Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commute times - town to Ewa Beach?

Hi all,
    I am wondering who knows about the commute from town to Ewa Beach? I know commute time from Ewa into town can be quite long, but I think I will be facing most of the traffic if I'm headed west in the mornings, east in the afternoons (around 3pm)... any thoughts on this? I am likely going to be working in Ewa but would love to still reside in town...

My friends tell me if I'm working in Ewa, I'd better live there, or nearby, but I think (hope) it's still possible to live in town.

Also, would it make a significant difference in the commute if I live in West Honolulu (i.e., Pauoa or Makiki perhaps), or would it not make that much difference? I am considering the Manoa or Kahala areas but am worried this will add a lot of time to my commute..

Thank you for your advice-- anything you can tell me will be helpful.

Amy

Commute times - town to Ewa Beach?

Hi all,
    I am wondering who knows about the commute from town to Ewa Beach? I know commute time from Ewa into town can be quite long, but I think I will be facing most of the traffic if I'm headed west in the mornings, east in the afternoons (around 3pm)... any thoughts on this? I am likely going to be working in Ewa but would love to still reside in town...

My friends tell me if I'm working in Ewa, I'd better live there, or nearby, but I think (hope) it's still possible to live in town.

Also, would it make a significant difference in the commute if I live in West Honolulu (i.e., Pauoa or Makiki perhaps), or would it not make that much difference? I am considering the Manoa or Kahala areas but am worried this will add a lot of time to my commute..

Thank you for your advice-- anything you can tell me will be helpful.

Amy

Comment

Re: Advice, please-- questions on commuting

Why did you double post?

If you going work in Ewa ~ live near Ewa!

Really, living way out in Kahala going cost you time, money and whateva's.

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Re: Any info is helpful-- wondering about commute times

My apologies for the double post... I posted this on Islands Ahoy before realizing there's a whole section on transportation.

Comment

Originally posted by iHeartHawaii View Post
          My apologies for the double post... I posted this on Islands Ahoy before realizing there's a whole section on transportation.
          Das ok den. I made many mistakes when I was new!

Auntie Lynn
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

If your commute is the opposite of the main flow of traffic it will be much easier. I happened to be going from Ewa to Kalihi yesterday around 5pm and it took me less than 20 minutes. Depending upon where you live, the morning commute would 'shake loose' around Middle Street and it would be minimal traffic from there to Ewa.

Comment

Originally posted by iHeartHawaii View Post
              Also, would it make a significant difference in the commute if I live in West Honolulu (i.e., Pauoa or Makiki perhaps), or would it not make that much difference?
              Heh. Pauoa and Makiki are not West Honolulu... unless you never venture past Nuʻuanu Stream. For some people, that might indeed be true.

Exactly how far "West Honolulu" goes depends on how you define "Honolulu". Urban core? I'd say Kalihi. ZIP code boundaries? That would be Salt Lake / Moanalua Valley. Hell, if you count the suburbs, then Honolulu might go all the way to Kapolei / Makakilo.

Comment

Re: Commute times - town to Ewa Beach?

Hi again-- I've been looking at rentals all over Oahu, finding rent more reasonable outside Honolulu. Kailua, for instance, has many affordable rentals, as does Kaneohe, parts of North Shore, Wahiawa (not sure if that's considered North Shore), etc.

My question is, what are people's experiences traveling from these other parts of the island into town for work? I've heard the Pali can be pretty hectic; what about Likelike Hwy? I ask because it would be great to live in an outlying, more peaceful area and travel into the city for work... but not sure if this would be more of a headache than it's worth. Your thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                X