Favorite Hawaii Beach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Hawaii Beach

The Travel Channel ran a marathon today on some absolutely beautiful beaches around the world.

This was their pick of the Top 10 Hawaiian Beaches:
    1. Lanikai beach - Oahu
    2. The North Shore (including Waimea Bay, Pipeline and Sunset) - Oahu
    3. Punalu'u (black sand) beach - Big Island of Hawaii
    4. Ho'okipa beach - Maui
    5. Lahaina beach - Maui
    6. Poipu beach - Kauai
    7. Kauna'oa beach - Big Island of Hawaii
    8. Ka'anapali beach - Maui
    9. Honaunau Bay - Big Island of Hawaii
    10. Waikiki - Oahu

Surely many of you - whether local or visitor - will disagree with this list. I sort of do. My girlfriend is from Maui and can't believe Ho'okipa made #4. Totally blown out unless you're a windsurfer. I guess it depends what your activity at any particular beach is, which can be many!

Where is your favorite Hawaii beach?
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Favorite Hawaii Beach

Kalepolepo in South Maui, mostly because the touristas don't know about it...yet. And because it was an ancient Hawaiian fishpond.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Maui - Charlie Young Beach at the end of Kamaole I

Comment

Makapu'u Beach - Oahu

'Cause you can boogie board/body surf, or just swim, explore around both edges, suntan or find some shade if needed, never seems to get too crowded, though there's usually a few bikinis to watch!

All around good.
        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

I have two favorite beaches -- Polihale on Kauai, where you can hear mountain goats on the cliffs, and Makaha.

Comment

Hamoa Beach, Hana Maui
            Oggboy/Can lidat
            bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Lydgate Park in Wailua, Kauai. I don't know when they placed the rocks but it forms two protected pools from the usual rough East Kauai swells. The bigger of the two pools (which is shown in the photo) gets to be around 5ft or more in depth and is great for snokeling, can see fish swimming around close to the rocks.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by helen; July 28, 2007, 06:46 PM. Reason: add another photo

Comment

i like going to the "turtle beach" on the north shore of oahu, even tho there was once a turtle who mistook my black boyshort bikini-clad okole for a rock and came thisclose to biting it in search of seaweed.

someone, please enlighten me as to its proper name.

another beach i would like to go to again is little beach on maui.
                superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
                  i like going to the "turtle beach" on the north shore of oahu, even tho there was once a turtle who mistook my black boyshort bikini-clad okole for a rock and came thisclose to biting it in search of seaweed.

This site says it's called Laniakea Beach.
                  www.northshore.com/hawaii/beach-lani.asp

I think I've heard my husband-surfer talk about Laniakea's -- maybe a surf spot near the turtle beach? Maybe not.

Comment

Punalu'u (Ka'u on Big Island) - very dangerous current;

Hapuna - since we lacked "real" beaches in Hilo, we'd drive 65 miles to Hapuna on weekends when we were in high school. There, we'd meet the girls from Kona and the Hamakua coast.

Comment

Waimanalo Beach, especially the Magnum Beach and Hidden Beach areas.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by MatildaRose View Post
                        [...]and Makaha.
                        High five, MatildaRose! All along the Waianae Coast there are some beautiful beaches. During big surf I love to sit on Makaha Beach and live vicariously thru those in the water!!! Otherwise, the view from my living room will do just fine...
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                          High five, MatildaRose! All along the Waianae Coast there are some beautiful beaches. During big surf I love to sit on Makaha Beach and live vicariously thru those in the water!!! Otherwise, the view from my living room will do just fine...
                          Love the photo -- most definitely suitable for framing, or on the cover of a Christmas card. I love the Waianae Coast, TutuSue. Extended family from Canada had a condo at Makaha Valley Plantation until 2001. Plenty peacocks! They lived there 5 months of the year for 13 years or so, and Makaha was like my weekend home. I hear you about the big surf...look, but don't touch.

Comment

Originally posted by MatildaRose View Post
                            This site says it's called Laniakea Beach.
                            www.northshore.com/hawaii/beach-lani.asp

I think I've heard my husband-surfer talk about Laniakea's -- maybe a surf spot near the turtle beach? Maybe not.
                            Yes, the beach in question is Laniakea Beach or just Lani's. The surf break is a couple of hundred yards from shore.

When tourists ask me where "turtle beach" is located, I tell them I don't know of any beach on the North Shore that goes by that name.

Comment

... another beach i would like to go to again is little beach on maui.
                              Yeah, "Little Makena" is a Great beach!
                              Many years ago I was anchored off of Kamaole 1 in Kihei and would ride my bicycle all the way down there to go swimming, snorkling, play volleyball, and...
                              Yeah, "Little Makena" is a Great beach.
                              Last edited by Menehune Man; July 29, 2007, 08:14 AM.
                              Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X