This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 4

A friend won a round trip on the Superferry after it starts service in July. Part of a KHVH / Clear Channel / Hawaii Superferry promotion.... she will be able to take herself and 3 family members as well as her vehicle on a roundtrip via Superferry to any of the 2 neighbor islands it serves. She is tickled pink!

Another person I know who likes to go hunting and camping can't wait for Superferry to start service so that he can take his vehicle and supplies out into the bush on either Kauai or Maui, and later on to the Big Island. Residents, visitors and businesses will find many uses for the Superferry in ways not conveniently available via Young Brothers or the local airlines.

It's a good alternative that presents the public with a different option for interisland travel. I hope they succeed in the marketplace.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
      A friend won a round trip on the Superferry after it starts service in July. Part of a KHVH / Clear Channel / Hawaii Superferry promotion.... she will be able to take herself and 3 family members as well as her vehicle on a roundtrip via Superferry to any of the 2 neighbor islands it serves. She is tickled pink!

Another person I know who likes to go hunting and camping can't wait for Superferry to start service so that he can take his vehicle and supplies out into the bush on either Kauai or Maui, and later on to the Big Island. Residents, visitors and businesses will find many uses for the Superferry in ways not conveniently available via Young Brothers or the local airlines.

It's a good alternative that presents the public with a different option for interisland travel. I hope they succeed in the marketplace.
      I took care of a patient the other day who lives on Kauai. Born and raised there. I was talking with his family and the subject of the difficulty of having a loved one in a hospital on Oahu was discussed.

They are anticipating the arrival of the Superferry with great delight. They have relatives here and have a place to stay but would love to be able to bring their own car over. There was the mention of "bad stuff coming over from Oahu" but that was a brief mention. The good, as I understood it from the conversation, certainly seemed to outweigh the bad.

This is the kind of stuff I hear all the time. Honestly, the only vehement negative I have heard was from one patient from Kauai who declared that she would never use it. Why? "Because I am afraid of boats and the ocean."

Comment

Two SuperFerry articles today.

First, in today's Los Angeles Times there was a somewhat interesting article on the SuperFerry. Nothing in there that we haven't seen in countless other articles, but the paragraph that caught my eye was:

"We anticipate that the ferry will be costly, slow, bumpy and not much use to our customers," said David A. Banmiller, president and chief executive of Aloha Airlines. Flights between Honolulu and Maui or Kauai take less than 30 minutes, excluding airport and security line waiting time."

That, of course, is exactly what you'd expect the President/CEO of Aloha Airlines to say. But he says his airline takes 30 minutes while the SuperFerry would take three hours. Guess he forgot to add in the part about his airline (and all others) telling passengers to arrive at the airports two to three hours ahead of time. Then add in another half-hour wait for baggage at the arrival points, and it's about identical with the time for SuperFerry, including any SF pre-departure time.
        He also says it will be "bumpy". Yeah, like airplanes never have bumpy rides. [/sarcasm] And a bumpy plane ride is typically a helluva lot scarier than a boat ride.
        Then the audacity of him to say the SuperFerry would be "not much use to our customers"! Sheesh.
        Methinks he doth protest too much. And too lamely.

And I liked these comments in Ray Pendleton's "Waterways" column about the SuperFerry in today's Star-Bulletin:

"And, there would be at least one major plus. For about three hours aboard this 350-foot vessel, travelers would be able to enjoy the magnificent seascapes of Hawaii that cruise ship passengers pay thousands of dollars to see."

A good point, though relatively insignificant compared to other benefits, such as this major one:

"Another factor I hadn't considered until last October's earthquake is how the Superferry's capabilities could be an asset to our state in times of large-scale emergencies.
        "If our counties adopted a system similar to the mutual aid agreements used by most mainland communities, emergency responders and their equipment -- from fire engines to bulldozers -- would be able to move from island to island within hours.
        "Such resource mobility would give emergency planners statewide a whole new set of tools to work with, as well as new strategies and tactics to develop and use."

Amen to that! Rarely mentioned, but an absolute benefit to the entire state.
        And he points out yet another benefit:

"Plus, think how it would simplify the logistics for statewide team sports or canoe regattas. The participants would be able to board school buses or vehicles towing six-man canoe trailers and travel together."

Right on, Ray. I wonder what the anti-SF'ers have to say about those points.
        And lastly, Ray notes what so very many others have noted:

"I would think the only ones who may be somewhat uncomfortable with the Superferry's fare scale and services are the competition: airlines, tug-and-barge services, and perhaps, car rental agencies."

That's been pointed out a lot, of course. And it was pretty obvious in the comment way above, from Aloha Airline's president.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
          "Another factor I hadn't considered until last October's earthquake is how the Superferry's capabilities could be an asset to our state in times of large-scale emergencies.
          "If our counties adopted a system similar to the mutual aid agreements used by most mainland communities, emergency responders and their equipment -- from fire engines to bulldozers -- would be able to move from island to island within hours.
          "Such resource mobility would give emergency planners statewide a whole new set of tools to work with, as well as new strategies and tactics to develop and use."
          That's a very good point overlooked. While there are certainly ships capable of providing shipping logistics like YB's newest RoRo barge or Pasha Hawaii's MV Jean Anne RoRo, the speed of the HSF can bring equipment to an island in hours vs days. I've seen So Cal fire fighters drive up to Nor Cal to assist in huge fires and vice versa. It definitely would be a logistical asset.

