Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 in a restaurant booth: sit across or next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 in a restaurant booth: sit across or next?

When it's just you and your significant other being seated in a four-person restaurant booth, do the two of you sit on the same side or on opposite sides?

I used to have a girlfriend that liked sitting next to me on the same side. I could never get used to that. I'm an opposite-sides kind of guy.

You?
    Next to each other on same side
    9.38%
    Across each other on opposite sides
    90.63%

Re: 2 in a restaurant booth: sit across or next?

Opposite - so we can gaze, googly-eyed, at each other all through the meal, and make the other diners jealous. Or nauseated. Whatever.

Seriously, opposite sides makes it easier to converse during the meal.

Comment

Originally posted by zff View Post
      When it's just you and your significant other being seated in a four-person restaurant booth, do the two of you sit on the same side or on opposite sides?

I used to have a girlfriend that liked sitting next to me on the same side. I could never get used to that. I'm an opposite-sides kind of guy.

You?
      I like my personal space when I'm eating/drinking. I also like being able to go to the bathroom without having to trouble the boy to get out of my way and vice versa.

When I used to work at the bar, the waitresses and I used to make fun of the couples that'd sit next to each other...ESPECIALLY the ones guilty of PDA. Blech.
      Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
      We're not here to mess around
      Boston, you know we love you madly
      Hear the crowd roar to your sound
      Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
      You know we couldn't live without you
      Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
        I like my personal space when I'm eating/drinking. I also like being able to go to the bathroom without having to trouble the boy to get out of my way and vice versa.

When I used to work at the bar, the waitresses and I used to make fun of the couples that'd sit next to each other...ESPECIALLY the ones guilty of PDA. Blech.
        Depending which bar you worked (and how much they drank), sometimes Public Displays of Affection can take "seating" to a whole new level. Not sitting next to each other, but her "sitting" on top of him.

We too like our space at the dining table and always sit across each other.

What's funny is going to a restaurant in a side-by-side seating situation with a friend of the same sex (male and male). Gotta' have that "We're not gay" empty chair between the two of us. lol

Another thing to note is that I'm left-handed. So when seated side-by-side, it's best if I'm on the left end of the table, otherwise we're bumping elbows.
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
          When I used to work at the bar, the waitresses and I used to make fun of the couples that'd sit next to each other...ESPECIALLY the ones guilty of PDA.
          I agree that restaurants are inappropriate places to use a Personal Digital Assistant. (That was the "PDA" you meant, wasn't it? )
          First dates tend to be "across"... relationships that are in the early stages of passionate intimacy tend to be "next" (and if I have to explain why, that person has no sense of, um adventure. What happens under the table stays under the table.)... and after early stages of passion, it's back to "across".
          The poll didn't give me a choice that way.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Across... it makes more sense.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
              [...]
              The poll didn't give me a choice that way.
              I needed that choice, too, for the very same reason!

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                What's funny is going to a restaurant in a side-by-side seating situation with a friend of the same sex (male and male). Gotta' have that "We're not gay" empty chair between the two of us. lol
                Haha, true dat!

Anyways I voted for choice number 2. Choice number 1 is weird.

Comment

given the exact situation as described by zff, i'd say 95% across.

there are times when eric and i are sharing food and the table is just too wide and if i sat across from him, i'd make a huge mess. at those times, i sit next to him.

lika nui, i know you were being facetious, but if you saw eric and me out for dinner, you'd have better chance of seeing our PDAs (well, his is actually a smartphone HTC P3600, which he bought to replace the iPAQ he used to use and consequently gave to me) versus us making the more explicit kind of PDAs.

but we are always, clearly, very sweet on each other.
                  superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Regardless of the situation, ACROSS...it's a matter of comfort.
                    ___
                    "Be god to each other."

Comment

I am in the across camp for restaurants.

makes fundamental dining sense(from a chefs standpoint).

I can not say anything else that has not already been stated
                      flickr

An email from God:
                      To: People of Earth
                      Date: 9/04/2007
                      Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                      God

Comment

My wife and I sit next to each other. Makes it easier to have a private conversation in noisy restaurants without everyone else hearing us.

Or maybe I'm just getting deaf?

And if there's live music we can both see the entertainment instead of one having to turn around a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
                          My wife and I sit next to each other.

And if there's live music we can both see the entertainment instead of one having to turn around a lot.
                          That's a good point.

With that, sometimes the surrounding already-seated patrons play a factor on who sits where. Like if there's a group of really attractive women (or men) on a table nearby, your lady (or man) might choose the side facing them so that you're facing the opposite way and can't look and ogle at them.

Of course this would depend on age, stage and terms of your relationship, as LikaNui made a point of.
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by zff View Post

You?
                            It doesn't really matter to me, though I prefer to sit across my lady. That way I can stare at her, and we can play footsie under the table.

Though there is a benefit for sitting next to each other, but kids may be reading this.
                            Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                              First dates tend to be "across"... relationships that are in the early stages of passionate intimacy tend to be "next" (and if I have to explain why, that person has no sense of, um adventure. What happens under the table stays under the table.)... and after early stages of passion, it's back to "across".
                              I agree with this except that sometimes pre-first date can be "next to" for the reason you alluded to. That would be club/bar not restaurant though.
                              “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                              http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Working...
                              X