Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Did You Know?

Did you know...

The more you try to avoid someone, the more likely you'll run into them!
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

The Summer solstice officially occurs today, June 21, 2007.

Autumn (fall) equinox will occur on September 23, 2007.

Blah blah blah. This is Hawaii, where we can barbecue, sun 'n surf all year 'round!
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Let's make this a bit more interesting...........

There is only 1 word in the English language that begins with UND, and ends with UND.

Can you figure out what that word is ? And yes, looking it up in the dictionary or internet will be considered cheating.

DD
        www.myspace.com/chrislunainstrumentals

Comment

Originally posted by DiverDown808 View Post
          Let's make this a bit more interesting...........

There is only 1 word in the English language that begins with UND, and ends with UND.

Can you figure out what that word is ? And yes, looking it up in the dictionary or internet will be considered cheating.

DD
          Underfund?

Comment

If you see signs like this on the road around Amarillo, TX it means a prison is nearby.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
              Underfund?
              I was thinking underground but obviously I was wrong.

I guess I wont do that again......

DD
              www.myspace.com/chrislunainstrumentals

Comment

I immediately thought "underfund" too!

Wanted to revive this thread because I thought it was SO funny!

Is it true that if you sneeze with your eyes open, they'll pop out? Sven and I thought about that one a few days ago, but we're both too chicken to even think about trying it!! Tee hee, thank goodness!
                ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                  Is it true that if you sneeze with your eyes open, they'll pop out?
                  "Mythbusters" tackled that one and busted it, I do believe.

Comment

Did you know that.....

aircrew for the military are not allowed to fly on any given day if they can't "val salvo" I think is how it's spelled, the leaning their heads back, holding the nose closed and blowing, to clear the ears, sort of thing? (toally useless info...did I "do good?" lol)

More useful...did you know that the food our veterinarians sell is NOT the best that can be had, on island or anywhere else, probably?? The more my daughter has studied up on this and I mean for years, and educated me on it, the more surprised I am that the names of brands she has given me, and I read the labels online....I am shocked that the kibble for dogs and cats...the best few brands are not sold in any vet's office that I have yet to find.

Some animal breeders and some pet stores on island do sell what is truly the best ingredients if and when people can afford it. It comes to about two dollars a pound but is more nutritious and many animal lovers that report about these lesser-known brands do report at animal forums that their animal eats less, poops less on the best kibbles and therefore that it's financially worth it to buy the best.

(daughter's vet. tried to get her to buy one of the brands in the office while her cattle dog was already on something better)
                    Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Originally posted by Karen View Post
                      aircrew for the military are not allowed to fly on any given day if they can't "val salvo" I think is how it's spelled, the leaning their heads back, holding the nose closed and blowing, to clear the ears, sort of thing?
                      "Valsalva maneuver." I never knew it had a name; thanks for that one.

Comment

Did you know there actually was a fort on Fort Street in Honolulu?

Back in the early 1800's, Russian fur traders were coming to the islands for fruit, vegetables and meat. One of those ship captains, Yury Lisyanski considered taking over Hawaii, without the knowledge or permission of the Russian Emperor.

In 1815 the Russians built a fort at Honolulu Harbor and another one near Waimea, Kauai. Upon hearing about this, King Kamehameha I expelled the Russians from the fort. Then under Governor John Adams Kuakini, the fort was rebuilt to become the largest structure in the islands during that time.

By the 1850's, the fort fell into disrepair and was torn down. Some of its rubble remains are still visible today in the waters off Nimitz highway across the Amfac building.

Fort street began where the fort was located approximately where Nimitz Highway is today, and ran all the way up to Pacific Heights Drive. At around 1898, it became Hawaii's first paved street.

Source: The Companies We Keep 2

*Above is a rewritten summary from the actual publication.

P.S. Big mahalo to the author and member here, Creative-1, for giving me a hand-delivered, autographed copy! This is an absolutely fascinating follow-up to the first edition. Anyone who lives, or has lived in Hawaii NEEDS to have these books!
                        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Leo, the flight surgeons in the Navy use the term, but the E.N.T. we saw for our daughter's allergies didn't use the term, but he did tell her/us to do that a lot, all day long when the mold/mildew allergies are bothering her.
                          Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

did you know that asthma never really goes away? once you have had it, you will always have it?
                            "chaos reigns within.
                            reflect, repent and reboot.
                            order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Originally posted by Karen View Post
                              [...]More useful...did you know that the food our veterinarians sell is NOT the best that can be had, on island or anywhere else, probably??[...]
                              Altho' this is dated information (told to my dad during a dog food commercial shoot in the 1950s ), the technology is (was back then!) available to treat fleas via dog food. That isn't (wasn't?) done because, at that time, 75% of all dog food purchases were for human consumption. While the camera was rolling during one take, the dog, who was trained (and starved!) to run into frame and start gobbling his food decided to, instead, run into frame, sniff and lift his leg on the bag of kibble, propped for camera next to the food dish!

Possibly in this day and age, dog food prescribed by and sold thru vets addresses this problem. Dunno as I haven't had an animal at home...the furry kind!!!...in at least 20 years.

Come to think of it, why isn't heartworm treated via food rather than a pill? I dog sat for a friend in the 1990s and that pooch always rebelled against that pill! Or is that no longer an issue?

Comment

did you know: That the concentration of odorant in Propane gas is so low that Tesoro uses only a gallon of the stuff in a daily production of Propane?
                                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                                X