Comment

Bob Jones' column at this link in this week's MidWeek included these excerpts:

"So you think the Hawaii Superferry should have a full environmental impact study on the effect of disgorging passengers and vehicles at harbors, plus potentially transporting species inter-island and bumping whales?
            "That’s OK ... so long as you also think we need a retro study of the same effects from Young Brothers, Hawaiian Tug and Barge, the inter-island and Mainland air carriers, Matson and Norwegian Cruise Lines.
            "I mean, there’s real impact! Shouldn’t we be steam-washing every car off the freighters and barges and sole-scrubbing the shoes of each passenger/crew member alighting from a plane or ship?
            "Shouldn’t we worry about all those air travelers impacting our roads as they depart terminals in their rental cars?"

(...)
            "Makes me wonder who got to state Sens. English, Hooser, Kokubun and Tsutsui."

He's joined a lot of other folks who've been wondering the same things.

Comment

Looks like SF has the go ahead for July launch.

http://honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/p...WS09/703290349

Comment

Yeeehaaaa! I going make Leimomi all pretty and ready for the ride!

Congrats SF!

Auntie Lynn
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                  Looks like SF has the go ahead for July launch.
                  Hooray! Finally, sensible people made a sensible decision.

Comment

• Super loathing and humiliation --Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 4

"An incredibly small half of one percent of the total adult population of the state of Hawaii spoke out against the SuperFerry."

What is half of one percent of the total adult population of the state of Hawaii ? Half of the total population would be about 50,000 people; half of that about 25,000.

As one of those adults who 'spoke out against the SuperFerry', I was speaking on behalf of just my most immediate ohana of more than 10 adults and more than 20 children who all oppose the proposed super-hydrofoil interisland operations of U.S. East Coast investors in Hawaiian waters.

Many hundreds of others who did 'speak out' signed petitions opposing the proposed ferry operations. There is no doubt a large majority of the state's residents oppose the interisland hydrofoil ferry operations proposal.

What fraction of one percent of the state's adult population spoke out in favor of such ferry operations or signed petitions in favor of such a proposal? One hundreth of one percent or less I am certain...and if only neighbor island citizens were considered the percentage who would speak out in favor of the ferry proposal would be less than 1000th of one percent.

The Hawaii Superferry, Inc. is just another scheme on the long list of crappy ideas put forth by US East Coast investors to impose their will upon Hawai'i. It's chances of long-term success without continuing Hawaii state taxpayers' subsidization is nihl. May the ferry fly and float itself into its well-deserved humiliation and loathing !
                    Last edited by waioli kai; March 29, 2007, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Saw a very interesting call in panel discussion on Akaku last week. Featured were Terry O'Halloran, Barry Fukunaga, the retired MCC professor and I think the Sierra Club president (I tuned in late).

The usual stuff came out (and all the callers--from Maui-- were against HSF, BTW), but what was interesting is O'Halloran again declared that he believed that a general EIS for Kahului Harbor was definitely needed (which is what I have said all along). And this is the EIS that will be published in June or July. If mitigation by any of the harbor's users is required at that time, then it would be up to the DOT to ensure that that mitigation occurred. O'Halloran also said he estimated there would only be around 110 cars per load and not the 250 that HSF is rated to carry.

Driving around that part of Kahului was "interesting". YB's baseyard has definitely been changed. No longer are there grassy areas on the harbor side of Hana Hwy; it's now all fenced in and being used by YB. There will be zip parking available for parking private cars near the harbor because the feeder road (Ala Luina) has been closed off to the public. It'll be interesting to see where they will allow cruise ship passengers to park their rentals and where HSF foot passengers will be able to have ohana meet to pick them up or to park their cars if they don't take their cars with them to Honolulu.

The most logical place, the parking lots at Maui Mall, are, surprisingly to me, filled most of the time now. Kahului Mall (the first shopping center on Maui and a block away from Maui Mall) is being redeveloped with condos (I think something like 400-500 condos), plus a park, so there's no room there, either. There's housing being built on the next block for the Community College and the parking lots at Kaahumanu Center are also filled the majority of the time.

There are some buildings in the immediate vicinity (like the BoH building and the old Kahului Store) that are historic landmarks, so I don't think they can be razed and used for parking. Hoaloha Park (where the Maui Canoe Club has its clubhouse) might have to go next, but would the county give up this beach?

Saw the Kaholo (the ro-ro car barge) when it made its maiden voyage to Maui. That sucker took up the entire length of Pier 2! And from what I understand, all the new replacement barges that YB will be bringing in over the next few years will be the same length as the Kaholo so YB can carry more goods with the same number of trips.

At least the eco-friendly carwash at the corner of Hobron is now open and ready for business.

All I can say is, it's good to know local "short cuts" to avoid having to be in the general mess on the roads that are now in the area around Kahului Harbor!

