Bye bye, Herman Frazier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bye bye, Herman Frazier

According to this story, there will be an announcement about Herman Frazier's future tomorrow:
    University of Hawai'i-Manoa chancellor Virginia Hinshaw today said she met with athletics director Herman Frazier and a statement on Frazier's future would be announced tomorrow.
    Frazier, who has been athletics director since 2002, has been criticized over football coach June Jones' recent contract negotiations and problems with ticket availability for Hawai'i fans for the Allstate Sugar Bowl.
    Jones resigned today to become football head coach at Southern Methodist.
    Neither Hinshaw nor University of Hawai'i President David McClain would elaborate on what tomorrow's announcement would be.
    (...)
    This should come as no surprise, because it follows this story which contains the entire statement from UH President David McClain regarding June Jones. McLain mentions everybody except Frazier. Not one single word about him. Mclain thanks Gov. Lingle, Chancellor Hinshaw, State Rep. Takai, the Warrior team, and the fans. BUT NOT ONE WORD ABOUT FRAZIER. Zero, zilch, nada, no more nothing.
    And shortly after, they say there'll be an announcement about Frazier's future tomorrow.
    Heh.
    In my mind, I'm pretty darned sure Frazier's "future" does NOT include the title of UH Athletic Director.
    I only wonder if he's been given the option to resign, or if he got flat out fired. I suspect the latter.
    Chances are UH will be searching for a new coach AND a new AD, at the same time. Ouch!
    Whatcha think?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: Bye bye, Herman Frazier

Can't go nowhere but up.

pax

Comment

Well, we must have our sacrificial lamb. While HF is not solely responsible for the deplorable state of athletic facilities, Jones' late contract offer, etc. etc. (there's plenty of blame to go around on all scores), he will take the brunt of everyone's ire and then we'll all feel better - or not. I suspect that the problems at UH go far beyond what an AD can remedy. Vamos a ver.

Comment

In the reports, it also said that McClain jumped into the negotiations very late. I'm assuming it's because Frazier was out golfing or not doing what he should have been doing much earlier.

A headline very soon will read:

"Down Goes Frazier!! Down goes Frazier!"

I hope he doesn't treat the USA Olympic team like he does the UH athletic facilities...yikes!

Comment

HF isn't innocent, though. We have been calling for his head before the season began. Dude should have seen the writing on the wall.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
            HF isn't innocent, though. We have been calling for his head before the season began. Dude should have seen the writing on the wall.
            Oh, HF is not innocent. But the fact that he has remained employed by UH despite his failings, says volumes about the powers that be at UH. I should have used the term "scapegoat". Though the sacrificial lamb atoning for the sins of those more powerful, still resonates with me on a certain level.
            Last edited by glossyp; January 7, 2008, 03:15 PM. Reason: sentence structure

Comment

If HF does the honorable thing and resigns, he wouldn't get a buy-out on the remainder of his contract. That's like a person voluntarily quitting a job not qualifying for unemployment compensation. HF could negotiate for a settlement as some boosters, led by Kent Untermann of Pictures Plus, have raised $120K for such a buy-out.

No buy-out if HF was fired for cause, like embezzlement or dereliction of duty. I wouldn't know if general laziness meets that definition.

I was among those initially enthused by the hiring of Frazier. An Olympic gold medalist (1976) with over a quarter-century of athletic administration. And a minority hire. Perfect for the "melting pot of the Pacific." Little did I know he had been foisted on us by UAB and was a charlatan all the while.

The more things went along, the more disenchanted I became of this LAZY ASS PROCRASTINATOR posing as a D-1 Athletic Director. He was jet-setting all over the world enjoying three-martini lunches with his cronies. He spent so much time on Olympics business that he was not tending to UH affairs. And when he did spend time on his UH duties, he screwed-up royally ... and often.

I'm sorry we lost Jones, but not Frazier. GOOD RIDDANCE TO BAD RUBBISH!

