rough.

Nuff said.

Auntie Lynn
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Define average paying job. Minimum wage is what? $6.75 now? What kind of skills do you have? Do some research - rent is as high as San Fran, Milk and stuff like that costs higher then (most?) other places. Theres alot of construction jobs. Unemployment is really low now, but lowpaying job and high rent dont add up.
                          Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                            NO. You are not going to SURVIVE!!! It's going to be rough.

Nuff said.

Auntie Lynn
                            Glad somebody finally said it. Leave it to Auntie Lynn to give it to you straight.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Well, to some of your responses I will have a bachelors degree and have a higher chance of being hired. It should not take that long for me to get an officer job with the training 6 1/2 months. Immediately when I arrive I will be applying. I would be arriving in Hawaii with the following: an already paid car, 8 months rent of wherever I am moving, some additional spending money, some gas money, money for tickets home, and all clothes and necessities that I will need. I will not be arriving here with just my airplane ticket in my hand. The 8 months rent should give me enough time to apply for the officer's job (6 1/2 months training) and since I will have my car paid along with gas money, and spending money the job I will have in the meantime will just help me have even more. I figure I go down to Honolulu with the money I have apply for the job while living in an apartment in Waikiki ($1,000 or under rent/month) and if I get hired, then I will stay. If I do not get hired then back to Chicago which aint that bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X