• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• craigwatanabe
    replied
    Re: dealership maintenance

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
    That's weak, BMW's got one of the easiest filters to change because it's on the top side of the engine bay. May be a little messier because you do have to grab the oil-soaked filter out of the canister but so much easier that trying to twist a can off under the engine. But I've always used sandwich bags to grab and seal up the dirty, old filter.

Also, watch out for places that advertise oil changes for a low price. Ask them if they include a filter change because some literally mean just an oil change.
    On my 635Csi it's so cramped that you first have to position the cartridge from underneath then from on top hold the cartridge and screw in the bolt. My 535i and my 735i had more room to be able to do the change without crawling under (except to drain the pan).

But Goodyear insisted that the price included a new cartridge element and I watched them put in a new one.

Leave a comment:

• joshuatree
    replied

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    Some of these "Scheduled Maintenance" costs can get wayyy up there. I'd suggest you shop around. You can get that stamp at many other reputable repair shops so it's good that you're looking around.

As for Jiffy Lube, I've heard too many horror stories and have been party to one of them enough to tell me to stay away from that place.

A few months ago I took my BMW to Goodyear here in Hilo because they were offering oil changes for $14. So I took my BMW down there and an hour later I came back from downing several cups of Starmucks coffee only to find out that the guy changing my oil couldn't find the oil filter.

On BMW's the oil filter is actually a cartridge that mounts inside a steel can and held together with a bolt. I asked him at the beginning if he'd ever change the oil on a BMW like mine and he indicated he did so whatever he's the expert and I figured he knew better.
    That's weak, BMW's got one of the easiest filters to change because it's on the top side of the engine bay. May be a little messier because you do have to grab the oil-soaked filter out of the canister but so much easier that trying to twist a can off under the engine. But I've always used sandwich bags to grab and seal up the dirty, old filter.

Also, watch out for places that advertise oil changes for a low price. Ask them if they include a filter change because some literally mean just an oil change.

Leave a comment:

• craigwatanabe
    replied

Some of these "Scheduled Maintenance" costs can get wayyy up there. I'd suggest you shop around. You can get that stamp at many other reputable repair shops so it's good that you're looking around.

As for Jiffy Lube, I've heard too many horror stories and have been party to one of them enough to tell me to stay away from that place.

A few months ago I took my BMW to Goodyear here in Hilo because they were offering oil changes for $14. So I took my BMW down there and an hour later I came back from downing several cups of Starmucks coffee only to find out that the guy changing my oil couldn't find the oil filter.

On BMW's the oil filter is actually a cartridge that mounts inside a steel can and held together with a bolt. I asked him at the beginning if he'd ever change the oil on a BMW like mine and he indicated he did so whatever he's the expert and I figured he knew better.

Leave a comment:

• AbsolutChaos
    replied

Originally posted by D'Alani View Post
    Go to someplace like Jiffy Lube and have them stamp and initial your maintenance book to show that you changed your oil, checked your filter etc. at the required mileage...3,000, 6,000, etc.. That way you can have proof that you maintained your car for warranty purposes.
    I actually pay less at the dealership for the oil change than what Jiffy Lube charges! Plus my dealer has a little card so every 6th oild change is free.

Leave a comment:

• GeckoGeek
    replied

So your choice is either to overpay or to risk being taken by some low-price place?

I say buy the oil and filter and do it yourself. Keep the receipt and logs to show the work was done.

Leave a comment:

• adrian
    replied

Originally posted by D'Alani View Post
    Jiffy Lube
    You're kidding right?

A mainland TV station did a report showing how they'd marked a car's oil filter to see if they actually did any work on the car, and it wasn't moved. I'm still recovering from that story and now am worried about other places.

I wonder if there's places here that does that?

Leave a comment:

• D'Alani
    replied

Go to someplace like Jiffy Lube and have them stamp and initial your maintenance book to show that you changed your oil, checked your filter etc. at the required mileage...3,000, 6,000, etc.. That way you can have proof that you maintained your car for warranty purposes.

Leave a comment:

• Kahalu'u Kid
    replied

BTW, I just bought a new catalytic converter for our Nissan. Dealership quote was $900 just for the part which would have to be ordered. I ended up paying $100 for OEM part on E-bay, shipped next day air for $25. $90 labor for installation. Total savings=$700 Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• Kahalu'u Kid
    replied

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
    I bought my Mazda from Waipahu Auto (which is a Toyota/Chevy/Suzuki dealer) and they said I should bring in the car in April to do an oil change. After that oil change, who should I bring my car to for maintenance? Waipahu Auto or Cutter Mazda?
    Neither! At dealerships you'll pay much, much more for the same job done at a shop. Same goes for oil changes, unless they're giving you a discount or a coupon (which they sometimes do after you buy one of their cars.) My advice is to find an honest, reputable shop, and let them work on your car. Dealerships will rip you off, big time.

Leave a comment:

• joshuatree
    replied

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
    I bought my Mazda from Waipahu Auto (which is a Toyota/Chevy/Suzuki dealer) and they said I should bring in the car in April to do an oil change. After that oil change, who should I bring my car to for maintenance? Waipahu Auto or Cutter Mazda?
    Is it a complimentary oil change? If not, why even bother with a dealer for oil changes, unless they got a great price that can't be beat?

Leave a comment:

• adrian
    started a topic dealership maintenance

dealership maintenance

Working...
X