Miulang
                      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

• Re: Super loathing and humiliation --Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 4

Originally posted by waioli kai View Post
                        The Hawaii Superferry, Inc. is just another scheme on the long list of crappy ideas put forth by US East Coast investors to impose their will upon Hawai'i. It's chances of long-term success without continuing Hawaii state taxpayers' subsidization is nihl. May the ferry fly and float itself into its well-deserved humiliation and loathing !
                        So if SF was a venture by local Hawaiian investors, you would embrace it?

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                          So if SF was a venture by local Hawaiian investors, you would embrace it?
                          An EIS would still be necessary for Kahului Harbor, but there would probably be way less opposition from the locals on Maui if it was a locally based company.

Unfortunately, unless one of the "Big 5", which all ironically do have Mainland pedigrees, wanted to get into the business, there'd be no locally based companies and very few investors (like Steve Case) with enough capital or connections to pull off something this costly. If Matson wanted to get back into the passenger transportation business (which I'm sure they don't), that would be more palatable to local people because Matson is regarded as a kama'aina firm. ML&P does have a minority stake in HSF, though.

Miulang
                          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by waioli kai View Post
                            "An incredibly small half of one percent of the total adult population of the state of Hawaii spoke out against the SuperFerry."
                            What is half of one percent of the total adult population of the state of Hawaii ? Half of the total population would be about 50,000 people; half of that about 25,000.
                            Excuse me, but... WHAT?!?? Where do you get a population of only "50,000"? The last census showed a population of 1,300,000, which is a helluva long way from your "50,000" guess.
                            The census went on to say that of that 1,300,000, a little over 1,000,000 are adults. Please re-read my earlier post in this thread that itemized the numbers and gave my sources.
                            Your math doesn't compute at all. Please explain.

"As one of those adults who 'spoke out against the SuperFerry', I was speaking on behalf of just my most immediate ohana of more than 10 adults and more than 20 children who all oppose the proposed super-hydrofoil interisland operations of U.S. East Coast investors in Hawaiian waters.
                            Aha, so now it's a racial issue, is it?
                            And are you saying that the SuperFerry would be fine with you if it was owned by, say, Bumpy Kalahele or the Trask sisters?

Many hundreds of others who did 'speak out' signed petitions opposing the proposed ferry operations.
                            Again, DO THE MATH. Your "many hundreds" is what percentage of one MILLION?

There is no doubt a large majority of the state's residents oppose the interisland hydrofoil ferry operations proposal.
                            Oh, there's plenty of doubt. Go back through this thread and you'll see that wild speculation and guesses carry absolutely no weight.

What fraction of one percent of the state's adult population spoke out in favor of such ferry operations or signed petitions in favor of such a proposal? One hundreth of one percent or less I am certain.
                            Again, that's a wild and totally incorrect guess. Please cite your sources.

The Hawaii Superferry, Inc. is just another scheme on the long list of crappy ideas put forth by US East Coast investors to impose their will upon Hawai'i.
                            Racism is a pathetic and pitiful thing.

It's chances of long-term success without continuing Hawaii state taxpayers' subsidization is nihl. May the ferry fly and float itself into its well-deserved humiliation and loathing !
                            Apparently you work for Young Brothers.

PS: To Miulang -- I hope your 'family crisis' turned out okay.

Comment

Like it or not it`s coming to Town, Just one more traffic headache gotta deal with. No sense lose sleep over it, it`s a done deal..........
                              GET READY KAHULUI.....
                              No wonder we get the highest gas prices in the nation.
                              bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                                An EIS would still be necessary for Kahului Harbor, but there would probably be way less opposition from the locals on Maui if it was a locally based company.

Unfortunately, unless one of the "Big 5", which all ironically do have Mainland pedigrees, wanted to get into the business, there'd be no locally based companies and very few investors (like Steve Case) with enough capital or connections to pull off something this costly. If Matson wanted to get back into the passenger transportation business (which I'm sure they don't), that would be more palatable to local people because Matson is regarded as a kama'aina firm. ML&P does have a minority stake in HSF, though.

Miulang
                                I agree with you an EIS is needed. I always objected to a specific EIS directed at SF because all the other harbor operators, ie. NCL, YB, Matson, never had to deal with it. That latter option would be very biased in my opinion. So even though SF has gotten a July go ahead, I would like to see the 2030 EIS continue on and whatever the findings, be applied across the entire spectrum of harbor users.

I asked that question and am curious to what waioli kai's answer may be. If indeed, the answer is less opposition if it's local investors, that just reaffirms Forbes' annual condemnation that Hawaii is a crappy place to do business. In today's world, what is the difference if the investor is from the East Coast or the West Coast or Hawaii or Antarctica? If the business is legit, serves a need, and does not rely on subsidies, why does it bother some people that the profit goes into the pocket of an investor that may not be from Hawaii? No one stopped a local from starting up SF. Like you said, the irony is that the Big 5 are really mainland transplants that have been here long enough for people to not think about it. So if SF stays in business for 100 years, will they be treated like Matson?

And like LikaNui said, welcome back.

Comment

Working...
                                X