Boo the Warriors? Beat it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boo the Warriors? Beat it!

While I didn't hear about the booing at the San Jose game, it was in today's column by Ferd Lewis, and is not surprising. I'm sick of it.

Stadium officials and Coach Mack need to address this problem immediately, by announcing in the media and on the PA during each home game, that those who wish to boo the Warriors should find something else to do instead of coming to Aloha Stadium. ALOHA Stadium in this case means get the hell out of here and stay out until you get a brain. A stadium full of empty seats is prefferable to any idiot attending and acting like a spoiled child.

This BS is one of many reasons I don't go to large events any more.

This stupidity is not only a disheartening and negative distraction to the team, but what kind of message does it send to future recruit hopefuls? Bust your butt for your team and have a bunch of boneheads who couldn't carry your jockstrap on the best day of their life deride you when things aren't perfect?

This has been a sad situation for many years now, and someone needs to step up to the plate and end it. This is a proud team and deserves the best we can offer.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Re: Boo the Warriors? Beat it!

Are you referring to local UH fans who suddenly turned on them?

Better they boo at the stadium rather than come here wasting bandwidth ranting about our team, even though this bulletin board have an Ignore feature.

To be honest, better that the team get used to it, whether it's our own fans or the other team's fans at away games.
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Suddeny? This has been going on for a long time.

They need to stay under their rock.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
        This stupidity is not only a disheartening and negative distraction to the team, but what kind of message does it send to future recruit hopefuls? Bust your butt for your team and have a bunch of boneheads who couldn't carry your jockstrap on the best day of their life deride you when things aren't perfect?
        I was at the game Saturday night, right in the heart of a large section of long-time season-ticket-holders, and believe me: The fans gave this team all the help it could. There was a LOT of positivity, even early in the game when the team made some bad mistakes and bad decisions. The crowd applauded well-executed plays, even when those plays resulted in very little offensive gain. The crowd applauded good efforts, especially on defense. The booing only began when the team was clearly playing far below its abilities. Boneheaded mistakes, bad decisions, and sloppy play were rewarded with boos, and although I did not join the chorus, I felt the booing was justified.

If you are watching high-schoolers, you don't boo. They're out there doing the best they can and they're kids, so they will make mistakes in what should be an educational environment. At the NCAA Division I-A level, though, you expect a certain level of mental preparedness. Hawaii fans know the 'Bows aren't an SEC-caliber football program. A player can't do anything about his or her ability except to go out and play the best he or she can.

What the audience saw Saturday night was clearly not the best this team can offer. Funaki's passes in the first couple of possessions were quick and crisp; even when they missed their mark, they were well-read. As the game dragged on, and I think the O-line can be blamed for a lot of it, Funaki's throws were hesitant, as if he wasn't sure what he was doing out there. The O-line made stupid after-the-play personal-foul penalties. If an offensive lineman is being beaten by his opponent, sometimes holding is necessary just to keep your quarterback in one piece, but there's no reason for the after-whistle crap that was going on. Hawaii fans expect their team to play smart, and this team was not playing smart.

If I were a player on this team, I'd be more offended if the fans DIDN'T boo. I understand that a team deserves positive fans, but the team has to come through on its end, meaning it's got to play with its head in the game, and this team wasn't playing that way on the offensive side of the ball.

The defense got serious cheers pretty much from beginning to end. It was a great effort by the front seven.

This has been a sad situation for many years now, and someone needs to step up to the plate and end it. This is a proud team and deserves the best we can offer.
        Believe me. It didn't play like a proud team, not on offense. It only deserves the best its fans can offer if it shows up to play, and it didn't. We can handle a loss. What we can't handle is undisciplined play, which is what we got.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Thanx for the on the scene report, Scrivner.

And I understood all that prior to the game, but there are better ways to express dissatisfaction than indiscriminate booing.
          Hawaii is famous for it's fair weather fans the last coupla decades, and it's a black mark on them, especially when the players have no idea who's being booed. But it sux in general. These are still kids, and it has no way of being positive.

If players aren't playing to their full potential then they need to be benched. If they hang their heads then they need to hear it from the coaches and again from former players that didn't mope, like what happened in the prior games this year. This isn't a game for wusses and if we revert back to the 'I give up' years then this university should drop football. We've gone too far forward to start marching backwards because of immature attitudes.
          I think Coach Mack will address these issues, and it may take a lot longer to get back where we were last year. But, players and fans need to suck it up and put their best efforts out there, even when we're getting romped.

There's a lot to be learned from the losses so far, and if we are worth our salt as a football program, then the problems will be rectified.

Comment

Thanx for the on the scene report, Scrivner.

And I understood all that prior to the game, but there are better ways to express dissatisfaction than indiscriminate booing.
            Like walking out on them?

I agree with scrivener. If I was a player, I'd rather hear boos to pump me up and be better, so they can go from booing to cheering.

