Fear of flying...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fear of flying...

While you still have 3 interisland carriers flying, you really should take advantage of the low low prices because they won't last forever. Here is a feature story in yesterday's Seattle Times Sunday supplement about what competition has done to the quality of the flying experience (the cutting back of amenities, the crabby passengers, etc.).

One thing is for sure, if one of the 3 local interisland carriers is forced out of business, you'll be back to that same old 2-carrier scenario again, and then watch the airfares start creeping back up again, especially if oil prices continue to rise. There aren't many amenities left to cut from interisland flights anymore...next they'll start charging for the POG and water or toilet paper you use, or maybe they'll start charging you to bring carryons on board. Heh. They could make a killing on charging $5 for every box of Krispy Kreme donuts brought aboard an OGG-->HNL flight!

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Fear of flying...

To tell you the truth they could do without the drink service on the interisland flights. The only one that would make sense would be the non-stop Lihue to Hilo or Kona flights but no one does that.

The beverage service sort of made sense when the interisland flights took over 40 minutes using the prop planes but with jets making the trip in 20 to 30 minutes just seems un-needed.

Comment

I've never understood why the local airlines serve that overly sugared, pink, sticky, liquid crap anyway. Ick, that stuff is nasty! Nobody needs that much sugar in a week. I made the mistake of trying it once. The contents shot all over my hands when I pulled the lid back. Sticky gunk everywhere!

Comment

Before someone mentions it, there are really 4 airlines flying interisland, not counting the commuters. So let's list em again.

Hawaiian
        Aloha
        Island Air
        Go!

Commuters:

Pacific Wings
        Mokulele

Charter:

Interisland Airways

Fear of flying? That is when you are in a prop plane flying in a big storm with rain, thunder blasting and lightning flashing; the plane is shaking from turbulance or whatever the winds are throwing at it. The props seem to be straining in flight... Add night time to the flight and the interior lights flickering on and off... well that is scary. Did that on Mid Pacific Airlines, YS-11 turboprop in the 1980s. Somehow we got to Hilo in one piece!
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
          I've never understood why the local airlines serve that overly sugared, pink, sticky, liquid crap anyway. Ick, that stuff is nasty! Nobody needs that much sugar in a week. I made the mistake of trying it once. The contents shot all over my hands when I pulled the lid back. Sticky gunk everywhere!
          Anyone ever noticed how some people will shake the juice container before opening it?

As though the normal turbulence of delivering it to the plane, and flying hasn't shaken that stuff enough already?

Comment

Working...
          X