• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• zztype
    replied
    Re: Bye bye, Herman Frazier

Bulletin:

UH to buy out Frazier's contract

The University of Hawaii is buying out Herman Frazier's contract, ending his controversial tenure as the UH athletic director.

Leave a comment:

• glossyp
    replied

Does HF know where some bodies are buried or something? I suppose it is possible that UH wants to be careful in this dismissal, if that is what it is, and are exercising caution.

Leave a comment:

• zztype
    replied

According to Advertiser, at 2:21 p.m.,

"No Frazier press conference; statement to be released"

There will be no press conference today to discuss the future of University of Hawai'i Athletics Director Herman Frazier.

Instead a statement will be released from the chancellor's office.

Leave a comment:

• Random
    replied

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
    Still no formal announcement about Frazier yet today.
    When is the news conference from UH and will there be a live feed from any one of our local TV stations?

Leave a comment:

• Random
    replied

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
    Hugh Yoshida hired June Jones, I don't think he has been given credit for this
    perhaps because he has been gone for so long.
    That and he's more known for hiring Fred Von Appen after letting Bob Wagner go.

Leave a comment:

• LikaNui
    replied

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
    Clearly, Von Appen knows talent, and he's still in Hawaii.
    He is? Last I heard, he was bouncing all over the NFL in various assistant positions. When did he come back to Hawaii and what's he doing?
    EDIT: Well, maybe he is around somewhere. I Googled him and found this Wikipedia item about him, which includes:
    von Appen spent the 2000 season as the defensive line coach for the Minnesota Vikings and the 2001 season as the special teams coach for the New York Giants. von Appen retired after the 2001 season, but came out of retirement to serve as the defensive ends coach and assistant head coach for the University of Montana. von Appen served on the Montana coaching staff until he retired for good after the 2003 season.
    Still no formal announcement about Frazier yet today.
    Last edited by LikaNui; January 8, 2008, 10:53 AM. Reason: Found stuff about Fred von Appen.

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

Kittrick and KalihiBoy make a good point that I was hoping to make first. Clearly, Von Appen knows talent, and he's still in Hawaii. He's a well-connected football guy. I would not object to the school's at least looking at him as a candidate for the AD position.

Dick Tomey and Bob Wagner would also be good ADs candidates.

I wonder how Marv Levy feels about Hawaii?
    Last edited by scrivener; January 8, 2008, 11:04 AM. Reason: "i'm young, i'm wild, and i'm free..."

Leave a comment:

• lavagal
    replied

I just wanna know why/how/who hires these guys after the fact? Dobell got a job...HOW? Where will Frazier end up? Interesting times...

Leave a comment:

• Leo Lakio
    replied

Hire timkona.

Leave a comment:

• Kalihiboy
    replied

Well I hate to say this but June Jone's first year (1999) in which he turned the team around, even making a bowl game and a share of the WAC was Fred Von Appen's team who couldnt win a game the year before. JJ recruited several players in spring of 99', but many players on the team he inherited were Von Appen's recruits. The difference between Fred Von Appen and June Jones is obviously the coaching.

Aj

Leave a comment:

• Kittrick
    replied

Maybe to refresh things back to reality after June Jones, maybe UH needs to re-hire Fred Von Appen just for 1 season then fire him after they go 0-13 and then find another miracle worker like June Jones. Timeline now is sooo short to find a new coach, and smart money says most if not all of Jones' assistant jump ship with him to SMU. I hate to say it folks, but this next season will be a wash of temporary coaches or interim this or that because everything from who is actually going to play for UH to who is actually coach will still be in chaos until they settle on a coach to bring in his own guys over a two year span.

It's still hard to believe that the Sugar Bowl was only 7 days ago and things couldn't be better for the program, and just 7 days later they are headless with one head left to roll.

Leave a comment:

• Kalihiboy
    replied

Hugh Yoshida hired June Jones, I don't think he has been given credit for this
    perhaps because he has been gone for so long.

I dont know what you guys think but what about hiring Bob Wagner to be the new AD, I think he still is the AD at Kam School in Hilo and has expressed his desire to remain in Hawaii thru his retirement. Why not have a guy who knows the University and ran the football team for so long be the AD, I think also enough years have passed that it would be okay to do this.

Or hiring Dick Tomey to be the new AD.

Aj

Leave a comment:

• Star of Gladness
    replied

Frazier out as UH athletic director

Herman Frazier is out as University of Hawaii athletic director, several well-placed sources told the Star-Bulletin today.

Frazier reported for work today, but was noticeably absent from a news conference this afternoon where UH president David McClain and Manoa chancellor Virginia Hinshaw talked to reporters about football coach June Jones' leaving UH for SMU.

McClain and Hinshaw said at today's news conference there would be an announcement and news conference tomorrow regarding Frazier.

Frazier has undergone intense public criticism since early last year on several issues, including the UH football schedule, transition of basketball coaches, returning part of UH's Sugar Bowl ticket allotment, and, most recently, not signing Jones to a new contract.

Frazier did not immediately return a call to his cell phone this afternoon.

Frazier's salary is $250,000 per year. His contract runs through June 2010. He began his tenure at UH in 2002, replacing Hugh Yoshida.

Leave a comment:

• Random
    replied

Originally posted by Kittrick View Post
    I bet that's the situation here...first Riley Wallace, then June Jones...I bet Dave Shoji was next.
    No wonder Dave Shoji was on TV news last night expressing support for June Jones if he should decided to take the SMU coaching job.

UH is cleaning house?

Leave a comment:

• Frankie's Market
    replied

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
    If HF does the honorable thing and resigns, he wouldn't get a buy-out on the remainder of his contract. That's like a person voluntarily quitting a job not qualifying for unemployment compensation.
    That would be the honorable thing to do. Problem is, honor is not a trait that one would associate with Mr. Frazier.

Let me tell you that I was in favor of dumping Frazier last year, when it became apparent that he botched the football schedule. I was in favor of going through with it, even if the university would have to eat it with a buyout clause. I said it back then, "The longer we keep an incompetent like Frazier in office, the more it is going to end up costing us in the long run." And sure enough, my prophecy came true. Keeping our "do nothing" AD ended up costing us big time. LOSING JUNE JONES!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X