Your idea of a REAL vacation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your idea of a REAL vacation

Okay I'm on my second day of a week long vacation and I'm cruising the internet when I'm usually getting ready for work. I got my vacation planned out: start/finish building fence in the backyard, clean out the garage, maybe do some painting.

I could go on a cruise or something but seriously, it's the only time I can get things done around the house.

Re: Your idea of a REAL vacation

Just sit me on a beach on an island and I'm good to go. Oh wait...I'm already there! Too bad work gets in the way. Seriously, I'm not a travel buff but was always willing to fly to Hawaii at the drop of a hat. So...I moved here so I wouldn't have to waste all that time in the air!

Comment

On a real vacation, I stay away from computers, the internet, discussion boards, websites, etc. Cell phones are used at an absolute minimum.

Cameras, food, music, reading material, conversation, walking - their value increases when I am vacationing.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
        On a real vacation, I stay away from computers, the internet, discussion boards, websites, etc. Cell phones are used at an absolute minimum.
        Everything wat Leo said except I use my cell phone a lot cause I "Twitter" to my "Twitter Friends" at http://twitter.com/home about my trips!

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
          On a real vacation, I stay away from computers, the internet, discussion boards, websites, etc. Cell phones are used at an absolute minimum.[...]
          That's how next week should be for me...a real vacation on a beach, on an island, in a hut, no tv, no phones in huts, no cell phones allowed outside of the huts, no wi-fi, no car, just me, oldest daughter and my parents' best friends...HEAVEN!!!

Comment

A nice long cruise running up an obscene bar tab on the "clothing optional" deck.
            “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
            http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

being miles and miles away from "civilization"; the farther the better. two places that come to mind (past vacations): kayaking off the southern coast of thailand and being in the middle of nowhere in mongolia...
              525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                Just sit me on a beach on an island and I'm good to go. Oh wait...I'm already there! Too bad work gets in the way. Seriously, I'm not a travel buff but was always willing to fly to Hawaii at the drop of a hat. So...I moved here so I wouldn't have to waste all that time in the air!
                I think that's my problem... I don't think I'd rather be any other place than here. I still do want to go see Yellowstone National Park tho.

Comment

i think i would love it if my next vacation included:

riding the superferry to maui, staying at a b&b, eating at makawao steakhouse, mala and manana garage, driving hana hwy to go ultralighting, horseback riding, snorkeling, chilling at little beach and other maui beaches, watching the sunrise at haleakala, drinking every night at some bar or club on front street, all the while making googley eyes at eric...riding the superferry back, tanned, relaxed, refreshed and reminded of the aloha spirit that makes our home so wonderful....

i'm sure i can do almost all of that for our next vacation! but i'm really hoping i can do 'em all!

but it's more likely that my next vacation will be in portland, oregon...what with how work and school are going, we won't be able to take a mini neighbor island vacation before we take the trek to visit my mom for christmas! which is just fine, because we're excited to see the new house she just bought and renovated, plus we're always game for mom's pancit, pinakbet, adobo...the list goes on!
                  superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

My idea of a "real" vacation is where you need a week just to recover from your "real" vacation!
                    Hmmmmmmmmmm ....................when was the last time I had a "REAL" vacation?
                    Its been a while. I think I am over due.

Comment

being stuck in a library.

with books I've never read.

and a thick, comfy leather couch with warm blankets and water nearby.

and no need to watch the clock.

pax

Comment

I've always loved the concept of a sabbatical--a year off to do whatever you want. Refresh yourself! Write a novel. Whatever. And you still receive your regular paycheck. No worries.

Unfortunately, I'm not a privileged/qualified academic, so I've never come close to achieving that enviable goal. I've always used my past vacations to gather as much time as possible (almost a month at a time, if possible) to write, read, and do whatever else I wanted to do. It was always nice, but I always wished it were longer.

I remember (about two or three years ago) reading an article about a local company (I'm pretty sure it was Honolulu Magazine) that had started a sabbatical program (not sure if it was a whole year, or if it still exists, probably not). The author of the article decided he would spend his entire sabbatical reading ... whatever he wanted to read, wherever he wanted to read (mostly at Starbucks). That's all, that's what he did. It was an interesting read. I tried to search for the article, but couldn't find it. Maybe someone more talented than I can find it.

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post

I remember (about two or three years ago) reading an article about a local company (I'm pretty sure it was Honolulu Magazine) that had started a sabbatical program (not sure if it was a whole year, or if it still exists, probably not). The author of the article decided he would spend his entire sabbatical reading ... whatever he wanted to read, wherever he wanted to read (mostly at Starbucks). That's all, that's what he did. It was an interesting read. I tried to search for the article, but couldn't find it. Maybe someone more talented than I can find it.
                          this isn't the article you mentioned but it's a good read:
                          http://www.amazon.com/One-Year-Off-R...1404258&sr=8-1

57 reviewers gave it an average of 4.5 out of 5 rating!
                          525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Molokai...west end.
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Go somewhere different. Preferably out of state. Go for a looooong drive. Have a rough plan of what to see, but winging it according to whim.

Comment

Working...
                              X