This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Are You GO for $39?

Please don't get me wrong, I'm just frustrated by all the monopolies that we
    depend on and gouge us from HEI to Oceanic Time Warner to HA/AQ.
    In short we don't really have much choices, thus we get repeately shafted.
    I've lived here long enough to know it is way things are and there is very little
    you can do avoid getting shafted. But that doesn't stop me from voicing my opinion.

and YES these monopolies are shafting us. There is no doubt in my mind
    to that FACT.
    Last edited by Konaguy; July 7, 2006, 08:29 PM.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Comment

"shafting"...

providing a service...

tomato / toe-mah-toe

if i'm still breathin'... it's a good day!

although it must drive people at Island Air, Pacific Wings, various charter flight companies, etc. kinda crazy to almost never get any respect...
      Last edited by 808shows.com; July 7, 2006, 08:53 PM.
      808shows.com / 808PhotoVault.com / Hawaiian Express Records...

Comment

Originally posted by 808shows.com
        "shafting"...

providing a service...

tomato / toe-mah-toe

Typical response...defending the shafting and gouging.. no wonder things will never change.No wonder Hawaii is called "Peoples Republic of Hawaii." From businesses to government it is painfully evident
        The Kona Blog

Comment

New interisland carrier 82.5% full

Mesa Air Group Inc.'s new interisland airline, go!, filled 82.5 percent of its seats during its first month of operation, the Phoenix-based parent said yesterday.

Go!, which began service on June 9, had an on-time arrival rate of 88.9 percent.
          To me just reading from this, Hawaii travelers are trying out Go! and I am sure flying for mostly the bargain price of $39. I am sure both Hawaiian, Aloha and possibly even Island Air may be enjoying better load factors this summer than they were last year for interisland flights. Why? The $39 fare I bet.

Flying interisland is currently affordable at this time and I suggest everyone take advantage of the fares while they last, no matter what airline you fly.

For me as I have mentioned earlier in this thread, I already have my $39 e-tickets on Hawaiian Air. If Go! was not in the marketplace I am sure I would not be flying this summer for $39 on Hawaiian or any other interisland airline.

The public likes low fares no matter what airline they fly. Now is the time to go "holo holo".

I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

um... ?? that's just plain silly.

if anything, I defended the guys people keep leaving out of the conversation...

then i went to go see a movie.
            it was nice.

don't get me wrong, i still prefer concerts!

ok, goodnight.
            see ya at a show?!!

Comment

ps - ranking "on-time" flights and lost baggage. I don't really know for sure but I don't think the on-time rankings involve baggage and here's why it can (and often does) take a while to get baggage: staffing. Hundreds of bags per flight are actually handled by only a 2-3 people per shift out on the flightline and then brought all the way from overseas terminal to the interisland terminal where it is dropped off to no more than 3 people assigned to work baggage claim (like me). It's not easy. Besides, lost and speedy delivery are different. We try to make sure everything gets on the correct flight and we try to return it as quickly as we can, or at least I do! So, should you choose to fly hawaiian air, and it takes us a while to immediately process all those bags... please bare with us, we truly are doing our best... Mahalo.
              Is Hawaiian the only airline company that manually handles baggage that way? As I recall, companies like United "containerize" their bags so instead of loading them on the planes and removing them one by one the way Hawaiian does, the only time baggage handlers get involved is when the containers arrive at baggage claim? I'm not blaming you guys, the poor, overworked baggage handlers, I'm just wondering if there isn't a more efficient way for people to be able to get their bags in a more timely manner. This happens to me on interisland flights, too, not just Mainland to Hawai'i flights.
              Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Hah, I'm sure you've noticed Miulang that Hawai'i is always behind the times when it comes to anything efficient or technical.
                Arturo

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                  Is Hawaiian the only airline company that manually handles baggage that way? As I recall, companies like United "containerize" their bags so instead of loading them on the planes and removing them one by one the way Hawaiian does, the only time baggage handlers get involved is when the containers arrive at baggage claim? I'm not blaming you guys, the poor, overworked baggage handlers, I'm just wondering if there isn't a more efficient way for people to be able to get their bags in a more timely manner. This happens to me on interisland flights, too, not just Mainland to Hawai'i flights.
                  Miulang

Yeah, no I don't blame you for being bummed on delays... I would be too. But to answer your question about using containers, it depends on the aircraft. The ones we use for interisland simply cannot be put in containers, the space is too small. We load and unload every itme by hand. As far as I know, all the interisland carriers have to load by hand, one at a time.

