Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Have you ever ridden on a boat?

Originally posted by timkona
    Licensed Captain. 100 tons. Sail & Tow. nuf said.
    I'm curious Tim. Is there not too much money to be made working with your license? I gather you don't work on boats nowadays. How much time and money did it take to get your Capt. Lic.?
    “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
    http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

First time on a boat (never been on a ship), was the ferry between Seattle and Bremerton. Then, I went on a small boat from Subic Bay, around the Bataan Peninsula, to Corregidor on a tour. [Damn, this brings back memory of losing four rolls of slide film when I took them to be developed at Ala Moana Long's in 1971. Lost memorable pitchers of the "still-undeveloped for tourist" jungle-overriden Corregidor.]

All above occurred while I was in the Navy. No, I was never stationed on a ship during my four years.

Since then, I've been on one catamaran ride off Waikiki. And that's it.
      Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
        Deep sea fishing a few times outside Kwajalein Lagoon (never caught much). Tourist boat over in Kona. Sailing off Waikiki a couple of times on a friend's 30-foot sailboat. The big one was sailing here from LA on the Lurline back in 1968. That was 5 1/2 days.
        I grew up hearing the Lurline's name but never really knew anything about it. Please to enlighten me. Wasn't there a sister ship?

So what was the Matsonia and the Mariposa, another couple ships' names I grew up hearing....

Thank you.

Comment

Here's a history of the Lurline, with a photo. The Mariposa and Monterey were sister ships.

I learned a few things from that. The original Lurline suffered engine damage in the 60s such that it couldn't be easily repaired, so the company (Matson) renamed the Matsonia the Lurline; that means the ship I was on in 1968 had originally been the Matsonia. Huh.
          Last edited by Linkmeister; June 30, 2006, 07:58 AM. Reason: Oops. Monterey, not Matsonia
          http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

One of my uncles used to be one of those guys diving for quarters as the ship left port. Up Maunalani Heights there are streets named Lurline, Mariposa, Matsonia, and Monterey.

Palama Kid were you stationed at Subic? I flew in out of Cubi Point from '69-'71, and was stationed there for nine months in 1970...loved "Po City".

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
              Here's a history of the Lurline, with a photo. The Mariposa and Monterey were sister ships.

I learned a few things from that. The original Lurline suffered engine damage in the 60s such that it couldn't be easily repaired, so the company (Matson) renamed the Matsonia the Lurline; that means the ship I was on in 1968 had originally been the Matsonia. Huh.
              Thanks for the link. It's a good read.

Comment

I own a couple of boats. Even sailed one from Hawai'i to California a while back.
                Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

OK all you nautical types. What's the difference between a ship and a boat? I always get it wrong and the sailor boys give me stink eye.

Comment

you can put a boat on a ship but you can’t put a ship on a boat.

Ships are much, much bigger than boats.

Comment

I think it's more about the money. If you're filthy (Warren Buffet style) rich then your ship is your "Boat" as in, "Ah this is just my boat".

Yeah right like my BMW is just my daily beater.
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonah K
                        I own a couple of boats. Even sailed one from Hawai'i to California a while back.

Man, what was THAT like ? How long did it take ?
                        http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                        Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                        Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Most of my boating has been in Minnesota, Wisconsin and Nebraska. Canoes, houseboats, pontoon partyboats, fishing boats, speedboats, and poor attempts at water skiing. Love floating around in a canoe at the shady edges of the river/lake, watching the fish, frogs, turtles and muskrats swim underneath. Used to do the whale watch cruises off Cape Cod every year when I lived in New England. (Ech, whale breath.) Ferries in Italy. Never been on a boat in Hawaii, though.

Comment

I'm curious Tim. Is there not too much money to be made working with your license? I gather you don't work on boats nowadays. How much time and money did it take to get your Capt. Lic.?

Hard to make money in an industry dominated by young kids who don't have wife, kids, mortgage, car payment, etc etc. I really love working on the ocean, but financial realities are what they are.

Takes about 2 or 3 years to get your license if you work full time. You need a certain number of hours, but I don't remember how many. Then you take this 1 month course that is 4 hours per day, 6 days per week, with about 5 hours of reading everyday. Then you take a test from the Coast Guard. Part of the test requires a 90% score to pass. It's a tough haul for any "C" student.
                            FutureNewsNetwork.com
                            Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                              OK all you nautical types. What's the difference between a ship and a boat? I always get it wrong and the sailor boys give me stink eye.
                              Ships are vessels exceeding 100 feet in length.

I've been on a lot of boats and thrown up lots of times. Some were very small (a 9' inflatable) and some were very large (the USS Nimitz which is more than 100 feet long and qualifies as a ship).

I own a small boat and I've gotten sick on that, too. But I enjoy being out there so much that I'm willing to work past the sickness part. I also insist on driving which seems to prevent me from getting sick almost all of the time.

If you're getting seasick, drink lots of water. So when you do hurl, you won't be hurling anything that tastes nearly as bad if you hadn't had that water. And don't fight the urge to hurl. Just do it. You'll feel a lot better a lot quicker.

And to prevent seasickness, take a ginger capsule along with a dose of less-drowsy Dramamine or generic equivalent. Works like a charm. Be sure to take it a couple hours before leaving the dock.

Other tips for seasickness: Don't joke about it. You'll just start thinking about it and sometimes that's all it takes. Keep your mind occupied with something other than getting sick. Focusing on it will bring it on more often than not.

Get a lot of rest the day before. Being fatigued can sometimes trigger it. If you're getting queasy, lay flat on your back. It'll stop it almost instantly. A swig of very cold beer seems to help stop that queasy feeling.

Eat something light before the trip. An empty stomach isn't a good idea and being stuffed is probably almost as bad.

Keep the wind in your face and stay away from the back of diesel-powered boats. The smelly exhaust fumes can get you going.

Most of all, stay comfortable, get relaxed, and have fun!

Comment

Working...
                              X