Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Crane crunches Aiea pedestrian overpass

Originally posted by 1stwahine
    Once again, I'm glad everything turned out great for Staci and you. As for you collecting on the car repairs...please let us know.
    Collecting from whom? It's not someone else's fault if your car breaks down.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
      So if the military is responsible for this...and they have to pay for it...
      Doesn't that mean we all pay for it in the end w/ our tax dollars!
      It'll probably work out cheaper than raising your insurance premiums.
      http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
      http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
        It's late now... I'm not out that way... is it really still crazy that way?
        It still looks pretty bad on the traffic cams. But they're still pics, not moving images, so it's hard to tell if traffic is moving, or how fast. According to Kimo, it's still slow going in the Aiea area. He sounds pretty frustrated. I'd be losing it, for sure! I feel so sorry for everyone who's stuck out there (or who was stuck), having to go to the bathroom, or low on gas, or with an overheating car, or with hungry kids waiting to be picked up from their
        Girl Scouts meeting or whatever.

What a mess! I'm so glad I had today off and didn't have to drive from town to Kapolei tonight.

Wonder how many people will be taking tomorrow off?
        All of 'em?

Comment

My family and I decided to kill time at Ala Moana but left there at 9, when the mall was closed and we got really bored at Barnes and Noble, heading leeward and still didn't make it home for 3 1/2 hours. But it still sounds better than the amount of time you guys spent in traffic so I guess waiting at Ala Moana was worthwhile after all.

Comment

Did the guy just not think that his vehicule was too big to go under the bridge?
            http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
            http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon
              Did the guy just not think that his vehicule was too big to go under the bridge?
              Everyone seems to be blaming the driver, but I'm not sure he was at fault. Maybe this doesn't make sense (it's late, I'm tired), but since he's apparently in the military, would it perhaps be someone else's responsibility to ensure that the vehicle did not exceed the height requirement? Just a thought.

And now, to bed, hoping for clear roads for all tomorrow!

Comment

The "boss" finally made it home (Mililani) from town at 11:20 p.m. Said it was absolutely the worst traffic jam she had ever been in. I had already made dinner, so it was microwave time. Her minivan had just been serviced, so no mechanical issues like radiator or battery problems, low fuel, etc. We were just glad to have her home with us.

She may take the today off, or start later as she has "flex-time."

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
                  And is our government paying attention? Why is our infrastructure so incapable?

... Because academia has decreed that building more roads will NOT solve our transportation woes.
                  I would say this is a major fallacy. In fact, I would say the majority of academia as well as the federal government agree roads are the future. Just ask Panos Prevedouros, professor of civil engineering at UH. Or better yet, watch him on ‘Ōlelo’s Voter Viewpoint “Traffic Issues” segment (channel 49), today, 9/24 or 9/25 at 6:30 a.m.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                  USA TODAY, page 2A
                  11 March 1993

Comment

Here are links to yesterday's traffic chaos by the 2 Honolulu dailies:

STUCK = StarBulletin.com

Slow Traffic Ahead - Honolulu Advertiser
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

• Re: Crane crunches Aiea pedestrian overpass

Man, that's kind of sad!! I walked across that walkway everyday before and after school to get to the bus stop on Moanalua Rd. That's okay, maybe it was it's time.

The cool thing is, only in Hawaii would people have such a great attitude about the situation. Anywhere else in the country you'd hear people going nuts.
                      "Dont put of 'til tomorrow what you can forget about completely!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by kaipo

The cool thing is, only in Hawaii would people have such a great attitude about the situation.
                        Really? You might get a different perspective if you polled those who were actually stuck in all of that neverending infernal quagmire last night.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
                          Collecting from whom? It's not someone else's fault if your car breaks down.
                          Maddie, Due to the circumstances yesterday, cars were stuck in traffic for hours. Many like tutusue's overheated. While others caused many too have ukapila problems.

It is the responsibility of the owner to always have their vehicle up to par and in good working condition another reason why we have Safety Inspections. However, what happened yesterday was beyond the norm for anyone to forsee and the norm for any vehicle in good shape to sustain the beating it took.

Yes, I believe those whose car were damaged, who can show proof of said damages should file a claim to recieve reimbursements. I also believe anyone who suffered any ill effects or loss of income, etc. should do the same too. It was an accident. An accident which could have been preventable. An accident which crippled half our island for many hours.

Someone is responsible for all the hardship, pain and misery which people went through last night. Yes, I believe people need and should claim reimbursement. It is only fair and just.

Love and Aloha

Auntie Lynn
                          Last edited by 1stwahine; September 6, 2006, 06:25 AM.
                          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I'm just glad that everyone is safely home (or is anyone stuck downtown?)

I was on Kam near the Walmart area, and with the traffic light not working, I could feel everyone's emotions (maybe not that much since I was stuck for only 5 minutes).
                            How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

With all due respect, I doubt most of the tens of thousands of people stuck in traffic yesterday have any true claim to compensation of any kind, save a heartfelt apology and a public stoning. (Kidding!) Someone's at fault, civil action is likely, but since there's military on one end and the state on the other, it's basically moving money from one pocket to the other -- all taxpayer money, of course.

Well, that's the assumption. The driver, the truck, something along the line may have involved a private contractor, in which case, it would really suck to be those guys today...

It sure felt weird getting into the office this morning, feeling as if I just left. I also barely traded five words with my family last night, so I'm missing them more than usual.

As to people having a good attitude, or not, I have no doubt there will be a lot of angry, angry letters and TV soundbites, demands for this, calls for that, a petition or two... but again, having been stuck in the heart of it all, I thought folks handled themselves better than I expected. The stories of uncommon courtesy are already out there, and comparing length of time on the road (six hours!) will be this week's top office contest. I'm sure we'll all be talking like grizzled battle veterans soon enough.

Here's the photo I mentioned earlier, which I was able to take about five minutes after talking to scrivener and while traffic was at a dead stop on Kamehameha Highway at around 10 p.m.

Comment

I am amazed at the general resistance displayed by many towards villifying the Politics of NO. The Politics of NO has hampered our infrastructure design and construction now for the last 30 years. They have done an excellent job of increasing costs, increasing time, increasing red tape, and stalling every Public Hearing with their constant complaints.

Imagine the nightmare and expense of building the Ewa Bridge/Tunnel. We really need another road from town, but how many would jump up and down screaming NO, NO, NO !!!
                                FutureNewsNetwork.com
                                Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Working...
                                X