Newcomer Questions..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newcomer Questions..

I finally arrived here on Oahu, what a journey it was! I am just so happy and grateful to be here!

I have a few questions that I'm sure the long time residents can help me with. First of all, what kind of auto insurance must I carry here? Is it "no-fault"? Which companies seem to be good for insurance? My car is in port, and I'll be picking it up tomorrow.

Will I have to buy new license plates if mine are good until next May? What about my driver's license?

Since there is no Whole Foods store on the island, is there something comparable? Maybe...a farmer's market of some sort? Will they have organic produce?

Thanks all, I've been having a wonderful time since I got here, even though I get lost every day, lol! I should be fully employed by Tuesday afternoon, as I've had two interviews, and one pending.

Re: Newcomer Questions..

Welcome to Hawaii Hope!

Assuming you have the title of your vehicle, you can get more information from here: Motor Vehicle Transfers. And here, Driver License Info.

The day I picked up my vehicle from the dock, I drove to GEICO secured my no-fault insurance, drove to Jiffy Lube and conducted a Safety Inspection then drove to the Satellite City Hall and took the written test to switch out my driver's license and also to register my vehicle with the State of Hawaii.

I don't know the actual deadlines (although I believe it's a question on the written test ) but it's better to get it done as soon as possible, and I'm sure you've budgeted for this expense prior to your move.

For location purposes, the GEICO office I visited from the docks is located at 711 Kapiolani Boulevard.
    ___
    "Be god to each other."

Comment

If your current insurance is with a national company (and if you like that company), talk to someone there. I've had policies with GEICO and AIG and have been much happier with AIG. Of course, "happy" is a relative term, as I've been paying them for nearly ten years with never a claim. Tough to be happy about just giving someone else my money.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Hope View Post
        I finally arrived here on Oahu, what a journey it was! I am just so happy and grateful to be here!
        Welcome!
        I have a few questions that I'm sure the long time residents can help me with. First of all, what kind of auto insurance must I carry here? Is it "no-fault"? Which companies seem to be good for insurance? My car is in port, and I'll be picking it up tomorrow.
        Yes, it's no-fault. When I moved here I just went with the same insurance company, different agent obviously!
        Will I have to buy new license plates if mine are good until next May? What about my driver's license?
        I believe your plates are good until then. I also think your DL is good until expiration. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Regardless, you might find it easier living in Hawaii with a Hawaii drivers license. That way you can get kamaaina discounts. <ggg>
        Since there is no Whole Foods store on the island, is there something comparable? Maybe...a farmer's market of some sort? Will they have organic produce?
        Try Kokua foods on S. King in Moiliili or Huckleberry Farms in Liliha. Others can offer you insight to farmer's markets. Whole Foods is due soon.
        Thanks all, I've been having a wonderful time since I got here, even though I get lost every day, lol! I should be fully employed by Tuesday afternoon, as I've had two interviews, and one pending.
        Wow! I'm impressed that, after 2 (almost 3) interviews, you'll land a job. Good for you! And, yah, getting lost is standard. The good news is, no matter where you end up it'll most likely be beautiful!

Comment

Aloha and Welcome to Hawai`i HOPE!
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

If you get lost, don't take advice from anyone who tells you to just look for the street name that starts with the letter "K".
            That would include 80% or so of all street names here.

And good luck to you on the job situation!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Thanks for the DMV web site! Oh, and I forgot about the discounts, thanks for the reminder...I loooove discounts!

I'm wondering what the price difference will be on insurance? LV has the highest rates in the nation...well, with 700 DUI arrests a month, it's no wonder! Thanks for this info, I have Farmer's, but I don't think they have any offices here in Hawaii. I'll try Geico and AIG.

Whole Foods was my haven in LV, LOVE the buffet they have, some foods I'd never even heard of, and yummy, too. If some of you haven't been to a Whole Foods yet, you're in for a BIG treat!

I had one interview lined up before I got here, he had called me in Las Vegas, it was at the beautiful Moana Surfrider. I haven't heard from them yet. So the very next day, I dressed up, armed myself with resumes, and hit the pavement!

Then, I attended the job quest, and felt like I'd hit the jackpot! The employers at the job fair were all just awesome, and I'll have to say, I'm not used to interviewers being so....well...NICE.

Thank you all for the warm welcome. If you see me in the red car, driving like I'm lost, it's because I AM....haaaalp! haha!

I am truly in a different world...and that's just what I wanted. I feel like the luckiest lady in the world!

Comment

Working...
              X