What Have You Ever Won?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Have You Ever Won?

I just finished posting on the lottery thread again, and it's fun stuff to talk about, so it hit me that I oughta start this one and any of us that wish can tell each other what we've won in our lives, per sweepstakes or contests with prizes.

I play the lotto mainly cuz I dunno why but I've had luck throughout my life of winning things, and always felt that though it feels and sounds too good to be true that I probably have one "big" win coming in my life,so I play Publisher's Clearinghouse online, and lotteries through friends and family in Texas. I'm even in the lotto in texas through two different people at times, one in San Antonio and other in Dallas area.

Okay! I am 50 and when I was 12yrs. old I won 100. bucks on a radio station, but it was Friday the 13th. and first day of a contest where we had to guess which celebrity they had recorded whispering into the mic. It was Ms. Whisper contest, then Mr. whisper, once they had a winner, and they gave a few clues every day, or intended to, but I won on the 13th. the first day of the contest, and actually cuz I have a sister named Diana and it was Diana Ross whispering, and I got in when dialing a bunch and didn't even have a name to guess,so I looked at my sis, gave that name and freaked them and me out, cuz I won.

It's gets stranger....three years and one day later on an Oct. 14th, yes I won another 100. bucks on the same radio station in the afternoon, after school and the university Texas/Oklahoma football game was that weekend, and I had told a dear friend at school that I was giong to go home and win something so I could go to the game, and then I did, LOL.

I've won a five thousand dollar savings bond, that was my biggest, in a drawing in a store on base years ago, a hundred dollars free groceries and a red wagon for kids by having my entry drawn out of a huge box. All of these were a few years apart in the same store, but the drawings were by different vendors, hence it being allowed for me to win repeatedly cuz I was a customer of each of them separately.

I won a cheap camera, concert tickets, coke and chips, and albums on the radio when in jr. high and high school.

I won a 25. buck gift certificate in a grocery store by just standing in the checkout and a gal from their offices walking up to one customer each hour, randomly.

I sat with hubby at an awards dinner and we won a stereo when our name was drawn out of the box, but since hubby had helped put the awards and prize thing together we of course told them no way, put our name back in and draw again, but it's just a trip how many times I've won stuff.
    Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Re: What Have You Ever Won?~

I won a sports tournament by default when I was the only contestant to show up. It was the best day of my life.

Comment

When I was about 9 years old I won a box of Morton iodized salt (I remember "iodized" being important!) when I was the correct caller with the correct answer in a radio station contest. I received the coupon in the mail and was absolutely thrilled to redeem it at the neighborhood grocery store! It was a gift to my parents!

Last year I won a door prize...a 2 night's stay at the Sheraton Waikiki. Not too shabby! I used it for the week-end of Don Ho's services in Waikiki. My room was right above and overlooking the private service. I played tourist the rest of the week-end. Fun!

Comment

I dominated three 6th graders in basketball yesterday. 3-on-1, I might add.

Guesstimating, my stat line would read: 20 pts., 12 reb (2 offensive), 12 blocks, 2 steals.

*pops collar*
        Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Cool, y'all! Two sports winners, dang y'all are good, and Sue, not a bit shabby. What timing you had when you claimed and used the big one.

Comment

I got one.heheheh

Several years ago, I was recovering from the flu. Dragging my arse to my daughter's room, I asked her for twenty-five dollars.

"What do you need twenty-five dollars for?" she grumbled.

"I want to enter the Karaoke Contest and there's an entrance fee."

"No lie, you just like go drink!" She scolded me.

"I promise I will win the prize and come straight home."

I went to the Club, everyone was there. I was the last to register from eighteen contestants. Two of three Judges, Kimo Mansfield and Karen Keawehawaii.

Two songs sung by each contestant. Everyone had family and friends...I had none. I was the second to the last. I went up and did my thing.heheheh

We were all called up to the stage to await the announcement of the winner.

There would only be one for the beautiful Tahitian Pearl/Diamond Necklace with the 14K Gold Chain.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Upon receiving it, I wen hele home and gave it to my daughter who proudly wears it around her neck today.

Auntie Lynn

I won a Sony DVD Player at a Neighborhood Meeting.

And I won my fiance. Nah, nah...just JOKING.

Made ya laugh!!
            Last edited by 1stwahine; September 27, 2007, 02:50 PM.
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

When I was 15 I won 3 dozen LP's from a radio station...can't recall which station.

Won several rounds of golf in our members league....one weekend our foursome won $200.

In August I won two free rounds at Luana Hills Country Club through Hawaii.com...what an awesome course! Used the passes on my trip this month.

