Vanity Plates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Vanity Plates

Does anyone know the process of getting a vanity plate? I went online and "reserved" one a couple of months ago but have since then not heard a peep. I thought reserving online was like ordering the darn thing. Do I need to do something else to get my plate?

Mahalo!

Comment

Originally posted by amagab View Post
      Does anyone know the process of getting a vanity plate? I went online and "reserved" one a couple of months ago but have since then not heard a peep. I thought reserving online was like ordering the darn thing. Do I need to do something else to get my plate?

Mahalo!
      you should be getting a letter in the mail pretty soon (within a month) from motor vehicles saying that your plate is ready. at that point, you can choose to call the number provided in the letter to ask that your plates be sent to the satellite city hall of your choice. in about a week's time from that call, the satellite city hall should call you to tell you your plates are ready for pick up. you'll need to bring your current registration plus some cash ($5? something like that) when you go get your plates.

the other option, once you receive the letter telling you your plates are ready, is to mail your current, original registration along with a fee (the aforementioned $5? plus cost to mail) so that your plates are mailed to you.

i placed my order for my plates in late january and they were ready in april.

oh, almost forgot to say, the one plate i noticed today was on a silver altima with smoked headlamps: DSPYSD. girl driver, chrome wheels, iirc.

every now and again, i'll see a maroon mini van with license BATAAN. wonder if he's a pinoy WW2 war vet (driver was most definitely brown and tata-aged).
      Last edited by cynsaligia; July 17, 2009, 05:28 PM.
      superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

I saw one yesterday that said

LAIE

but I couldn't figure out where it came from.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Seen on the road over the weekend:

Dark blue Cadillac sedan - DIG ME
          (omg, what an ego!)

Maroon car, zipped by so fast, all I saw was - KA
          (can't get much more basic than that, I guess)

Dark green Mercedes convertible - LVMYCAR
          (i would, too!)
          To be, or musubi... What was da question?

Comment

One that I enjoy to spot is a yellow Mini Cooper that has: POLN8R

For my own car I got: REVIEW
            Wonder why? Check my signature.
            kiddori

Comment

GOJI4U - Grey 4Runner

TTTT - Yellow small sportscar

ANGELS - Black Toyota Sequoia

Comment

With 9 pages already I haven't seen if someone spotted this one already, but in Kane`ohe yesterday we saw an older large American car with the plate:

GOD
                Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                ~ ~
                Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

From January 2007:
                  Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
                  When I lived in Hawaii last, I remember 2 vanity plates; Jedi and "God". The God one was funny because the car looked so shabby :P
                  From January 2008:
                  Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                  I could say that I'm shocked, but that would be a massive understatement. I was just at Windward Mall (and I detest malls -- I think I'm allergic to them), but as I was parking I saw a license plate that stunned me. I walked over to see if the letters had been altered in some way, but... nope. The plate is real. And for the life of me I can't figure out how our state allowed a plate that reads
                  GOD

Yep, it was a black car, like an old Chevy Impala or maybe a Buick. I really didn't notice, cuz I was staring at the GOD plate and in a hurry.
                  Today:
                  Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                  With 9 pages already I haven't seen if someone spotted this one already, but in Kane`ohe yesterday we saw an older large American car with the plate:

GOD
                  You're the third to report it. You and I both saw it in Kaneohe; not sure where Vanguard saw it.
                  I still don't know how/why the state allowed that one!

Comment

I was talking to a lady in a parking lot today and I noticed her tag read LTLMTN. I said "Little Mountain?" She was glad I got it, she said most people don’t get it. She then explained her husband’s name when written in Kanji is translated as Little Mountain.

I goggled it and the name I came up with is Koyama.

Interesting.
                    "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
                    Ayn Rand

Comment

Seen on H3 today 2IN-DET

My first reaction was “Why would any one want to tell the world they have two family members in detention?” Then I decided it meant “too in debt”. I don’t know why you would want to advertise that. Maybe you can start on the road to recovery by getting rid of the vanity plate.

I know too judgmental.
                      Last edited by 68-eldo; August 9, 2009, 07:35 PM.
                      "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
                      Ayn Rand

Comment

• Plates in Vain?

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                        You're the third to report it. You and I both saw it in Kaneohe; not sure where Vanguard saw it.
                        I still don't know how/why the state allowed that one!
                        I think it's called "Separation of Church and State," although I wasn't always sure that applied in our state....
                        Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                        ~ ~
                        Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                        Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                        Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Saw this one on an SUV last week, but I''m not sure where they're from:

SAMOAN

And later on I saw two Hummers, one silver and one gold, with these two plates:

KOS 3 and also KOS 4

Anyone know the story on those?

Comment

The latter two likely belong to Ed Kos, who runs Hummer tours out at Kualoa. The specialty is movie sets, and "LOST" in particular. I've never taken his tour, but after several rave reviews from visiting fans, I refer several people there on a monthly basis.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                              The latter two likely belong to Ed Kos, who runs Hummer tours out at Kualoa. The specialty is movie sets, and "LOST" in particular.
                              Ah, that makes perfect sense. I saw the two Hummers close to Kualoa Ranch, but I'd never heard of that tour company. Thanks, Ryan!

Comment

Seen on a pickup truck this morning:

4 FSHN

Yeah, it was towing a small fishing boat.

Comment

Working...
                                X