Comment

I kinda knew this guy was bad news when he let Riley Wallace go the way he did...like a piece of garbage He even probably laughed when the poor guy cried on the teevee and said he wanted to stay and the University refused to give him a new contract....what's up with that?

I read somewhere...I think it was in the seattletimes.com a while back when Washington changed AD's that it was common practice to can the coaches that were there before the AD because the AD wants to set a culture of "I'm in charge because I'm the AD and I hired you" versus trying to gain respect of coaches that were there before the AD was hired who may even have contempt for him or her.

I bet that's the situation here...first Riley Wallace, then June Jones...I bet Dave Shoji was next.

Comment

Wow no more games against Southwest Eastern Idaho?

Comment

Wwsd?

Stan Sheriff must be crying over this mess right now.
                    Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                    We're not here to mess around
                    Boston, you know we love you madly
                    Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                    Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                    You know we couldn't live without you
                    Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                      If HF does the honorable thing and resigns, he wouldn't get a buy-out on the remainder of his contract. That's like a person voluntarily quitting a job not qualifying for unemployment compensation.
                      That would be the honorable thing to do. Problem is, honor is not a trait that one would associate with Mr. Frazier.

Let me tell you that I was in favor of dumping Frazier last year, when it became apparent that he botched the football schedule. I was in favor of going through with it, even if the university would have to eat it with a buyout clause. I said it back then, "The longer we keep an incompetent like Frazier in office, the more it is going to end up costing us in the long run." And sure enough, my prophecy came true. Keeping our "do nothing" AD ended up costing us big time. LOSING JUNE JONES!
                      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Kittrick View Post
                        I bet that's the situation here...first Riley Wallace, then June Jones...I bet Dave Shoji was next.
                        No wonder Dave Shoji was on TV news last night expressing support for June Jones if he should decided to take the SMU coaching job.

UH is cleaning house?
                        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Frazier out as UH athletic director

Herman Frazier is out as University of Hawaii athletic director, several well-placed sources told the Star-Bulletin today.

Frazier reported for work today, but was noticeably absent from a news conference this afternoon where UH president David McClain and Manoa chancellor Virginia Hinshaw talked to reporters about football coach June Jones' leaving UH for SMU.

McClain and Hinshaw said at today's news conference there would be an announcement and news conference tomorrow regarding Frazier.

Frazier has undergone intense public criticism since early last year on several issues, including the UH football schedule, transition of basketball coaches, returning part of UH's Sugar Bowl ticket allotment, and, most recently, not signing Jones to a new contract.

Frazier did not immediately return a call to his cell phone this afternoon.

Frazier's salary is $250,000 per year. His contract runs through June 2010. He began his tenure at UH in 2002, replacing Hugh Yoshida.

Comment

Hugh Yoshida hired June Jones, I don't think he has been given credit for this
                            perhaps because he has been gone for so long.

I dont know what you guys think but what about hiring Bob Wagner to be the new AD, I think he still is the AD at Kam School in Hilo and has expressed his desire to remain in Hawaii thru his retirement. Why not have a guy who knows the University and ran the football team for so long be the AD, I think also enough years have passed that it would be okay to do this.

Or hiring Dick Tomey to be the new AD.

Aj

Comment

Maybe to refresh things back to reality after June Jones, maybe UH needs to re-hire Fred Von Appen just for 1 season then fire him after they go 0-13 and then find another miracle worker like June Jones. Timeline now is sooo short to find a new coach, and smart money says most if not all of Jones' assistant jump ship with him to SMU. I hate to say it folks, but this next season will be a wash of temporary coaches or interim this or that because everything from who is actually going to play for UH to who is actually coach will still be in chaos until they settle on a coach to bring in his own guys over a two year span.

It's still hard to believe that the Sugar Bowl was only 7 days ago and things couldn't be better for the program, and just 7 days later they are headless with one head left to roll.

Comment

Working...
                              X