Maui air ambulance crash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maui air ambulance crash

Competition in the air ambulance market for Hawai'i is really heating up now. Besides Hawai'i Air Ambulance, there are now 4 other companies filing certificates of need with the State. At the very least, this competition will be good for the residents of the neighbor islands who up until now had to rely solely on Hawai'i Air Ambulance to transport special care patients to Honolulu.

If I was in the Legislature, I'd choose at least 2 carriers to provide the services so that if there were issues with one service, there would still be adequate backup to transport seriously ill patients, as long as the Neighbor Islands don't have the same level of tertiary care services that Honolulu can provide.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
      If I was in the Legislature, I'd choose at least 2 carriers to provide the services so that if there were issues with one service, there would still be adequate backup to transport seriously ill patients
      There actually is backup already in place -- Army, National Guard and even Coast Guard helicopters and planes have filled the void since that last crash.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
        There actually is backup already in place -- Army, National Guard and even Coast Guard helicopters and planes have filled the void since that last crash.
        But that "backup" will only run through July...and the "backup" that was present previously from the Army is sending its troops and choppers off to Iraq soon. These were the nice folks who used to ferry people injured in crashes on H1 and H2 from the accident scene to the hospital. In a time of "peaceful" war like we are in now, I don't think you can count on continued support from the military.

Here's a SIXTH competitior entering the market: Pacific Wings

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Looks like the doctors of Maui will officially have at least two alternatives to getting patients from Maui to Honolulu when they need special care. That should make everybody feel a little better about not having the same services as Honolulu, but it would be much much better for each island to have its own tertiary care center so patients don't have to go off-island to be treated.

Miulang

Comment

Working...
          X