Truth or Hoax? Anyone know?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truth or Hoax? Anyone know?

I just received this from a friend of mine locally, who received it from someone locally, yada, yada, yada. Have any of you received it? And, "30 new unmarked cruisers."? Any thoughts?

My thoughts are...30 new cruisers + 50 officers 24/7...how're they gonna pay for that unless each officer does, in fact, write one ticket every 10 minutes? It seems to me this is already happening on the H-1 between the airport and Pearl City. That stretch is always a speed trap. Anyway...what do you think of the following? Truth or hoax?

"On February 1, the city and county of Honolulu will launch a 30-day speeding ticket frenzy. The city estimates that 9 million dollars will be generated in speeding tickets. 1 million will go to pay police overtime. There will be 50 police on duty at all times patrolling the 9 main thoroughfares.

They are the following:
    H-3 both directions
    H-2 both directions
    H-1 both directions
    Pali Hwy
    Likelike Hwy
    Nimitz Hwy
    Kalanianaole Hwy
    Kam Hwy
    Farrington Hwy

Now 5 mph above the limit can justify a ticket and every officer is supposed to pull a car over and write a ticket every 10 minutes. They have issued 30 brand new unmarked cruisers and they are bringing all their part timers on full time."

Re: Truth or Hoax? Anyone know?

I think it's a hoax; but then again, there are lots of small towns up here whose major source of income is from speeding tickets! They bank on the fact that most of the people who speed don't live in town and aren't likely to want to contest their tickets. They're banking on the humbug factor, that the scofflaws would rather just pay the ticket and get on with their lives rather than take the time to go to traffic court.

Paying for the cars is one thing (unless the HPD allows the police to use their own cars and pay for mileage). But I think it would be self-defeating to turn part time policemen into fulltime. It would bus' up da police dept. personnel budget. They would spend all their time enforcing traffic laws? Who would take care of the "real" crime going on? And if H-1 and H-3 are gridlocked most of the time, who can speed anyway?

Miulang
    Last edited by Miulang; January 25, 2006, 12:17 PM.
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I think this is a hoax too as speeding tickets and the likes go to the state for redistribution to the City.

But this should serve as a reminder to those of you who have larger diameter tires than stock on your car. Larger than stock diameter tires will give you the impression (speedometer reading) that you are going 55 when you are actually going much faster.

The opposite is true for smaller diameter wheels. You only tink you going fast but really one blue-haired grandma driving her buick just wen pass you in the slow lane.

Do the speedometer check with the mile markers. Pass one marker at 60-mph and maintain that speed til the next mile marker. Exactly 60-seconds should have elapsed. If you got there sooner than a minute and your speedo says you were doing 60...you're actually going faster. Or have a cop clock you and your excuse would be you're calibrating your speedometer and if he could be so kind as to clock you again three more times
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I think it is TRUE. I just recieved the EMAIL from someone.heheheh

Nuff said.

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Maybe its a scare tactic, and HPD will hope that everyone will be paranoid (if the local news receive this) enough to stop speeding.
          How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

One sure way to test it to see if it's the truth or a hoax is to try to go 65 mph on H-1 and see if an unmarked police car pulls you over on Feb 1! Or if you see multiple cars pulled over on the side of the road along with multiple policemen writing tickets...

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

ALERT! ITS A HOAX!!

Someone referenced it from New Jersey

That'll be all.
              Last edited by adrian; January 25, 2006, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Don't know about Feb. 1st. but sure had choke cops out tonight on H1 going Diamond Head by Moanaloa right after Kaiser Hospital all the way to the Vineyard off ramp! Dry run for Feb. 1st?

Auntie Lynn
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

No, more likely a fender bender caused by someone yakking on their cel phone and creaming into the car in front of them. And everybody else playing "lookie Lou".

Miulang

Comment

US's various and nefarious wars' budget

"My thoughts are...30 new cruisers + 50 officers 24/7...how're they gonna pay for that unless each officer does, in fact, write one ticket every 10 minutes?"

How pay for? "Grants" (with mucho strings attached, guaranteed) from US's various and nefarious wars' budget. Where else?

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                      One sure way to test it to see if it's the truth or a hoax is to try to go 65 mph on H-1 and see if an unmarked police car pulls you over on Feb 1! Or if you see multiple cars pulled over on the side of the road along with multiple policemen writing tickets...

Miulang
                      I see this all the time on the H-1 between the airport and Pearl City! Drivers beware!

Comment

Re: US's various and nefarious wars' budget

Originally posted by waioli kai
                        How pay for? "Grants" (with mucho strings attached, guaranteed) from US's various and nefarious wars' budget. Where else?
                        Booga booga!!

People will believe just about anything.

Yes, folks, it's a hoax. Continue driving recklessly, weaving from lane to lane without signaling, blocking the passing lane ... nobody will do a damn thing.
                        Last edited by MadAzza; January 25, 2006, 11:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                          Truth or hoax?
                          Perhaps what they were thinking of was this, from today's newspaper:
                          http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...0344/1001/NEWS

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Re: US's various and nefarious wars' budget

Originally posted by MadAzza
                            Booga booga!!

People will believe just about anything.

Yes, folks, it's a hoax. Continue driving recklessly, weaving from lane to lane without signaling, blocking the passing lane ... nobody will do a damn thing.

In today's Hawaii Tribune http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/ it was stated that Big Island drivers "Suck" Yep I believe it. As a matter of fact I believe all bad drivers on Oahu were Big Island Transplants. Sarcastic? Hell I'm living on the Big Island and see it first hand. I though driving Ewa-bound on the H-1 was bad, that's a drive thru the park compared to the idiots on the Pahoa Highway who take ignorance to a lower level.

BTW you see the picture of that huge Honu that Connections Public charter school did? Look closely at the right leg tip and count two spots up on the inside. The inside spot is my 5th grade son Reyn.

I'm so proud he made the front page of the Hilo Rag
                            Last edited by craigwatanabe; January 27, 2006, 04:26 PM.
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Someone who works for the place where they house and distribute HPD's tickets said that they just shipped about 31,000 tag books to the state.

I don't know if this is true or not, but I got it here, at another local forum.

I still say its all a ploy to let people who knows to slow down. I'm still waiting for a news organization to pick this up (Tannya, Erika, or anyone else who works in news and browse here, care to comment?)

Comment

Working...
                              X