JUNE JONES PAY or NO? $400K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JUNE JONES PAY or NO? $400K

According to the news, June Jones contract requires him to pay a penalty of ~$400K if he terminated his contract before June 30, 2008. He did. So, should he pay or not?

I feel he should honor the terms of the contract.
    ___
    "Be god to each other."

Re: JUNE JONES PAY or NO? $400K

Originally posted by InfinityProductions View Post
    According to the news, June Jones contract requires him to pay a penalty of ~$400K if he terminated his contract before June 30, 2008. He did. So, should he pay or not?

I feel he should honor the terms of the contract.
    I already expressed my feelings on Twitter.

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I'm sure SMU will gladly pay it.

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
        I'm sure SMU will gladly pay it.
        It doesn't matter who pays it, long as it's paid.
        ___
        "Be god to each other."

Comment

How convenient, that money will be enough to pay the athletic director off for his contract...
          May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

If he honored the terms of his contract, that would also mean that he can't sign with another team until the contract is finished and the SMU deal is null and void because he's still the coach of Hawaii.

Why Frazier gave Jones permission to even talk to SMU way back in December, 6 months before his deal was up with UH is inexcusable because it left UH with no time to bargain (like they were even negotiating anyway). I think Frazier wanted Jones gone anyway so he could hire "his guy" whoever that was who would respect him as AD.

Comment

That's ridiculous! You're saying if I pay off my mortgage early, I've broken my mortgage contract. If there's a stipulation concerning leaving early and even a penalty clause for leaving early, then leaving early is within the terms of the contract. No broken contract.
              May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
                That's ridiculous! You're saying if I pay off my mortgage early, I've broken my mortgage contract. If there's a stipulation concerning leaving early and even a penalty clause for leaving early, then leaving early is within the terms of the contract. No broken contract.
                But it is a broken contract. There is a clause that stipulates he can leave early, which he did, but without paying the penalty that we know of. If he didn't pay the penalty, the terms of the contract were broken because he violated the terms instead of staying until the contract was finished, at which point there wouldn't be a penalty because the contract was fulfilled. The spirit of the contract assumes he's going to be the coach at the end of the deal, or they probably wouldn't have had that clause.

June is a terrible month to end a coaches contract in my opinion because it's not very friendly to picking up a coach who was just fired after the football season.

Comment

sorry about the double post. I had problems posting and accidentally hit the back button. please disregard this post.

Comment

I'd say NO! He's not getting paid for the last six months, Jan.-June 2008, which equals the $400K. To me it's a "wash." Plus, wasn't he "released" from his contract to entertain other offers?

Otherwise, it's like he has to return his salary from July-Dec. 2007 ($400K), which was definitely "earned." So, JJ was working for free? Not fair!

OTOH, it would a noble gesture on JJ's part as it would fund the $312K buyout of Frazier. Incidentally, HF may be trying to hold up UH for even more $$$$$ - bonuses "earned" by UH winning the WAC and getting into the BCS Sugar Bowl. All for him accidentally being in command of the Athletic Department. Frazier has no shame or class.

Comment

This SB article says that the boosters have raised $120K to go towards Frazier's buyout.

If I'm understanding this Advertiser article, it's the terms of the contract that he agreed to, not something that UH is bitterly throwing out there. He needs to honor it.

I wonder for those saying that he doesn't need to pay, are you jaded by the winning season? Would you still feel the same had the season not gone as well?
                      ___
                      "Be god to each other."

Comment

Salmoned is right. To pay $400,000 actually gives UHM $800,000 to play with; the $400,000 UHM won't be paying Jones for the second half of the year plus the fee. There's something wrong with that.

Steinberg says the terms of Jones's contract are actually up; Jones was hired to coach five years of football, and he did. If the contract is technically up in the month of June, it is only because that's the end of the UHM fiscal year: Whether the job is done in September or May, his contract ends in June. This was explained in one of the earlier articles about the possible Jones departure.

That $400,000, I'm guessing, was meant as something of an insurance against Jones taking an offer somewhere else while he still had seasons left to coach. Think about it: Does it make sense to make a guy pay $400,000 for not doing the spring recruiting whose budget is only $50,000 in the first place?

Sure. If you're a letter-of-the-law kind of person, Jones technically owes the money. But the spirit of the law says that Jones's job is done. If necessary, let him forfeit the paychecks he has coming to him for the rest of the year, but he didn't leave in 2005; he's leaving after the five seasons he was hired to coach.
                        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                          Salmoned is right. To pay $400,000 actually gives UHM $800,000 to play with; the $400,000 UHM won't be paying Jones for the second half of the year plus the fee. There's something wrong with that.

Steinberg says the terms of Jones's contract are actually up; Jones was hired to coach five years of football, and he did. If the contract is technically up in the month of June, it is only because that's the end of the UHM fiscal year: Whether the job is done in September or May, his contract ends in June. This was explained in one of the earlier articles about the possible Jones departure.

