This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawai‘i Warriors’s Post-season Hopes

Looking at the highlights of the game, does anyone else think that FSU was looking for cheap shot opportunities against Hawaii?
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
      Hi Kalihiboy.

In the scenario you posed, I presume that Hawaii is not the #2 team blowing out the #1 team. If this happens, it is safe to say that the #2 team wins the National Championship outright, even if Hawaii will be the only undefeated team left. Having won the national title game, the #2 team will garner a huge portion of #1 votes, making it difficult for Hawaii to earn poll points to share the #1 ranking in the year's final poll.
      I should have said also that the number two team had two losses going into the game if that is a possible scenerio.

I agree the weak schedule and some margin of victories have hurt their shot.

But I think less than 10 years ago we had a team go undefeated and
      they did not win the national championship. I think that was also the year two teams were considered the national champions which might have led to the creation of the BCS.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
        I should have said also that the number two team had two losses going into the game if that is a possible scenerio.

I agree the weak schedule and some margin of victories have hurt their shot.

But I think less than 10 years ago we had a team go undefeated and
        they did not win the national championship. I think that was also the year two teams were considered the national champions which might have led to the creation of the BCS.

Aj
        there were several teams that went undefeated in the last 10 years, and this was with the BCS already in place. off the top of my head, I remember Marshall in 99, Boise St. in 04 and 06, and Alex Smith-led Utah in 04. all of these schools are from non-BCS conferences, which basically mean that they need to jump through more hoops and impress more people to end up in the BCS "championship".

2003 was the best example of how cloudy the FBS (Div. I-A) championship process an be: USC doesn't play in the title game, but ranked #1 in the season's final AP poll. LSU won the national title by beating Oklahoma in the BCS title game, and finished the season #1 in the coaches' poll. Basically, there are 2-3 champions in football every year until (and if) the NCAA switches to a playoff format.

I'm confused as well.

flickr

Comment

We dropped one spot in both the AP poll and the Coaches' poll. Grrrr...

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
            We dropped one spot in both the AP poll and the Coaches' poll. Grrrr...
            And, BOISE dropped TWO places (#15 to #17) in the coaches' poll ........... after winning by 44! U$C jumped us: they must have looked impressive in their "bye" game! While UH was obviously "terrible" in their "bye" game two weeks ago and consequently dropped in the polls.

I've said this before and I'll say it again: the "juice" is in. The BC$ can't stand the prospect of either UH or Boise qualifying for a BC$ bowl and siphoning MILLION$ of their (BC$) dollar$. It happened with Utah and Boise qualifying two of the past three years

Comment

We gained one spot in the BCS, up to #15 now. Look at the records of most of the teams ahead of us, many with two losses and some with three! Our weak schedule is still hurting. A win over Boise State should/could move us up to the top 12, though.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                We gained one spot in the BCS, up to #15 now. Look at the records of most of the teams ahead of us, many with two losses and some with three! Our weak schedule is still hurting. A win over Boise State should/could move us up to the top 12, though.
                Yeah, we're gonna need Colt in on the game this Friday, as well as non-idiotic, sober UH fans as the 12th man on the field.
                Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                  Yeah, we're gonna need Colt in on the game this Friday, as well as non-idiotic, sober UH fans as the 12th man on the field.
                  You are so right, on both points!

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                    Ha! good luck with that one. if they are sober tho, I hope the stay in the stands.

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                      I've said this before and I'll say it again: the "juice" is in. The BC$ can't stand the prospect of either UH or Boise qualifying for a BC$ bowl and siphoning MILLION$ of their (BC$) dollar$.
                      And yet, thanks to the level-headed Bowl Championship Series computer, the Warriors actually moved UP one spot in the BCS standings to #15. Look for a huge payoff bump, should UH be able to handle their fellow BCS-ranked conference rival, Boise State.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                      USA TODAY, page 2A
                      11 March 1993

Comment

Whatever happens next weekend, this game is good for the WAC juice. Boise State did its part in putting together another great season; the schools really needed each other in order to get SOME amount of cred. One of the teams is going to win at Aloha Stadium, and it will be a good victory for whoever that is.

I'm really eager to see what happens to the LOSER's ranking next weekend, because if, with the loss, the loser stays in the top 25, you know the WAC has earned at least some level of respect, whether either team gets invited to a BCS game or not.

How many Mountain West teams are talking about the BCS?
                        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

UH did move up ONE spot, but Boise went down TWO, even after winning by 44 points! And U$C must have impressive in their BYE week since they didn't lose either at home or on the road ................... and "jumped" UH in the poll.

Comment

Kansas just lost to Missouri, which means... the UH Warriors are the ONLY unbeaten team in the entire country!!!

So, whatcha think is gonna happen in the polls tomorrow? Any guesses?

Comment

Hawaii will be #9, USA Today, #10 AP, #10 Harris, #12 BCS.

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
                                Hawaii will be #9, USA Today, #10 AP, #10 Harris, #12 BCS.
                                I hope you're right.

Comment

Working...
                                X