Costco Gasoline Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Costco Gasoline Question

I'm not sure if its true or not, but doesn't Costco use a higher percentage of ethanol in its gasoline. Hence the lower cost ? My girlfriend made that observation. It seemed she had to fill up more often using Costco's gas versus
    the other guys.

Also I've seen the commercials on TV showing the oil build up from using cheap gasoline versus the gasoline with additives. Thus aside from not having a Costco membership these are reasons why I buy branded gasoline.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Re: Costco Gasoline Question

Hawaiʻi state law currently requires that all gasoline sold in the state have 10% ethanol. No more, no less. I seriously doubt that anyone would exceed the 10% content requirement, because most if not all of the auto makers do not recommend running their gasoline engines on fuel with more than that. (The state government has a page that lists all the manufacturers' statements on ethanol.)

Comment

Ethanol is not good for outboard engines and other uses.
      We should have a choice!
      Here's a LINKl to an article concerning this!
      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Don't think it's the ethanol content issue but probably lack of additional additives. They are ways to overcome the additive deficiency issue such as filling up with branded gas every Nth fill.

Comment

Ethanol is OK for some boats, BUT...

It can be very bad for fuel tanks made out of fiberglass.

Also, older boats need to be carefully checked to make sure all the components are ethanol-friendly. That includes all fuel hoses, filler hoses, vent hoses, gaskets, connectors, filters and anything else that comes into contact with fuel.

My own boat is fully ethanol-safe. That includes the Suzuki 4-stroke that was purchased three years ago.

So check with your mechanic. If you don't have a mechanic, call Central Marine and ask for Sandy.

Also, gas at Costco is the same gas delivered to all Aloha stations. Ethanol isn't cheap, either, so that's not the reason for the reduced price. It's probably because Coscto made a special deal with the supplier. It's how Costco works with all of its vendors, and how they're able to provide good pricing for its customers.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
            Don't think it's the ethanol content issue but probably lack of additional additives. They are ways to overcome the additive deficiency issue such as filling up with branded gas every Nth fill.

And remember, there are only two refineries that produce gasoline here in Hawaii; Tesoro and Chevron. All others get their gas from them and add their own additives to make it theirs.

Now if you manufactured and retailed your own product as well as wholesaled it out generically, wouldn't you keep the good stuff and wholesale the rest?

Hmmmm...hey this batch as a higher sulphur level...okay wholesale it and make another batch.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

If this thread is attempting to sway drivers away from Costco gas, carry on. I hate long lines.
              May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

ha
                i was gonna come here and complain about the long lines at the waipio costco since gas has dropped significantly in price. We used to be able to zoom in and out, maybe waiting 5 mins max. Now, they have people directing traffic wtf :/

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
                  Hawaiʻi state law currently requires that all gasoline sold in the state have 10% ethanol. No more, no less. I seriously doubt that anyone would exceed the 10% content requirement, because most if not all of the auto makers do not recommend running their gasoline engines on fuel with more than that. (The state government has a page that lists all the manufacturers' statements on ethanol.)
                  The state law does not require gas to have 10%. It was reworded to up to 10%. Just look at the stickers on the gas pumps. They say up to 10%. That is where we are getting ripped off. Tesoro is not even producing gas to industry standards!http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...605190358.html

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
                    If this thread is attempting to sway drivers away from Costco gas, carry on. I hate long lines.
                    The long lines, plus a huge (20+ cent per gallon) discrepancy between cash and credit payments. Attempting to pay in cash, you typically encounter an absentee attendant that takes about 5 minutes to get the attention of. This is all happening while the long line of cars behind you gets restless and starts to contemplate road rage! (or is it gas station rage?)

But perhaps Hawaii has better service and more patient people? I don't even remember seeing a CostCo gas station the last time I was there.
                    Last edited by Vanguard; November 10, 2008, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Yeah, yeah, we all know about the lines, and whether it's worth it or not, but I've got time to kill tomorrow, so I'm wondering if it's open tomorrow. Anyone know? Is Costco opened on Veterans Day?

Mahalo!
                      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                        [...]Is Costco opened on Veterans Day?
                        I'd be very surprised if it wasn't open. Lotsa people off work who'll have time to shop...and buy gas! I mean, it IS patriotic to allow people to help stimulate the economy...right?!

Comment

at the harbor in kona they sell 100% gas for boats....but many people are putting it in their cars. The Tesoro station near the harbor also sells 100% gas. many were complaining about the ethanol.
                          Ethanol has been shown by many studies to actually be more costly in fuel to produce. corn takes tractors and the factories talke electricity and the stuff has to be shipped. many farmers are not growing feed corn anymore and in the rain forest areas they are planting more corn, not for food but for fuel.
                          costco in kona was 2.62 today....nearby at tesoro it was 3.36. in capt cook it was 3.46
                          some folks have posted a handwritten sign at chevron stating costcos price so people will be aware of the gouging going on. at one time there was nearly a dollar difference in price.
                          the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                            I'd be very surprised if it wasn't open. Lotsa people off work who'll have time to shop...and buy gas! I mean, it IS patriotic to allow people to help stimulate the economy...right?!
                            Indeed, you are correct. However, I went to the website and found out this:

Thanksgiving, Thursday, November 27, 2008 Closed

November 28, 2008, Friday: 9:00 AM - 8:30 PM

Christmas Eve, Wednesday, December 24, 2008: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM

Christmas, Thursday, December 25, 2008: Closed

New Year's Eve, Wednesday, December 31, 2008: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM

New Year's Day , Thursday, January 1, 2009: Closed
                            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

I thought it was illegal to put marine gas into cars because the highway tax isn't included in the price for marine gas and diesel?

Comment

Working...
                              X