Passing Mentions of Hawaii in Non-Hawaii Books, TV, Other Media

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passing Mentions of Hawaii in Non-Hawaii Books, TV, Other Media

I'll start this thread by noting that, in last night's Will & Grace season premiere, Karen (Megan Mullally) had written a song over the summer. Karen said she and "Rosie" (her maid Rosario) went to Hawaii and stayed at the Halekulani. Karen also mentioned Rosie's ukulele-playing.

Re: Passing Mentions of Hawaii in Non-Hawaii Books, TV, Other Media

Fun! My wife and I do this all the time. Every time someone mentions Hawaii, we go, "Cha-ching!" Imagining some seedy underworld of marketing payoffs.

Just off the top of my head, Hawaii's name has recently been dropped on Sesame Street (some magic ukulele sketch), one of the CSI franchises (a throwaway line about where a character had recently been), one of those reality shows (as a prize), and more than a few TV commercials ostensibly for other consumer products but selling the islands as well as some ideal goal or reward for success (i.e. credit cards).

So yes, let's hear more! There'll be too many exhibits to count, I'm sure, after only even one month of heavy media consumption.

Comment

Heeheehee! Even if Linda Lingle and her administration do nothing else for you guys, you can thank her and www.gohawaii.com (HCVB) for bringing you beaucoup more touristas and their kala...now if you were smart, you'd also have signs at HNL airport saying, "We love your money, please enjoy your stay but don't even think about living here!" (Hey, it worked in Oregon for awhile).

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

product placement...typical marketing ploy but in this case it's image placement.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Today's (Oct. 12) "Luann" comic strip: Aaron Hill, on whom Luann has had a longtime crush, tells her he's moving with his family to Hawaii.

Comment

Originally posted by BKHale2007
            Today's (Oct. 12) "Luann" comic strip: Aaron Hill, on whom Luann has had a longtime crush, tells her he's moving with his family to Hawaii.
            Aargh! I'm three weeks behind in my comics reading, and you tell me that?
            http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Here's the big announcement. And Link, you can always catch up in one marathon browsing session...

Comment

Aaron specifies where he'll be living: Kailua on O'ahu.

Comment

Interesting detail. "Sounds romantic... You'll fall for an exotic bikini beauty with a flower in her hair and I'll never see you again." Heh. I suppose this is still writing Aaron out, though. I don't know how a LDR would play in comic book form.

Comment

What's an LDR?

Comment

LDR = long distance relationship / romance.

Comment

Wednesday's Pearls Before Swine has one of Rat's friends that he ignores writing from Waikiki.

Friday's JAG and Dr. Vegas had passing references to Hawaii in the epsiode.

Comment

Actually Alphonse the porcupine called from Hawaii.

http://www.comics.com/comics/pearls/...-20041013.html

Thanks for posting the PBS, JAG, and Dr. Vegas mentions, however.
                          Last edited by BKHale2007; October 18, 2004, 07:08 AM.

Comment

In today's strip, Brad unintentionally reminds Luann of Aaron's moving to Hawaii when he talks of "hose lays."

Comment

This isn't a passing mention but an in-depth article about Niihau:

"The Paradox of the Last Untouched Island on Earth: Another Look at Niihau" by Jennifer Margulis, Ph.D., Gauntlet Magazine 24, pp. 35-42.

http://www.gauntletpress.com/MagazinePDF/Issue24.pdf

Comment

Working...
                              X