Bye bye, Herman Frazier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bye bye, Herman Frazier

Well I hate to say this but June Jone's first year (1999) in which he turned the team around, even making a bowl game and a share of the WAC was Fred Von Appen's team who couldnt win a game the year before. JJ recruited several players in spring of 99', but many players on the team he inherited were Von Appen's recruits. The difference between Fred Von Appen and June Jones is obviously the coaching.

Aj

Comment

Hire timkona.

Comment

I just wanna know why/how/who hires these guys after the fact? Dobell got a job...HOW? Where will Frazier end up? Interesting times...
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Kittrick and KalihiBoy make a good point that I was hoping to make first. Clearly, Von Appen knows talent, and he's still in Hawaii. He's a well-connected football guy. I would not object to the school's at least looking at him as a candidate for the AD position.

Dick Tomey and Bob Wagner would also be good ADs candidates.

I wonder how Marv Levy feels about Hawaii?
          Last edited by scrivener; January 8, 2008, 11:04 AM. Reason: "i'm young, i'm wild, and i'm free..."
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
            Clearly, Von Appen knows talent, and he's still in Hawaii.
            He is? Last I heard, he was bouncing all over the NFL in various assistant positions. When did he come back to Hawaii and what's he doing?
            EDIT: Well, maybe he is around somewhere. I Googled him and found this Wikipedia item about him, which includes:
            von Appen spent the 2000 season as the defensive line coach for the Minnesota Vikings and the 2001 season as the special teams coach for the New York Giants. von Appen retired after the 2001 season, but came out of retirement to serve as the defensive ends coach and assistant head coach for the University of Montana. von Appen served on the Montana coaching staff until he retired for good after the 2003 season.
            Still no formal announcement about Frazier yet today.
            Last edited by LikaNui; January 8, 2008, 10:53 AM. Reason: Found stuff about Fred von Appen.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
              Hugh Yoshida hired June Jones, I don't think he has been given credit for this
              perhaps because he has been gone for so long.
              That and he's more known for hiring Fred Von Appen after letting Bob Wagner go.
              Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                Still no formal announcement about Frazier yet today.
                When is the news conference from UH and will there be a live feed from any one of our local TV stations?

Comment

According to Advertiser, at 2:21 p.m.,

"No Frazier press conference; statement to be released"

There will be no press conference today to discuss the future of University of Hawai'i Athletics Director Herman Frazier.

Instead a statement will be released from the chancellor's office.
                  Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Does HF know where some bodies are buried or something? I suppose it is possible that UH wants to be careful in this dismissal, if that is what it is, and are exercising caution.

Comment

Bulletin:

UH to buy out Frazier's contract

The University of Hawaii is buying out Herman Frazier's contract, ending his controversial tenure as the UH athletic director.
                      Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype View Post
                        Bulletin:

UH to buy out Frazier's contract

The University of Hawaii is buying out Herman Frazier's contract, ending his controversial tenure as the UH athletic director.

From the article:

Potential candidates to replace Frazier include HHSAA Executive Director Keith Amemiya, KGMB-TV exec Rick Blangiardi, Hawaii Bowl Executive Director Jim Donovan, Hawaii Community College Chancellor Rockne Freitas, San Jose State football coach Dick Tomey and Kamehameha Hawaii athletic director Bob Wagner. All have extensive local ties; four are former UH players and/or coaches.
                        IMO, all great candidates...but I take issue with one of em.
                        Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                        We're not here to mess around
                        Boston, you know we love you madly
                        Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                        Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                        You know we couldn't live without you
                        Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

I am no going to post this in the other thread cuz it got too weird but a couple of questions for you locals.

Do you think that the success of Junes Jones was due to the fact that he did not have island ties and came in with a fresh perspective?

I wasn't around when JJ first started but were there trepidations about him not having local ties?

Now the hard question.....

DO you think having local ties help/hinder the candidates for the AD and HC job(s) respectively?

AKA can someone from left field or Iowa (just for you Leo) for that matter come in with a winning track record and keep the momentum going?

The reason for my questions is that there is a lot of moving and shaking going on in both the professional and collegiate ranks and a lot of quality people are looking for jobs. As well as a bunch of trash.

ooohhh, ooohhh one more question: which is the cart, which is the horse AKA do you try to hire an AD first or a HC first? One is definitely going to effect the other.
                          Last edited by nachodaddy; January 8, 2008, 02:59 PM. Reason: last question....I'll shut up for now.
                          You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                            That and he's more known for hiring Fred Von Appen after letting Bob Wagner go.
                            Touche. I think Wagner, Tomey, Blangiardi would be the best choices to be the new AD. As for Von Appen and his current ties to Hawaii, his son plays QB for Kalaheo, Cody, I believe his name is. I would not reccomend Von Appen to be AD, an advisor to select a new head coach, possibly yes, but not beyond that.

Aj

Comment

I just want to vent the following rant:

I cannot believe we have to bribe Frazier to leave!!! WTF?!?!!!!

Whew.

Comment

Originally posted by nachodaddy View Post
                                ooohhh, ooohhh one more question: which is the cart, which is the horse AKA do you try to hire an AD first or a HC first? One is definitely going to effect the other.
                                For now, get one of the associate ADs as interim AD. Then hire the football HC. Have them meet with all the HCs to compile a list of recommended nominees.

Comment

Working...
                                X