Crane crunches Aiea pedestrian overpass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Crane crunches Aiea pedestrian overpass

Oh yeah. Soooooo. There's this overpass. Then the crane wen go smash em. Boom!

Comment

Originally posted by i-hungry
      Oh yeah. Soooooo. There's this overpass. Then the crane wen go smash em. Boom!

Crane? What crane?!

Speaking of that fateful night and the wonderful AAA tow truck driver who took my daughter and I under his wing...I sent AAA an email asking them to give him a raise! Of course, he didn't get that, but he did get a $25. gift card via their "Compliment Program". Nice to know there is such a program. And even nicer to learn that he benefitted beyond a verbal compliment.

Comment

Wow...first crane, then population, then Kamehamena using Haoles to unite Hawaii, then PJ being a fish...so lets see:

Dis crane when whack one overpass den Kamehameha told one Haole, "Eh braddah we go use your guns and run the Oahu Warriors off da Pali. Den Oahu population wen drop (cuz dey wen all make ova da cliffs) And den for some reason plenty of babies was born and left da Aina but wen come back at 15 to get da drivers license and wen make one mess up wen da crane wen bus up da overpass because da driver wen turn into one fish (Eh fish no can drive truck...need CDL eh?)

Moral: If Kamehameha never used Cook to win the battle of Oahu, the Big Island would have been the gathering isle and Oahu wouldn't have had any traffic problems and Palolo Joe wouldn't be a fish. See what a wonderful world it could have been?
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Man...Ryan ought to close this thread just because of that creative post from cw. In improv theatre, we call that a "blackout," meaning "that's as good as it can get - end the sketch on a high note."

Comment

I say keep the thread around until we find out the fate of the bridge and the Army personnel responsible. We can look at these last few posts as “pre-press conference lobby chatter.”

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
            USA TODAY, page 2A
            11 March 1993

Comment

Has anyone done in-depth reporting on other freeway overpass locations around Oahu?

I find myself looking upward a lot more when I'm driving on the H-1 these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
                Has anyone done in-depth reporting on other freeway overpass locations around Oahu?

I find myself looking upward a lot more when I'm driving on the H-1 these days.

That's the beauty of the Big Island...you never have to look up unless you want to see snow on Mauna Kea.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
                  Has anyone done in-depth reporting on other freeway overpass locations around Oahu? I find myself looking upward a lot more when I'm driving on the H-1 these days.
                  The only piece that comes to mind is the KHON story I mentioned a few pages back, noting the more infamous low bridges (like Gulick Avenue). Apparently there's a straightforward list of all bridges and overhangs that could easily be sorted by height to find other likely trouble spots, but if it's online anywhere, I haven't seen it. I share Ian Lind's disdain over the lack of usefulness of the DOT website...

KHON tonight referenced an apparently infamous accident in Hays, Kansas, where a backhoe hit a bridge, and actually made it partway through the concrete. Very impressive. And not something I'd want repeated out here!

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                    That's the beauty of the Big Island...you never have to look up unless you want to see snow on Mauna Kea.

I always look up and sideways whenever I do the three big horseshoe turns along the Hamakua Coast on the Big Island. These and a few other places along Route 19 between Hilo and Honokaa where the cliffside could suddenly come down upon you.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I don't know if this has already been posted, but I was reading snopes.com, and came upon this: an excavator that crashed into a highway overpass.

That reminded me of what happened here, so I thought I'd share.
                      How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
                        I don't know if this has already been posted...
                        C'mon, Adrian, you're a seasoned forum user. This was posted exactly one message up!

Comment

KHNL is reporting that work is now being done to repair this overpass.

Comment

Actually, I believe everyone is reporting that. I pity those who work the night shift in town. Try not to get hit by any falling debris on the way home!

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                            USA TODAY, page 2A
                            11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
                            X