X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on Larry Price?

Just wondering what folks are thinking about Larry Price's comments:

http://www.khnl.com/Global/story.asp...ss=1#poll60860

As an owner of a pair of blue eyes I am a bit appalled but not all that surprised.

Ah well. Life goes on.

Re: Thoughts on Larry Price?

I just voted in the online poll. Do I think Price owes Hooser an apology? Heck no. While I of course do not agree with Price (my own dad's eyes are green, after all), the only way he owes Hooser an apology is if (a) he regrets hurting/offending/insulting Hooser or (b) what he said is not what he meant. If he feels the way he feels and doesn't care (as he says) what Hooser thinks, there's no way he owes anyone an apology for exercising his right to voice his opinions.

Price was speaking for himself. Unless his employers tell him not to, what does he have to apologize for?
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
      I just voted in the online poll. Do I think Price owes Hooser an apology? Heck no. While I of course do not agree with Price (my own dad's eyes are green, after all), the only way he owes Hooser an apology is if (a) he regrets hurting/offending/insulting Hooser or (b) what he said is not what he meant. If he feels the way he feels and doesn't care (as he says) what Hooser thinks, there's no way he owes anyone an apology for exercising his right to voice his opinions.

Price was speaking for himself. Unless his employers tell him not to, what does he have to apologize for?
      He owes an apology for condemning a person SIMPLY FOR THE COLOR OF THEIR EYES. For slamming a fellow human being for something that he has no control over---the color of his eyes.

If I slammed a person for being brown-eyed, brown-skinned, Mexican, Micronesian---would it not be the same and would I not be deserving of condemnation? Of course I would. And I suppose that I, being of the disdained blue-eyed crowd, would be roundly thrashed.

Good Lord. What a horrible world we live in if we subscribe to such idiocy. In my own familia-centric world of Hispanic/Black/Asian/Caucasian, and in the life-is-too-short mentality to which I subscribe, yeah, the jerk owes the world an apology.

BTW, Scriv---that "my own dad's eyes are green, after all" reminds me, rather scarily, of folks back in NY who used to say "some of my best friends are black" when talking about their own reasons why, gee whiz, they are REALLY not racist. Ugly shit.
      Last edited by WindwardOahuRN; May 4, 2007, 11:49 PM.

Comment

I don't think you'd owe anyone an apology either. You're in a country where you're free to have whatever opinion you want, as long as having that opinion doesn't interfere with others' rights.

He owes Hooser an apology if he regrets what he said. He owes his listeners an apology if he regrets the way his listeners were affected by his words. He owes the nation an apology (and more) if his words interfered with the rights of others to do what they want to do.

I was greatly insulted by the conversation in the teacher-drug-testing thread. Did I ever demand an apology? Heck no. Some people did apologize to me, privately, because they never meant to insult me (and in fact didn't really think I should be insulted, but there it was). Did they apologize for their positions? No, and if they had, I'd have been insulted further.

You're allowed to have unpopular, hateful, hurtful opinions, WORN. Without apology.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Going on the transcript and the audio clip that KHNL provided on their web site, I think Larry Price was out of line with the color of the eyes question. I suspect he wanted to guage Senator Hooser's experience as a local and I didn't think that color of the eyes question was a valid one.

Does he need to apologize? I don't know. I also think Price was trying to slam Hooser as a slimey politican who used to come from the mainland and now represents a rural place in the state and may not know all the workings of the state of Hawaii.

Also neither the audio clip or the transcript does not have what Hooser said before Price asked the questions. All we get is Price making note that Hooser said "honest" enough times for Price to realize that he was dealing with someone doesn't speak Oahu local talk.

Comment

I don't think you'd owe anyone an apology either. You're in a country where you're free to have whatever opinion you want, as long as having that opinion doesn't interfere with others' rights.

He owes Hooser an apology if he regrets what he said. He owes his listeners an apology if he regrets the way his listeners were affected by his words. He owes the nation an apology (and more) if his words interfered with the rights of others to do what they want to do.

I was greatly insulted by the conversation in the teacher-drug-testing thread. Did I ever demand an apology? Heck no. Some people did apologize to me, privately, because they never meant to insult me (and in fact didn't really think I should be insulted, but there it was). Did they apologize for their positions? No, and if they had, I'd have been insulted further.

You're allowed to have unpopular, hateful, hurtful opinions, WORN. Without apology.
            A person is entitled to many things, without apology, I suppose.