Mainland flights are different, but even though it's coming on and off the plane in bulk, we still basically unload the contents of each container by hand, one at a time.

Average piece count is 35 per small "can" as we call 'em and 80 per large can... the average can count is 2 small and 3-4 large so that's upwards of 400 bags per flight.

Then, in case you care to hear it all... we only use two baggage claim belts for mainland flight arrivals and sometimes we have 3-4 flights ready to unload at the same time, with as you may recall, only 2-3 people working on getting them to our customers. It can be a bit of a mess, but with everyone wanting discounted rates on an expensive operation, chaos ensues.

Not to mention, some flights have like 20 gate check items... wheelchairs, strollers, car seats and all of that has to be carried upstairs before we can even start taking bags to baggage claim, and we have to collect the agriculture forms from the flight attendants and that has to go in first. Any company can be fined by the government if baggage enters baggage claim before the agriculture forms are turned in... it's crazy but it can cause major delays.

anyway, that's my answer for ya. Hope things are better for you next time, no matter who gets your business.

now before anybody gets all crazy with the competitive posting, I'm just sharing information, I'm not defending anybody or caring if you like Hawaiian or not... I just happen to work there, feel free to dislike the place if it helps you get through the day... consider me the peoples republic of switzerland.

and yes, as stated above, efficiency seems to be a confusing concept for the higher ups in the company. I'd certainly do a great many things different if someone would put me in charge!

take care...

Comment

808shows, don't even sweat defending HA against Mesa / go! Konaguy is just exactly the kind of person Mesa is counting on to succeed in Hawaii. Mesa knows they are out there, and no matter what evidence you give them, or how horrible of a personal time they had on Mesa or Hawaiian or Aloha or any airline. Until one of these airlines sinks a fuselage in between two of the islands, people like konaguy wont care about anything but who has the cheapest price.

konaguy says he will never fly Hawaiian again, thats might be true until Hawaiian's price is a nickle cheaper than Aloha's. Then he will quickly and convieniently forget all his hatred towards HAL.

"Its all about me", should be the corporate slogan for go! It would suit their CEO and their customers both perfectly well.

If go! ever happened to put one or both local carriers out of business in Hawaii it would suck for everybody but it would suck MORE for THESE SAME PEOPLE who only care about price, people just like konaguy, who really need the low fares.

As konaguy has pointed out several times to me and you 808shows, we "work for the airlines" and while with a go! victory in Hawaii (very unlikely) we may temporarily be out of work, I can take my qualifications elsewhere and probably get paid more, and always fly for free. YOU THE CONSUMERS and residents of Hawaii will be stuck with Mesa as your only choice for a long while, and when he jacks up his prices to cover his losses DON'T COME CRYING TO US ON THIS MESSAGE BOARD. When you finally get what you wanted, be sure to suck it up like a grown man and pay the 400% to 1600% higher price markup.

now before anybody gets all crazy with the competitive posting, I'm just sharing information, I'm not defending anybody or caring if you like Hawaiian or not... I just happen to work there, feel free to dislike the place if it helps you get through the day... consider me the peoples republic of switzerland.
                    GO WARRIORS!!

Comment

Then, in case you care to hear it all... we only use two baggage claim belts for mainland flight arrivals and sometimes we have 3-4 flights ready to unload at the same time, with as you may recall, only 2-3 people working on getting them to our customers. It can be a bit of a mess, but with everyone wanting discounted rates on an expensive operation, chaos ensues.
                      So, lack of employees and funds are the reasons usually only two out of the six baggage claim belts here on Maui are used for all arriving flights? It's so ridiculous that hundreds of passengers from multiple flights have to cram around the same belt when the rest of the building looks like a ghost town. Are that many more resources really necessary to spread out the luggage onto the other belts?

When I recently flew go! back home to Maui, I had to pick up my bag from belt #1 where mainland passengers from Chicago were also waiting for their luggage. I think there might have been an interisland Aloha flight in the mix as well. It made absolutely no sense why we were all sharing the same belt when the rest of the belts were clearly empty.