Lovena
              Lovena

Comment

Oh Auntie, you rocked it! LOL I am soo diggin your story and thank you for sharing. So cool that your daughter still wears it. I bet she's so proud of you.

Wow Eastcoast, quality prizes for sure! Keep playin cuz it's payin off.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
                  Guesstimating, my stat line would read: 20 pts., 12 reb (2 offensive), 12 blocks, 2 steals.
                  What, no assists? What a hog-cheese! Mike, you crack me up.

Originally posted by EastCoastTropics View Post
                  When I was 15 I won 3 dozen LP's from a radio station...can't recall which station.
                  Hey, what about that lovely prize you won in the HT Trivia Contest, v 1.0?

Here are a few of the things I've won:
                  • CDs from Z-Rock, that old satellite heavy metal station, for being able to name the members of King's X.
                  • Concert tickets from Star 101.9 for the Jars of Clay show at the Hawaii Theater (great concert) for recognizing a scrambled-up snippet of the Tubes' "She's a Beauty."
                  • A painter's cap with flaps for some music trivia answer from KIKI.
                  • Some cool Starbucks stuff and a L'Uraku gift certificate for honorable mention in the Honolulu Magazine fiction contest.
                  • A Lizard Loft t-shirt and gift certificate at Java Java for winning a poetry slam.
                  • A copy of the International Directory of Little Magazines and Small Presses for winning a creative writing contest at UH-Hilo.
                  • The Oxford Dictionary of Quotations for winning the same contest the next year.
                  • $25 for a Myrtle Clarke creative writing award from the UH-Manoa English department.
                  • Lunch at the school cafeteria for second-place in the air-band contest my junior year. We did VH's "Panama."
                  • About $4500 on Wheel of Fortune.
                  • Countless fries, burgers, and drinks in the McDonalds Monopoly game.
                  • And I may already have won $42,000,000 from Publisher's Clearinghouse.
                  But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Scrivener, beautiful list!

WOO HOO you were on Wheel of Fortune, that is beyond cool. Do you have a copy of the show you were on? (no, not buggin you to see it, just hoping you got to keep it for your own memory-tripping)

PS, the creative writing contest! Dang, I forgot about getting published in the high school scholastic publications, poetry once and a short essay another. They gave us a copy as an actual prize.

Comment

Outside of the usual door prizes, the one I remember was being the right caller to win a Shnazz album. Good trick considering I was calling from the East-West Center - the last outpost of rotary dial phones at that time.

Pretty happy about that since I was considering buying the album anyway.

Comment

On two different trips to Vegas I managed to win a royal flush on a poker machine.

Subtracting what I LOST on those poker machines, well...! :-)

And then there was the time when a woman sitting near me won twice. On the same machine in about 15 minutes! And that same trip someone else sitting next to me got a royal flush.

Comment

I just remembered while typing on another thread that I won thirty dollars on ten that I set aside to play on slot machines at the Vegas airport. Had never played them before and haven't since, and probably never will, again.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                            What, no assists? What a hog-cheese! Mike, you crack me up.
                            I was gonna pursue a quadruple double, but I can't pass to myself.
                            Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

One time I was on my way home from windsurfing lessons in Corpus Christi, TX and decided to make a quick stop at the botanical gardens fundraising fiesta. I felt bad because there was hardly anyone there. They were having a raffle and since I only had a couple of dollars on me, I wrote a $20 check to buy 20 raffle tickets. I wasn't even sure what they were raffling but I felt sorry for them having such a poor turnout. I never told my hubby that I had stopped at the festival or entered the raffle. The next day, he got a phone call at home and they wanted to let me know that I had won an all expense paid vacation to Cancun, Mexico. Of course, my hubby thought it was a solicitor and said, "Yea, right...what's the catch?". Once he realized that it was for real, he was thrilled! We had a GREAT time on that much needed vacation.
                              Whenever there is a contest, hubby always makes me enter because he says that I'm the one with the luck. I've won a weekend getaway to Schlitterbaum Water Park in Texas including 2 nights lodgigin, a Tahitian pearl necklace, $200 in American Express Gift Certificates (shared that with my friend, Kalona, because she had paid for my ticket to the event), concert tickets to the Soul Jam at the Blaisdell (brought Kalona to that one too), CDs and other goodies at a Hula Hoop contest, concert tickets to some Country Western artists gigs that I can't remember now, and numerous door prizes.
                              My motto is...."Someone's gotta win, so it might as well be me!"

Comment

Working...
                              X