But I don't subscribe that one is entitled to racist comments without challenge.

Even in Hawaii.

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
              BTW, Scriv---that "my own dad's eyes are green, after all" reminds me, rather scarily, of folks back in NY who used to say "some of my best friends are black" when talking about their own reasons why, gee whiz, they are REALLY not racist. Ugly shit.
              What I meant to say by "my own dad's eyes are green" is that I'm haole. I think I should be allowed to clarify my disagreement with Larry Price and to support my disagreement with a good reason. The fact that I'm haole and disagreeing with Price and still insisting he owes nobody an apology is meant to strengthen my position. I don't see where the ugliness is, unless you think that anyone who supports Price's right to say what he wants therefore agrees with him. I don't think that's what you mean.

But I don't subscribe that one is entitled to racist comments without challenge.
              Oh, I absolutely agree. Challenge all you want. I challenge his position myself. I won't apologize for my beliefs and I don't ask him to apologize for his.
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Oh, I absolutely agree. Challenge all you want. I challenge his position myself. I won't apologize for my beliefs and I don't ask him to apologize for his.
                Why not? Why shouldn't people be asked to apologize for hurtful comments?

"Oh this is my belief---that blue-eyed people are full of shit."

For crapsakes, Scriv---should this "belief" and its supposed right to existence NOT be challenged??

I honestly cannot believe the path that this discussion has taken.

Comment

After listening to audio clip, I strongly believe that Larry Price should
                  apologize for his comments to Sen. Hooser. It is one thing to imply about
                  the color of your eyes. But its a totally different thing when Larry Price implied
                  that since Sen. Hooser is from the mainland originally that his views don't
                  matter.

To me political correctness comes into play here. Its obvious that Larry Price
                  did not like Sen. Hooser's actions . But did he have to bring up the race card-
                  no. It definitely weakened his position. He should've stuck with the issues.

Lastly when you are radio personality on one of the top radio shows in
                  the State of Hawaii that gives you a lot of listeners and power. Its one
                  thing to insult a few people. But its a totally different thing when you insult thousands of people.

Talk about a local version of Don Imus.
                  Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                  The Kona Blog

Comment

I guess the esteemed Dr. Price forgot that Michael W. Perry is originally from Michigan. I wonder if he doesn't trust his partner of over 25 years as well because he wasn't born here.

BTW; Hooser has lived here for over 37 years. I think he might be close to assimilating regardless of his blue eyes.

Comment

The Hawaii State Senate owes all of us an apology for their dismal representation of the people of Hawaii. Hooser shouldn't have been singed out... there are brown eyed locals in the Senate who are equally slimey!

Comment

Originally posted by Keanu View Post
                        The Hawaii State Senate owes all of us an apology for their dismal representation of the people of Hawaii. Hooser shouldn't have been singed out... there are brown eyed locals in the Senate who are equally slimey!
                        I agree. Especially, one broad in dee Senate!
                        (Remember da MWH Resolutions!)

Excerpt from AuntiePupule.com: http://www.auntiepupule.com/blog/index.php?id=1026
                        "They are those in office who are there for themselves and those who are there for the people. Power can change people. Too bad for those who continue to remain in power by thinking they can continue to be that way. Today is of a different times. People will remember and VOTE to get them OUT!

Politicians are put in office by the people of their Districts! They are there to make sure Truth and Laws are made."

Yeeehaaaaaaa!

Giff um Keanu!

Auntie Lynn
                        Last edited by 1stwahine; May 5, 2007, 08:07 AM.
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

To imply that any talk show host is a journalist impugns the profession. He might read the news onair and certainly elicits comments from his audience, but I hardly call it good journalism when a radio show invites a person to be interviewed and then bushwhacks him with comments that have no relevance to the topic at hand. Doesn't matter what kind of talk show it is, all of the hosts have a specific POV and will do whatever it takes to get that point across. So they can't be objective, no matter what, because if they were, their ratings would suffer.

Miulang
                          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Here's the Advertiser take on this

http://honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/p...0336/1007/NEWS

Comment

Originally posted by Media Guy View Post
                              I guess the esteemed Dr. Price forgot that Michael W. Perry is originally from Michigan. I wonder if he doesn't trust his partner of over 25 years as well because he wasn't born here.
                              Hmm. Da buggah looks blue eyed to me.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X