Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Crane crunches Aiea pedestrian overpass

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
    It's the owners fault if there car breaks down...

No matter how old the car is... if it was maintained... it wouldn't have broke down.

I don't have a new car either... how ever I do maintain my 4 year old car!

I'm sorry if you think this statement is inconsiderate... the truth often stings!
    Bu!!$#!t...see post #119. Didya know that every guy who watches a ppv UH game becomes impotent? It's their fault for spending $60. to watch the game. If you think this statement is inconsiderate...the truth often stings.

Comment

Posted by Tutusue: She missed her flight and we just got to my office where we'll spend the night 'cuz my car's radiator blew in the middle of Nimitz at 7p.
      I would say this is operator error. You weren't watching the guages possibly?

When a radiator blows...it's typically overheated... Had you pulled over to the side of the road (if could) or turned off the car let it cool down... then you wouldn't have pushed your engine.

It was noted that many people pulled over to the side of the road...

And as far as being impotent for watching $60.00 PPV games... I guess my son's a figment of my imagination (Heck had I had the time and money I probably would have flown to Alabama!)

Comment

Well. As this thread is thoroughly Manoa'd, why not check out another collection of local rantings inspired by the freeway closure. The Honolulu Advertiser is collecting comments, and not surprisingly the range of opinions and degree of articulation so far demonstranted is... vast.

Comment

When a radiator blows...it's typically overheated... Had you pulled over to the side of the road (if could) or turned off the car let it cool down... then you wouldn't have pushed your engine.

It's a fact that even a well maintained car can overheat in the conditions which were encountered yesterday. If I recall correctly, Tutusue's earlier post noted that she was watching her gauges and they did not show an abnormal reading - the radiator gave up without warning. Must it always be someone's fault?

Comment

Originally posted by jkpescador
            [...]Mahalo to the Anna Miller's staff for letting us take over their rest room facilities.[...]
            Yay for Anna Miller's! The bus driver, too! When I finally got my car pulled to the side of the road it stopped right at a bus stop. The buses had to load and unload from the lane of traffic. And, no one swore at me!

I soooo hoped I wouldn't feel the need for a restroom during the ordeal. There was nowhere to 'go', no bushes to hide behind; no businesses open. Once we got the car to the mechanic's and were in the tow truck heading to my office, only then did I say to my daughter, "I need to pee."! Her remark surprised me..."Oh, I didn't think of that."!!! Thank goodness we come from a family with strong bladder genes! For many people, however, I'm sure the use of a bathroom was paramount on their minds. The guys definitely had it easier than the gals last night! And heaven help any of those whose extra dose of dietary fiber kicked in during the drive!

Staci and I were talking at breakfast about how much fun it woulda been to have had some computer paper and fat sharpies in the car. We coulda made signs, based on a marathon theme, stating silly things such as, "2.5 miles and 5 hours to the airport. You can do it!" Or...'Hit the wall yet?"! Then just stand in front of my broken down car flashing humorous signs of (dis)(en)couragement at all the drivers! Ah, hindsight!

Comment

You're WRONG, Manoa...I was keeping my eye out for the warning light AND the gauge. The placement of them on the dash makes it very easy to continuously check while driving or, in this case, creeping. The warning light never came on and the gauge's needle never got above what is normal for that car during stop and go driving and certainly didn't come close to the 'red zone'. Had that happened I would've pulled over immediately. I've been driving for 46 years. I am familiar with this sort of thing, regardless of what you think.

Ummm...see above.

Yup, I saw some of them.

And as far as being impotent for watching $60.00 PPV games... I guess my son's a figment of my imagination (Heck had I had the time and money I probably would have flown to Alabama!)
              Last I heard, flying doesn't make a guy impotent unless he's sitting in a middle seat on the left hand side in coach...with his foot in his mouth. Good thing the same doesn't hold true for sitting at a computer typing idiotic replies.

Comment

Well this was certainly a bummer situation.

I would be more than interested to see how your claim goes.
                I didn't think you had it in you to pursue something like this...
                but good luck.

Let us know how your claim goes.

