No announcement yet.

Have you changed your driving habits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Have you changed your driving habits?

Originally posted by mel
    Gas was $3.09 today at Lex Brodies. I went and topped off my 3/4 tank today. And even with my small Toyota Corolla it cost me $10 for a small amount of gas! Ouch.
    Ouch indeed! I saw on the news last night that Brodies was going to do that. Bummers. My office is one block away and that's where I always fill up (gotta love Mary who's been pumping gas there for something like 35 years!). But I'm at home in Makaha so the now $15. round trip wasn't worth it! I'm sure missing the good ol' days when gas, during gas wars, was .25/gal. Jeez...I'm starting to sound like my dad!

Was there a long line?

Comment

2nd Mortgage for Gas

A co-worker jokingly said this yesterday in our office..

"Oh good, it's pay day. I can finally fill up my car."

Had to share that here.

Last fill-up from just below half-tank in my mid-size car ran about $35.00.

Yes I've changed my driving habits. Now I look for the Costco gas line with the smallest cars waiting in front.
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

At one point I was paying $60/week to fill my semi-compact car this month, due to extenuating circumstances what required much more traveling than normal everyday. :-( I didn't have time to buy groceries or do laundry because of work, let alone wait in line at Costco. This week I will have more time...finally got a chance to get gas at Costco yesterday.

Comment

Costco Gas Price Hype

Was going to fill up at Costco the other day, but the line was soooo long (backed-up all the way to Dillingham Blvd), so I passed.

Ended up driving one block up to Tony's Gas Station.

Coscto price that day: $2.93/regular unleaded

Tony's Gas station that day: $2.95/regular unleaded.

2¢/gallon savings sure wasn't worth waiting in line for a half hour.
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

While cruising along on the freeway at 60 today I got passed by lots of people going in excess of 65.

So many drivers spend inordinate amounts of time waiting to get gas at Costco for 15 percent less but drive at speeds that waste 15 percent more gas.

Go figure!

That's right. Due to wind resistance, increasing your speed from 55 to 65 burns about 15 percent more gas. It gets worse if you go even faster. As a rule of thumb, it takes about 4 times more power to go twice as fast.

Interesting that these same people slow to less than 55 when there's a cop up ahead. I'll hold steady at 60 and pass them in the center lane.

Comment

I saw one of those "pricier gas still in the ground tanks" situations today. Shell station on Kamehameha Hwy Pearlridge had $3.19 R/U, while Chevron right across the cross street had $3.03. I still have a 1/4 tank, though, so I didn't bother with it.
              http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

At Costco Gas... why do I always have to be in the same line that has gramps putting gas in his van and then in 5 gas containers?!

Comment

yea. why can't this be like the mainlnad where we can shoot and/or run over inconsiderate people in our way like that!?

Comment

Rubber Neck for Rubbermaid®

Originally posted by cezanne
                    At Costco Gas... why do I always have to be in the same line that has gramps putting gas in his van and then in 5 gas containers?!
                    Funny you mention that. Fire departments around the country are concerned about consumers stockpiling gasoline in their homes, which could become serious fire hazards.

Retailers around the country have also reported abnormally brisk sales of plastic gasoline containers.
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                      yea. why can't this be like the mainlnad where we can shoot and/or run over inconsiderate people in our way like that!?
                      It's legal there? I had no idea.

going off now to write my lawmakers ...

Comment

legal, not legal, hell... dat don't stop nooobuddy. some o dose peeps in their deathmobiles would sooner shoot ya than lookatcha.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                          Well maybe he had his reasons...maybe he was gonna cut everyone's grass in his neighborhood...for the next couple years.

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992
                            So many drivers spend inordinate amounts of time waiting to get gas at Costco for 15 percent less but drive at speeds that waste 15 percent more gas.

Go figure!

That's right. Due to wind resistance, increasing your speed from 55 to 65 burns about 15 percent more gas. It gets worse if you go even faster. As a rule of thumb, it takes about 4 times more power to go twice as fast.
                            That really depends on what car the person is driving.
                            My daily driver for example will get about 24mpg at speeds under 55mph, but when i drive over 65, it gets 30mpg, and it's a 5.7L V8.

Wind resistance is not so much of a factor as aerodynamics, gear ratio, and engine size are.
                            Got Absinthe?

Comment

Originally posted by Alarick
                              That really depends on what car the person is driving.
                              My daily driver for example will get about 24mpg at speeds under 55mph, but when i drive over 65, it gets 30mpg, and it's a 5.7L V8.

Wind resistance is not so much of a factor as aerodynamics, gear ratio, and engine size are.
                              This is where I must call BS. What 5.7L V8 gets 30mpg at 65mpg? You'll have to back that one up Alarick. Nothin' personal.
                              Btw wind resistance is part of aerodynamics.
                              “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                              http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

A 4 speed automatic with 3.23 gears.

And i'm more than willing to take anyone for a ride with me to show them.

So let me know when your flight comes in, and i'll pick you up at the airport

And in the meantime, i'd suggest doing a little research on unmodified LS1's.

*Edit*

I should probably rephrase myself a bit.

In north Texas where i can drive for hours with out more than a 4 foot change in elevation, i get 30mpg at 70mph.
                                Here, it's 28-29mpg at over 70.
                                Last edited by Alarick; October 23, 2005, 09:18 AM.
                                Got Absinthe?

Comment

Working...
                                X