Boo the Warriors? Beat it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Call a cop for booing?!

It's not illeagal, just stupid. Correcting the problem could be accomplished simply by the right people publicly hammering the point into the thick skulls of the most guilty and those who follow like lemmings. Embarrass them in public, and make them think twice about it.
    Yes, booing is a fun/ny tradition in some mainland areas, but I see no place for it here in Hawaii. Why not try and show some class and, heaven forbid, some ALOHA? This crap can easily lead to further deterioration of our teams abilities and efforts. For what?
    Do other UH teams get this garbage?

I don't see it as anything difficult, let alone trying to be perfect, just common sense and decency. But yes, that is in short supply these day's.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Re: Call a cop for booing?!

Devil's Advocate Time:

Booing/Cheering-Shows passion of the fans, personal involvement with the team. They Care.

Not Attending/Walking Out- Shows a disconnect with fans, apathy, disinterest. They don't care.

If your a possible recuit from the here in Hawaii or from the mainland. You care only about 4 things.

1)Playing in front of Friends and Family.
      2)Playing on National TV.
      3)Being Noticed by NFL Scouts.
      4)Playing in a stadium full of fans, who make noise and rile up the home team and distract the visitor.

While you may not like the idiots, drunks and the booing at the game, when things are going good they are also the loudest, most vocal cheerleaders in the stadium...like last year.

Comment

Re: Call a cop for booing?!

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
        It's not illeagal, just stupid. Correcting the problem could be accomplished simply by the right people publicly hammering the point into the thick skulls of the most guilty and those who follow like lemmings. Embarrass them in public, and make them think twice about it.
        Yes, booing is a fun/ny tradition in some mainland areas, but I see no place for it here in Hawaii. Why not try and show some class and, heaven forbid, some ALOHA?
        You mean cheer for the other team beating up UH?

Oh, yeah. That'll make our Home Team feel much better.
        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Re: Boo the Warriors? Beat it!

OK, you win, random, we'll just boo our team to success.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
            But yeah, I know, beer is part of football culture, so it's only fitting that my family and I "beat it" in this case.
            Beer is part of football culture? Me thinks you need to open up your eyes and actually take in college football games in other parts of the country. You might be surprised by the number of schools that have banned alcohol sales at their athletic events.

USA Today did a survey of NCAA schools a few years ago and reported that 70% did not allow liquor sales inside their stadiums or arenas where sporting events took place,.... and yes, this includes football. UH is far from being the norm, with its policy of allowing beer to be sold at their games.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...-alcohol_x.htm

Getting back to the original topic,.... whenever the football team has done well, I've heard announcers being disappointed that Hawaii fans are too quiet and sedate and how they needed to become rowdy and passionate to become an effective "12th man" that can make the difference in a close game. Fair enough. But if you ask the fans to make an emotional investment in the team and to passionately cheer when it does well (like last year), then there's the other side of the coin when the team performs poorly. Sorry Ron, but you can't have your cake and eat it too.

But as Scriv said (and I agree with him), Hawaii fans don't just boo indiscriminately. If they play a hard fought game but was beaten out by another team that just happened to play better, they generally appreciate the effort and won't boo. But if they see our own players making bone-headed mistakes, if they see undisciplined play and stupid penalties, that's another matter entirely and fans will let the players/coaches hear what they think.
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Until recently, much of the crowds at Aloha Stm. didn't even know not to be the opposing teams 12th man, always making a huge racket when our team lined up on offense! But, they 'somehow' got edumacated, and now don't do that. Same can be done about the booing BS.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                OK, you win, random, we'll just boo our team to success.
                If it makes them play harder and minimize turnovers, yeah.

The last thing you want is the Aloha Stadium fans cheering for the visiting team and not ours.
                Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                  Beer is part of football culture? Me thinks you need to open up your eyes and actually take in college football games in other parts of the country. You might be surprised by the number of schools that have banned alcohol sales at their athletic events.

USA Today did a survey of NCAA schools a few years ago and reported that 70% did not allow liquor sales inside their stadiums or arenas where sporting events took place,.... and yes, this includes football. UH is far from being the norm, with its policy of allowing beer to be sold at their games.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...-alcohol_x.htm
                  From that same survey 70% allow alcohol in tailgating areas, where no one checks ID's or limits consumption. Yes, once inside the stadium/arena is cutoff, but is 2-3 hours really going to clean someone who is blitzed before they enter.

Comment

They're not booing. They're chanting "Muuu..." I think they want the rail.
                    I don't recall hearing any boos at the UH wahine volleyball team.

Comment

Working...
                    X