Robbed again at Restaurant Row

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robbed again at Restaurant Row

This is getting to be a dangerous place to work. For the third time this year, my car was broken into and robbed. This time they popped the hood and cut out the battery. It wouldn't be so bad except that the thief cut the postitive/negative cables.
    A car battery? What the hell? I asked the cops when they showed up if there was a run on car batteries and they just shook their heads. One of the cops was a real dick. He said it was my own fault for parking in a known high-crime area -- the Restaurant Row parking lot? -- and when I said I didn't have a choice as I work there, he threatened to ticket me. I'm still not sure what for. It was clear he was annoyed at being called in on such a minor crime. Sorry, pal.
    The Restaurant Row security guards said there are portions of the parking lot that simply aren't covered by security cameras and aren't patrolled by guards. Since they charge nearly $200 a month to park there, you'd think there'd be at least minimal security. No. It's a "known high-crime area."
    Oh, this was in broad daylight.
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

Re: Robbed again at Restaurant Row

That stinks......the battery is one thing but to have cut cables is another. Hopefully you got insurance to cover it? If not, I suggest getting a Kirkland brand battery, much cheaper but made by the same makers of Sears Diehard brand.

Comment

Here at the Hilo Home Depot, one of our sales associates had the brake pads from her 1984 Honda Prelude stolen! The guy jacked up the car, took off the wheel, removed the calipers, then took off the brake pads (used and worn) and then put two lug nuts back on the remounted tire. All this at 7am on a Saturday morning!

Now that's insane, not to mention a harrowing drive home when the caliper fell off while the car was being driven.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
        That stinks......the battery is one thing but to have cut cables is another. Hopefully you got insurance to cover it? If not, I suggest getting a Kirkland brand battery, much cheaper but made by the same makers of Sears Diehard brand.
        Now if he had AIG the claims office is right there at Restaurant Row.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

man, that does suck and i can't believe the attitude of the cop. i had no idea restaurant row's parking was like that. do you know if any floors (e.g., higher floors) are any riskier or maybe it doesn't matter? once in a while, i take advantage of those dollar movies but if parking there is that risky, it's hardly worth it...
          525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Buzz1941, I'm sorry that it happened to you. I'm much more angry at the way the Officer treated you. It was uncalled for. I believe it is in District I's jurisdiction. Major Macadangdang is in charge. He's very professional and expects his officers to act and perform their duties the same....to protect everyone. You were a victim not a suspect. Please submit a report to him directly or to the Police Commission. They need to know.

Auntie Lynn
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Maybe the cop's a prick because get choke speeders/DUIs/other crap that they have to deal with.
              How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

The other cop who was there was fine, a good guy.
                The building security guys said a big portion of the parking lot simply isn't surveilled by camera or patrols, and obviously the robbers know where to hit.
                Yeah, if they'd just taken the battery I'd shrug it off. (My insurance deductible is too high to cover this, alas.) Cutting the cables is what pissed me off.
                I think I can kickstart it this morning and get it to Sears or someplace ...
                Burl Burlingame
                honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Oh man, that sucks big time. Do you have an alarm on your car, Burl?

Comment

Just a thought, maybe you should bargain with them for a lower parking rate considering the area you park doesn't have security. Afterall, you are buying a product, why does someone pay the same as you and get to park in an area with security? Unless, they pay even higher than $200 a month?

Comment

It's an old Jeep Wrangler with a rag top. I don't lock it because then they simply slash the fabric or bend the door frames out to get in. Which they did one time even though it wasn't locked! I just don't leave anything in it worth stealing. Or so I thought. A battery?

The Dick Cop we've been calling Officer Powderpuff, because his real name sounds like that. My wife noticed that he was riding shotgun with the other officer, and you don't often see two Honolulu cops together in a squad car. Maybe he's a rookie.

One of our sports guys has been hit six times this year, the last time they took the whole car. One time they just took one headlight.
                      Burl Burlingame
                      honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

That sucks. Can you get your work to do anything about it, on your behalf? Its on the ticket that the parking lot isnt responsible for anything that happens to your car, sucks yeah?
                        I'd ask why certain areas are not patrolled? Do they have bikes or anything? I'm thinking of the Dole Theatres parking lot, at least a guard rides around on a bike looking for anything suspicious.
                        Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

After working here for some years, it seems that Restaurant Row is poorly and greedily managed.
                          Burl Burlingame
                          honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

While I was home this spring (during the "40-days & 40-nights" of rain), just to kill time, I'd park and go to the movies there. Didn't think anything would happen to my brother's car during its two-hour stay in the lot . . . hmmmm, may have to rethink that.

Inconsiderate cops at anytime would be hard to put up with; after seeing the damage to one's car, it's even more difficult.
                            Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

i parked there just this morning but i had your post in mind so i had it in my mind not to park it there if i couldn't find a parking on the ground floor as close to the parking attendants as possible. i was lucky and found a spot this time but thanks for the tip. i had no idea that the parking area was such a target and will avoid that area whenever possible...
                              525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Working...
                              X