Hawaii boating photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaii boating photos

'Nuff for that race. Hope you enjoyed 'em.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Another race here on Kaneohe Bay yesterday, and gosh was it ever different from the last one two weeks ago (the photos in the previous posts). Last time we had almost no wind and a ton of VOG, but yesterday we had 25-30 knots of wind and clear clean air.

More to follow...

Comment

More to follow...

Comment

Just a few more to follow...

Comment

Not done yet...

Comment

And lastly, a couple of "people shots" coming up...

Comment

Pau. Hope you enjoyed seeing how my friends and I spent yesterday!

Comment

Miki 'oi in photo #1 has some serious "weather helm." Tuning the rig a bit or adjusting his sails (flying a smaller foresail) should give him quite a bit more speed.

Ofa 'atu
                  Mui Houma
                  Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                    Miki 'oi in photo #1 has some serious "weather helm." Tuning the rig a bit or adjusting his sails (flying a smaller foresail) should give him quite a bit more speed.
                    Are you talking about the first photo in post #32? That was taken just moments after the starting gun... and Miki`oi is already leading the race. But they had a new crew on board, plus they're still adjusting for new sails and a new mast, since they got dismasted very recently. Rig tuning is still a work in progress too.
                    They did have a near-broach yesterday on one of the runs offwind when they popped their 1.5oz. spinnaker. Sorry I didn't get a photo of it.
                    And yes, all the racers can learn a lot by seeing photos of their sail trim.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                      Are you talking about the first photo in post #32? But they had a new crew on board, plus they're still adjusting for new sails and a new mast, since they got dismasted very recently. Rig tuning is still a work in progress too.
                      Actually, I was referring to first picture in post #1. Stepping a new mast explains the situation. My guess is that they need to rake the masthead a little more aft. That should take the weather helm out. Look at the last picture in post #4. You can tell that Miki'oi's mast is really raked forward compared to the boat in the foreground.

My favorite boat is the Bristol Channel Cutter. What a classy, classic look!

Ofa 'atu
                      Mui Houma
                      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Excellent pics, LikaNui! What a beautiful day. No vog in sight. Looks like it was a great time.

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                          Actually, I was referring to first picture in post #1. Stepping a new mast explains the situation. My guess is that they need to rake the masthead a little more aft. That should take the weather helm out. Look at the last picture in post #4. You can tell that Miki'oi's mast is really raked forward compared to the boat in the foreground.
                          The one in the foreground is a Hawkfarm 28, with an adjustable backstay (manual, not hydraulic), while Miki`oi is a Ranger 33 with no adjustable backstay. You seem to know sailing rather well, so you probably know that Ranger 33's are very tender boats to begin with. Then add an owner and crew who are pretty new to the sport and make the common beginner's mistake of thinking that heeling the boat over really far means they're going fast. But they're learning. Their only previous boat was a Hobie 16 before they bought Miki`oi about a year ago.

My favorite boat is the Bristol Channel Cutter. What a classy, classic look!
                          Indeed. Too bad they stopped building them last year, though I imagine someone will buy the molds and tooling and start building them again. Ron thought the closure might lower the resale value of Ho`okahiko, but I postulated that it might increase instead, becoming more of a collector's item.
                          Ron sailed her to Tahiti and back last year. Double-handed going, and singlehanded returning. 21 days each way.

Originally posted by Jim75 View Post
                          Excellent pics, LikaNui! What a beautiful day. No vog in sight. Looks like it was a great time.
                          Always is! The Ko`olau mountains look a little hazy due to the high wind blowing all the salt spary into the air, but it was still lovely out there, as usual.
                          You and your camera should come along some time.

Comment

**rubs hands together in earnest and eager anticipation of firing-up Photoshop**

Absolutely awesome, Likanui! And you always make me miss Kaneohe when I see those photos. Yet I was just there yesterday, although not on the bay, on the water like you are. Still! Kaneohe is a magical place in its own right.
                            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I’m a big fan of The Marimed Foundation, which works with troubled kids. Part of their program is ocean-based, teaching kids teamwork and responsibility. Marimed’s main vessel is the 96-foot Makani Olu, a three-masted staysail schooner. (See this link for more info, as well as other places on their website.) Some of you may have seen Makani Olu on her mooring in the southeast corner of Kaneohe Bay, pretty close to Kaneohe Yacht Club.
                              When I came back in from the sandbar yesterday I snapped a few shots of her. All 20 of the photos are at this link. You can click on the Slideshow tab in the upper right, or click on the first thumbnail to enlarge it and then click Next there to keep going.
                              Here are my favorites:

and...

and...

Seventeen other photos at that link.

Comment

Hey!

I checked out the Marimed website to see about volunteering with them, but the link to the volunteer page didn't work. Do you have any info about volunteering with them? I love oceanic teamwork and responsibility!!
                                ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Working...
                                X