X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mel
    replied
    Re: Gas Prices

The $24 got me 5 gallons of gas which for my Corolla is pretty good. But of course I don't wait for my gas gauge to touch the "E" on the bottom. I go there long before that happens.

The discount applies on cash purchases only (5% Mon - Sat; 10% Sun) and the good ol' attendent pumps the gas for ya. Again, CA$H only.

Leave a comment:

• tutusue
    replied

Originally posted by mel View Post
    There is a 10% discount on cash purchases of gas at Lex Brodie's on Sunday only. Got my Toyota Corolla filled for $24.
    Only $24.? Really?! That's incredible in this day and age! Is that for the first 4 lanes at Brodie's or just the first 2 lanes that are cash/self serve?

Leave a comment:

• joshuatree
    replied

Originally posted by mel View Post
    There is a 10% discount on cash purchases of gas at Lex Brodie's on Sunday only. Got my Toyota Corolla filled for $24.
    Is that every Sunday?

Leave a comment:

• mel
    replied

Leave a comment:

• tutusue
    replied

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
    according to: http://hawaiigasprices.com gas hasn't hit $4 or more/gal.
    Originally posted by Random View Post
    Oh, lucky you.
    Pssst...Random? Kani posted that price on May 18!

Leave a comment:

• Random
    replied

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
    according to: http://hawaiigasprices.com gas hasn't hit $4 or more/gal.
    Oh, lucky you.

Leave a comment:

• tutusue
    replied

Bump!

I ran across fueleconomy.gov that partially pertains to this thread. The site is broader in scope and very interesting.

I've been thinking about buying a Nissan Versa or Honda Fit because of the gas mileage and fairly low environmental impact. Neither are hybrids but my low mileage doesn't really justify the added expense of a hybrid. I did a comparison using the site linked above; comparing my older (1995), somewhat luxury sedan that's not a gas guzzler but also isn't known for uber-mileage, and the Versa and Fit if purchased new.

Bottom line is, considering my annual mileage and my current car's mpg, I'd save approx. $30/month in gas while adding approx. $300/month in the form of a car payment! And that monthly payment takes into account a trade-in plus additional cash for a 33% down payment. Whatta rude awakening! I'll still reevaluate whether or not I'll even bother to own a car after I analyze my 2008 car expenses.

Leave a comment:

• zff
    replied

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
    “We” should first be directed at all those solo drivers who are just traveling to and from work. On the other hand, those carpooling, cycling, or moped/motorcycle riding should also be embraced. Those who need their 4-wheeled vehicle for work (contractors, vendors, photographers, videographers, etc.) should not be frowned upon.
    I'm directing "we" at anyone who lives on this planet.

Solo drivers commuting to work is where we stand to make the greatest improvement, but everyone who burns fossil fuels -- including carpoolers, hybrid drivers, and those using their vehicles for work -- need to change their ways. The only way we'll get people to honestly do that is by hitting them in their wallets. I understand it'll be rough for a little while, but it will be better for all of us in the long run.

Leave a comment:

• SusieMisajon
    replied

Everyone should be embracing the high cost of fuel and food. It might be the one thing to get us all to thinking and doing what we should be in order to bring down overcomsumption, excess, and pollution.

Leave a comment:

• TuNnL
    replied

Originally posted by zff View Post
    We should be embracing this.
    “We” should first be directed at all those solo drivers who are just traveling to and from work. On the other hand, those carpooling, cycling, or moped/motorcycle riding should also be embraced. Those who need their 4-wheeled vehicle for work (contractors, vendors, photographers, videographers, etc.) should not be frowned upon.

Leave a comment:

• zff
    replied

I'm watching KHNL news right now, and they just finished a story about how TheBus ridership is up, despite this -- the end of school -- being their traditional slowdown season.

These higher gas prices are working! We should be embracing this.

Leave a comment:

• kanahina
    replied

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
    Out of curiosity, what are people's thresholds here? Meaning, at what price point where you will simply say, forget it, I ain't driving and will walk, bus, etc?
    No threshold for us...

In the morning, the hubby drops off kids to school in Pearl City (from Ewa Beach) and then drives into town for work. Afternoons, I drive from Ewa Beach to Pearl City to pick the kids up from school and bring them home. it would be difficult to do on theBus (kids are too young to go alone) and obviously too far to walk.

Leave a comment:

• Leo Lakio
    replied

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
    Wow! that's a really small tank...probably around 8 gal.
    Yep. 1994 Saturn SC-1.

Leave a comment:

• tutusue
    replied

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    [...]With gas over $4/gallon, I average about one fill-up a month, around $30 at a time. That's far below any threshold I can envision.
    Wow! that's a really small tank...probably around 8 gal. Jeez...that sounds good to me!

While I'm driving about 25% less than I did a year ago, with the higher gas prices it's still costing me more. Ya can't win for losin' nowadays.

Leave a comment:

• LikaNui
    replied

We're just a few pennies under $4 per gallon here on Oahu.
    And in this morning's paper they said the island of Lanai is at $5!!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X