Comment

Anyone know if they are closing the freeway going Westbound in the afternoon?
                  just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

I didn't think you had it in you to pursue something like this...
                    Shut up, Manoa! (Channeling Aunty Lynn, there.) Geez, man. You of all people have demonstrated the least familiarity and understanding of others here. I told you to drop it several posts back, and yet you continue to dig your little hole.
                    Originally posted by jkpescador
                    Anyone know if they are closing the freeway going Westbound in the afternoon?
                    Yes, topic. Um... I doubt it, and certainly hope not. I think the bigger worry is the structural integrity of the makai half of the bridge that's still standing (which would affect eastbound morning traffic more).

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                      Really? You might get a different perspective if you polled those who were actually stuck in all of that neverending infernal quagmire last night.
                      Ya know what, Lurkah? I'm sure there were a lot of angry people last night. But, from my perch on Nimitz for over 3 hours, what I saw was cooperation, humor and a go with the flow attitude. I experienced the same thing during Hurricane Iniki.

My guess is that many people will feel angry emotions surface today; maybe even vent them on various online forums. That kind of venting is good. It beats road rage. But last night was just about getting from point A to point B knowing that the circumstances were totally out of everyone's control. We were all in the same boat.

Comment

[...]I didn't think you had it in you to pursue something like this...[...]
                        And EXACTLY what do you base that on?

Comment

Hey Tutusue...you may have recourse by talking to your mechanic that did the last servicing on your cooling system. Perhaps he didn't do the job correctly or maybe the parts he put in were inferior and are warranted.

A properly running cooling system should have prevented a blow out such as yours from happening. Because it was recently worked on you may have recourse thru your mechanic. I'd start there.

Regarding the traffic snafu itself...that's why I moved away from Oahu and all I had to complain about was the guy going 40-MPH on the Queen Kaahumanu Highway in Waikaloa this past Labor Day weekend.

And I got to meet Konaguy himself, Aaron at Kmart in Kona on Monday too!

Lucky I live Big Island on the East side
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
                            Imagine the nightmare and expense of building the Ewa Bridge/Tunnel. We really need another road from town, but how many would jump up and down screaming NO, NO, NO !!!
                            I would say very few, timkona. Our government DOES support (or so they claim in a Voter Viewpoint “Traffic Issues” segment on Ōlelo Channel 49) toll roads in some form. I think there was a proposal to build one right over Nimitz - which would have helped people stuck in town to get out much quicker by providing an alternate route. The Hawaii Automobiles Association as well as the Oahu Metropolitan Planning Organization (OMPO), and the UH civil engineering community also support it.
                            Last edited by TuNnL; September 6, 2006, 12:41 PM.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                            USA TODAY, page 2A
                            11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                              Hey Tutusue...you may have recourse by talking to your mechanic that did the last servicing on your cooling system. Perhaps he didn't do the job correctly or maybe the parts he put in were inferior and are warranted.

A properly running cooling system should have prevented a blow out such as yours from happening. Because it was recently worked on you may have recourse thru your mechanic. I'd start there.[...]
                              Thanks, Craig. The car is already there...as of 10:30 last night! And, my mechanic is terribly honest so I feel safe in saying he will make good on anything that might've slipped thru the cracks last week.

My daughter and I came up with a list of 'positives' for this negative 'adventure'!!!
                              1. It happened in the cool of the night rather than the heat of the day...
                              2. The radiator blew in the far right lane...
                              3. Even tho' the steering and brakes were rendered useless, I was still able to get the car off to the side altho' we were headed straight for a light pole. The car stopped on it's own 2' from the pole...
                              4. I decided to make the U turn on King St. when I did...
                              5. We got to witness so many random acts of kindness...
                              6. I got to watch how my daughter handles herself in this type of a stressful situation. I overheard her tell the American Airlines res. agent that she wasn't going to leave me alone in the car so wouldn't be calling a cab (not that a cab would've solved anything at that point!). I was very proud of her...
                              7. I got to spend an additional, unexpected 12 hours with her...
                              8. My mechanic answers his cell phone at night...
                              9. Neither of us needed to use a restroom during that lengthy time...
                              10. The previously mentioned guys who had their windows down and were singing as loud as they could for everyone in traffic...
                              11. Our tow truck driver...
                              12. The 'deal' my mechanic has with a rental car company and said company will pick me up at the office...
                              13. Manoa wasn't on the road...

But, by far, the biggest 'positive' from the list above is # 7.
                              Last edited by tutusue; September 6, 2006, 12:58 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Manoa...I don't and won't respond to your PMs. If you have something to say to me, say it in public.

Comment

Working...
                                X