Comment

Originally posted by aloha-anon
                        808shows, don't even sweat defending HA against Mesa / go! Konaguy is just exactly the kind of person Mesa is counting on to succeed in Hawaii. Mesa knows they are out there, and no matter what evidence you give them, or how horrible of a personal time they had on Mesa or Hawaiian or Aloha or any airline. Until one of these airlines sinks a fuselage in between two of the islands, people like konaguy wont care about anything but who has the cheapest price.
                        You must be really independently wealthy ? Really you must be ? As I haven't
                        flown to Oahu to visit since 2001. The reason why is high airfares by HA/AQ.
                        You really don't care about high airfares since you get to fly for free.

We are getting gouged by all these monopolies, why blame me for wanting to save money ?
                        Last edited by Konaguy; July 9, 2006, 04:41 PM.
                        The Kona Blog

Comment

Sorry, can't speak for Maui... I work over at HNL.
                          I would have to guess though that yes, it's probably a matter of not enough staff (and that includes airport staff like agricultre inspectors and security guards that work alongside airline staff) to operate all the belts, but again, I don't know anything at all about their staffing or set-up. Again, wouldn't blame you for frustration but there's often a reason behind it all, and trust me, it probably frustrates the staff too...

now then, konaguy.
                          please, you're killing me.

monopolies?
                          even duopolies is incorrect.

c'mon now. do the math...

Island Air
                          Aloha Airlines
                          Pacific Wings
                          Go! Airlines
                          Hawaiian Air
                          Charter planes (like George's Aviation Services, Inc.)

it all adds up to options.
                          but thanks for the laughs.

I hope for your sake and anyone else that is or has been displeased (unfortunately) with the state of affairs in island travel in recent years, that the low rates last forever. Because, believe it or not, I do care. I just don't care if you like Hawaiian Air or not because in reality, Hawaiian Air is one of many... and despite the opinions that you have (and are welcome to) it's a tough industry.

Besides, I prefer to focus more on things like health and well-being...

now can we go have a nice time at a show or what?
                          ...the first rounds on me.
                          and all the while, the glass will be half full my friend, half full.
                          Last edited by 808shows.com; July 10, 2006, 02:57 AM.

Comment

now then, konaguy.
                            please, you're killing me.
                            monopolies?
                            even duopolies is incorrect.
                            c'mon now. do the math...
                            Island Air
                            Aloha Airlines
                            Pacific Wings
                            Go! Airlines
                            Hawaiian Air
                            Charter planes (like George's Aviation Services, Inc.)
                            it all adds up to options.
                            but thanks for the laughs.

WHATEVER..... Well if all this competition was really competition
                            prices would be dropping eh ? That didn't happen until Go entered. So
                            the competition you mention is like a paper tiger.

To clarify further before Go entered the market, it was duopoly between
                            HA/AQ. As the competion you mention didn't lower prices until Go entered.
                            All in all, its a typical response from someone who can fly free.
                            Last edited by Konaguy; July 10, 2006, 04:37 PM.
                            The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy
                              WHATEVER.....
                              To clarify further before Go entered the market, it was duopoly between
                              HA/AQ. As the competion you mention didn't lower prices until Go entered..
                              Actually Aaron, "commuter/charter" lines like Mokulele ARE cheaper than HA/AQ. Only problem with those planes is they're small and you KNOW how much stuff locals take with them when they travel interisland...all that omiyage for all those relatives! The charter flights tend to fly into the smaller airports, too. BTW: Mokulele does fly a Kona--->HNL route, so you COULD fly to Honolulu for cheap even before go! entered the market, the catch being that you'd be getting there in a Piper Cub. The best part about these little planes is you don't have to go through the hassle of airport security (well, except at MKK and any airport where the "big boys" share facilities with the charters). Looks like Mokulele will also start having regularly scheduled flights to their current destinations, soon.

Speaking of alternatives to the "big boys", it cracked me up when I was on Molokai and went down to the ferry dock at K'kai to watch the Molokai Princess ferry ($40/OW between Lahaina and K'kai) load passengers...man, people were taking on board those HUUUGE ice chests (the kind that can hold one uncut whole mahimahi), biiiig cardboard boxes full of stuff for the ohana. I imagine that's what's going to happen if/when Superferry starts operations. You are going to see pickup trucks filled with cardboard boxes in the back, all tied down with rope.

Miulang
                              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

My point was this supposed competition before Go arrived never reduced
                                airfares on HA/AQ. Real competition is supposed to reduce airfares.
                                The Kona Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X