It can't be helped. They're a victim of their own success. It's like watching a sequel (assuming last season is the original). If you can't make the sequel as good as the original, the audience is going react accordingly.

I support Mack's Team, but I know they can do better. They should not have committed six ... 6 ... turnovers in one game.

Comment

those who wish to boo the Warriors should find something else to do instead of coming to Aloha Stadium. ALOHA Stadium in this case means get the hell out of here and stay out until you get a brain. A stadium full of empty seats is prefferable to any idiot attending and acting like a spoiled child.
              I need edify scrivener and Random on this one. I would strongly disagree that “a stadium full of empty seats is preferable to” fans who boo when Division I athletes are not performing up to their potential. At the end of the day, UH needs the income that those tickets provide (boos not withstanding), in order for their football program to exist in the first place. Do you realize how many other sports football sub$idize$ at Mānoa?

These are still kids
              How do you define “kid”? Sure, a 17-year-old freshman in their first semester is “babe in the woods.” But a significant number of players on this team are in their mid-20s, have a fiancee or wife and children of their own, and live off-campus. If you’re old enough to vote, drink beer, and serve in the military, you’re an adult in my book. The U.S. Justice system would agree.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
              USA TODAY, page 2A
              11 March 1993

Comment

I'm not a fan of "booing," but I'll take deserved "boos" over drunken "cheers." Or drunken anything, for that matter. The prevalence of intoxication at Aloha Stadium is the primary reason I stay away.

But yeah, I know, beer is part of football culture, so it's only fitting that my family and I "beat it" in this case.

Comment

Let me tell you about where I was sitting. 45-yard-line. In the blue, about six rows up. These were sweet, sweet, season-ticketholder seats, usually the kind only long-time subscribers get a shot at. I think I saw ONE person drinking a beer (he had three cups) the entire time in my general area.

So to avoid the drunken fans? Get the $38-per-seat season tickets.
                  But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Bottom line, I want true fans in the seats, and true players on the field. If that can't be had, then what's the point?
                    We got the goods in this state to have a top contender, and June started the ball rolling in the right direction. Coach Mack can carry us on to the next chapter, but simple things like correcting 'fan' attitude need to be addressed now.

Comment

I was a long-time season ticket holder until a few years ago, and attended literally hundreds of UH games, even before Aloha Stadium existed. As far as booing is concerned, that's been around forever. Personally, I've never booed any player, only the officials. But I have yelled out at players, especially my favorite players (i.e.: "C'mon Colt, what are you doing? Get rid of that ball, don't take a sack! etc.") That's sort of constructive criticism, I guess. But some people just like to boo. Sometimes it's just a statement of general dissatisfaction. Sometimes it's directed at a specific player, usually the quarterback.

Many times the booing is meant for the coaches for the play they selected, but the media thinks the booing is directed at a player, and is reported as such. Not so.

Booing has always been a part of the game. I'm not saying it's right (especially when it's directed at the players, or a specific player), but it has always been there, at least at UH games.

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                        But some people just like to boo.
                        I like to watch the NFL draft in New York to hear the NY fans boo whoever they select. I heard a sports radio talk show host say that the NY Mets fans just didn't have the energy to boo, just a smattering of boos when their team choke for the second year in a row.

Comment

Bottom line, I want true fans in the seats, and true players on the field. If that can't be had, then what's the point?
                          We got the goods in this state to have a top contender, and June started the ball rolling in the right direction. Coach Mack can carry us on to the next chapter, but simple things like correcting 'fan' attitude need to be addressed now.
                          Let me know when you woke up from dreaming of a perfect world.

"True fans"? I want fans to be true to their feelings about the game, not some mindless drones like those in North Korea cheering for their God-President Kim Jong-Il (they creeped me out, BTW).

Comment

Well, the point, Ron, as seems to so often get lost in the sea of hoopla, is to provide student-athletes the chance to get an education they might not otherwise have had the opportunity to get, if not for their athletic prowess.

Coach Mack can carry us on to the next chapter, but simple things like correcting 'fan' attitude need to be addressed now.
                            “Correcting,” no. He can make a heartfelt appeal to the fans, the way June sometimes did on the June Jones Show, or in PSA television advertising. But “correcting” is way off base. It’s not Coach Mack’s place to dictate the behavior of fans. They are responsible for their own behavior, and ultimately, Mack’s responsibilities lie with his players, coaches, school and conference officials. Any “correcting” needed should be done by HPD officers who are standing by at each and every game held at Aloha Stadium.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                            USA TODAY, page 2A
                            11 March 1993

Comment

i'll be honest - i am not a warrior fan - yet i was dragged to the game - i enjoyed myself, the booing however ruffled a few feathers 3 seats behind me - that spramp out a couple of laughters along my row - i of course was way too exhausted to spramp a laughter - watching the quarterback was exhausting enough

but i do respect the uh warriors at giving it their best

what is up with the quarterback
                              stay forever young

Comment

Working...
                              X