No announcement yet.

Whew! Parking Rates Downtown skyrocket!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whew! Parking Rates Downtown skyrocket!

From today's Advertiser :
    The median monthly parking rate for a reserved stall in a downtown garage has surged $64 from a year ago to $299 — the ninth-highest rate among 49 U.S. metropolitan areas, according to an annual mid-year survey by Colliers International.
    When Dad worked for BOH downtown he got parking at Harbor Square for about $35/month, I think. (OK, it was 1975-1985.) When I went to HPU I parked at the vacant lot at Beretania-Nuuanu (before the high-rises got built; the ones across Nuuanu from Kukui Plaza). If I got there after 10:00am I could park free, since the gate guard left at that hour. To a guy on the GI Bill, free parking was a big help.
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Re: Whew! Parking Rates Downtown skyrocket!

You would think with the rising cost of parking in DT more people will ride the bus or consider the rail whenever it happens.

But if people are willing to pay the market price for parking then the demand is still there and that means the demand for mass transit will always be lower.

If you really want to see mass transit work, raise the parking rates another 100% and see if the market changes it's mind.

I hear in Japan you can't own a car unless you own a private parking space and that the cost of owning a car there is astronomical. Those disinsentives could push more people here to ride the bus or rail. That plus toll booths on our freeways because we've already discovered that it doesn't matter how much the price of gasoline is, we'll still drive to work in our cars.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

A friend of mine who parks in Davies said that a reserved stall there is $400 a month. It's insane that people are willing to pay that, but there are still plenty of takers.

Comment

Originally posted by Adri
        A friend of mine who parks in Davies said that a reserved stall there is $400 a month. It's insane that people are willing to pay that, but there are still plenty of takers.
        I remember when parking at Davis was only $130 per month and that was back in 1982.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Well, let's be realistic. I suspect that most of the downtown parking stalls in the big covered areas (Davies, Grosvenor) are being paid for by employers for employees above a certain pay grade, so people like Adri's friend are not directly out of pocket. Indirectly, of course they are, since their salary/wages might be higher if the employer wasn't paying for parking.

It's the bank tellers and small shop owners/clerks I wonder about. Where do they park? Do they all bus?
          http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
            Well, let's be realistic. I suspect that most of the downtown parking stalls in the big covered areas (Davies, Grosvenor) are being paid for by employers for employees above a certain pay grade, so people like Adri's friend are not directly out of pocket. Indirectly, of course they are, since their salary/wages might be higher if the employer wasn't paying for parking.

It's the bank tellers and small shop owners/clerks I wonder about. Where do they park? Do they all bus?
            Actually, my friend is paying for the parking out of his pocket. Davies and Grosvenor have a fair number of small or solo law firms and other small businesses.

eta: I do know some people do take the bus or park way in Chinatown and walk in. Another complaint from my friend is that so much parking is now reserved that there is very little parking for guests aka customers of the people in the building.

Comment

$300.00 a month is pocket change to a lot of people working downtown.

Many others have companies that pay for their parking as part of the incentives and/or benefits of working for the company.
              Last edited by damontucker; July 21, 2006, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
                [...]It's the bank tellers and small shop owners/clerks I wonder about. Where do they park? Do they all bus?
                When my office was on Keawe St., which has free street parking, I would see people asleep in their cars...or putting on make-up...or reading the paper and eating breakfast. They arrived extra, extra early just to get a parking place in Kakaako, spend a couple of hours in their cars then walk downtown.

Comment

Boy, am I glad I work at home!

Comment

Working...
                  X