That $400,000, I'm guessing, was meant as something of an insurance against Jones taking an offer somewhere else while he still had seasons left to coach. Think about it: Does it make sense to make a guy pay $400,000 for not doing the spring recruiting whose budget is only $50,000 in the first place?

Sure. If you're a letter-of-the-law kind of person, Jones technically owes the money. But the spirit of the law says that Jones's job is done. If necessary, let him forfeit the paychecks he has coming to him for the rest of the year, but he didn't leave in 2005; he's leaving after the five seasons he was hired to coach.
                          But the spirit of the contract he signed says he owes $400,000 for leaving before the contract is over. He signed it, it ends in June, and that's that.

You could leave your apartment early if you paid up for the full term. It would just have to sit empty until after the last month. However, you couldn't leave the apartment if you signed a contract stating that you'd stay there until a certain date, or pay a penalty for leaving early, which most apartment rental contracts have. It's the same thing, except Jones instead got paid to do a job until June, which he didn't do. Thus he owes UH.

Personally, I hope he does his best Nick Saban and comes back after Frazier went down.

Comment

Originally posted by Kittrick View Post
                            But the spirit of the contract he signed says he owes $400,000 for leaving before the contract is over. He signed it, it ends in June, and that's that.

You could leave your apartment early if you paid up for the full term. It would just have to sit empty until after the last month. However, you couldn't leave the apartment if you signed a contract stating that you'd stay there until a certain date, or pay a penalty for leaving early, which most apartment rental contracts have. It's the same thing, except Jones instead got paid to do a job until June, which he didn't do. Thus he owes UH.
                            Just my opinion, but I must say that this is probably one of the most narrow-minded posts that I have come across in HT in re: to June Jones' departure. Comparing June Jones' situation to that of an apartment lessee,.... there's not much to say to anyone who would find that to be a valid comparison.

Originally posted by Kittrick View Post
                            Personally, I hope he does his best Nick Saban and comes back after Frazier went down.
                            Shows how little you know about June Jones as a person. He is not anything like Nick Saban. From 1999 until this past season, Jones has been the head coach at UH. In that very same period of time, Saban has been head coach for Michigan St., LSU, the Miami Dolphins, and now the Alabama Crimson Tide. That's four different teams in the last nine seasons, if you're counting.

Saban did not only jump from team to team, but he even abandoned one of his teams mid-season. He left Michigan St. shortly before the Spartans were scheduled to play in the 2000 Citrus Bowl, all because he wanted to get a head start on recruiting for his then-new team, LSU. Say what you want about June Jones. But quitting a team in mid-season is something that he has never done. When he was offered the UH job, he didn't suddenly quit his interim head coaching job with the Chargers. He told UH officials that he would be staying put in San Diego until the final gun sounded on the Chargers' last game of the 1998 season. And he followed through with that commitment, even though he really had nothing to gain by coaching the Chargers through that final game. That tells me everything I need to know that JJ is anything but a Nick Saban-like opportunist.

Even though I love for JJ to be back here, I know it is NOT going to happen via some unethical loophole. He's already made his commitment to SMU and he will be honoring that.
                            Last edited by Frankie's Market; January 10, 2008, 04:47 PM.
                            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                              Just my opinion, but I must say that this is probably one of the most narrow-minded posts that I have come across in HT in re: to June Jones' departure. Comparing June Jones' situation to that of an apartment lessee,.... there's not much to say to anyone who would find that to be a valid comparison.

Shows how little you know about June Jones as a person. He is not anything like Nick Saban. From 1999 until this past season, Jones has been the head coach at UH. In that very same period of time, Saban has been head coach for Michigan St., LSU, the Miami Dolphins, and now the Alabama Crimson Tide. That's four different teams in the last nine seasons, if you're counting.

Saban did not only jump from team to team, but he even abandoned one of his teams mid-season. He left Michigan St. shortly before the Spartans were scheduled to play in the 2000 Citrus Bowl, all because he wanted to get a head start on recruiting for his then-new team, LSU. Say what you want about June Jones. But quitting a team in mid-season is something that he has never done. When he was offered the UH job, he didn't suddenly quit his interim head coaching job with the Chargers. He told UH officials that he would be staying put in San Diego until the final gun sounded on the Chargers' last game of the 1998 season. And he followed through with that commitment, even though he really had nothing to gain by coaching the Chargers through that final game. That tells me everything I need to know that JJ is anything but a Nick Saban-like opportunist.

Even though I love for JJ to be back here, I know it is NOT going to happen via some unethical loophole. He's already made his commitment to SMU and he will be honoring that.
                              I apologize because you know June Jones more on a than I do. All I was saying is that a contract is a contract and if he owes UH $400,000 he should pay it, even if he left early taking the opportunity (being an opportunist?) SMU gave him before his contract was up instead of sticking it out until it was over even though the situation was difficult. It's not a personal knock on the guy that he didn't stick it out until his contract (commitment) he signed was over, it's a fact. People are getting caught up in the emotions of a great season, and not paying attention to the business end of things, which is why JJ left in the first place with the whole Frazier and facilities problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X