• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• joshuatree
    replied
    Re: Uninsured motorists in C&C of Honolulu

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
    Otherwise you have to show insurance to the casher or perhaps be subject to the gas+insurance price.
    And that's why I think the proposal for verification at the pump is impractical. Imagine that single Costco attendant now needing to verify every customer waiting in line.

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
    YOW! That would mean that everyone would need to pay the same insurance (rate?), regardless of their driving habits??? UNFAIR!!!!!
    Not to mention type of car. Imagine the guy in his new Mercedes paying the same as the guy in his '87 Sentra.

Also, what about people who drive electric vehicles and never use a pump?

I say let's start picking off the low hanging fruit first, how about simply just asking for proof of insurance during car registration renewals? I don't see any requirement presently with the online system.

http://www4.honolulu.gov/mvrreg/

Leave a comment:

• Kaonohi
    replied

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    I've long been a proponent of "pay at the pump" to fund liability insurance that will cover all motorists. That way, everybody who desires to drive a car on this island will be forced to pay for insurance.

I know there has been criticism of the "pay at the pump" proposal. Goodness knows it's not perfect. But the system we have in place right now (which allows more than an estimated 25-30% of drivers to be on the road uninsured) sure isn't working.
    YOW! That would mean that everyone would need to pay the same insurance (rate?), regardless of their driving habits??? UNFAIR!!!!!

Tell me, frankin, how this could work. I approve of mandatory insurance for all drivers, however, how could the rates be managed?

I would call this a semi-great idea....

Leave a comment:

• GeckoGeek
    replied

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
    While I applaud the effort to reduce uninsured vehicles on the road, I think it's unfeasible to implement an electronic insurance card that will be used in the purchase of fuel.
    It looks like the idea is to make it compatible with existing hardware. The question is how expensive is it to reprogram the system to accept/require these cards? That's something only the guys who sell/service the pump systems would know.

While it looks like great idea, I think the net effect would be a land office business if fake cards. The higher end criminals seem to have no problems making fake credit cards, so I'm sure they'd jump at selling fake insurance cards with the mag stripe.

I wonder about the feasibility of connecting insurance to a credit/debit card? As long as you use that card to fill-up, no problem. Otherwise you have to show insurance to the casher or perhaps be subject to the gas+insurance price.

Leave a comment:

• GeckoGeek
    replied

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
    Meaning that price per gallon would now consist of cost of gas, taxes, and insurance?
    That idea has been floated before in public (not just by FM), so I think that's what he means.

I think it will create a different set of problems, but it would cover everyone.

Leave a comment:

• joshuatree
    replied

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    I've long been a proponent of "pay at the pump" to fund liability insurance that will cover all motorists. That way, everybody who desires to drive a car on this island will be forced to pay for insurance.

I know there has been criticism of the "pay at the pump" proposal. Goodness knows it's not perfect. But the system we have in place right now (which allows more than an estimated 25-30% of drivers to be on the road uninsured) sure isn't working.
    Curious, when you say "pay at the pump to fund liability insurance", are you suggesting car insurance in its present form be abolished and everyone gets insurance each time they fill up? Meaning that price per gallon would now consist of cost of gas, taxes, and insurance?

Leave a comment:

• Frankie's Market
    replied

Leave a comment:

• joshuatree
    replied

Hi MM,

While I applaud the effort to reduce uninsured vehicles on the road, I think it's unfeasible to implement an electronic insurance card that will be used in the purchase of fuel. Wouldn't this mean every gas station will now need to modify their fuel pumps to be able to read this card? If the electronic insurance card is not a magnetic strip, but rather a smart chip, that would make the additions to the pump even more expensive. Then it needs to connect back to a database to verify the card. Who bares the cost? If the insurance carriers have to bare the cost, most likely they will pass this cost over in the form of higher premiums which washes out any savings from removing uninsured vehicles. Or what if friend simply swipes his insurance card to help bypass fuel pump check? Or maybe start a black market for fuel? I fill a gas can to sell to people who are willing to pay a little extra?

Wouldn't it be more effective to simply require proof of insurance during car registration renewals and during safety checks?

On a side note, how about expanding the safety checks to include smog checks?

Leave a comment:

• Menehune Man
    started a topic Uninsured motorists in C&C of Honolulu

Uninsured motorists in C&C of Honolulu

UNINSURED MOTORISTS RESOLUTIONS GETTING HEARING:

"The agenda for the Safety, Economic Development and Government Affairs Committee for January 10, 9:00 a.m., at Honolulu Hale, has been posted. We have two resolutions that I have authored getting heard in this committee of which I am the Vice Chair, and Councilwoman Gabbard is the Chair - and in a nutshell - reso 11-307 and reso 11-308 if adopted, would request the State Legislature to allow our county to implement new technology that would make filling up a gas tank for a stolen car more difficult and lessen traffic on our public roads by over 10% without undergoing construction headaches or tax increases." Both resolutions written and introduced by Councilman Tom Berg.

Since it is the law to have insurance on most motor vehicles and possibly 10% do not, I think more should be done to correct that problem.
    It costs all other motorists in 'uninsured motorist' fees or actually having to sue an uninsured motorist for damages.
    You can read the resolutions in the links above. And give your comments here.
    Last edited by Menehune Man; January 6, 2012, 03:35 PM.
Working...
X