dealership maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: dealership maintenance

Honestly, you should do them yourself. An oil change is about the easiest maintenance thing you can do on your car. Much easier than washing it, IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by zff View Post
      An oil change is about the easiest maintenance thing you can do on your car.
      These days, with so many computerized systems on newer-models, it's getting to be one of the FEW things you can do yourself, too.

But let me stress again, Adrian - disposal of used oil needs to be done right. You can fill up old anti-freeze bottles and take it to many service stations for disposal, if things haven't changed that much. Letting it seep into the ground or down a storm drain (if you spill it on the driveway and the rain washes it away) is extremely damaging to the environment.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
        These days, with so many computerized systems on newer-models, it's getting to be one of the FEW things you can do yourself, too.

But let me stress again, Adrian - disposal of used oil needs to be done right.
        Lets just say I don't know where to dispose used cooking oil.
        How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
          Lets just say I don't know where to dispose used cooking oil.
          There are cars you can use it in now.

Comment

if you dont do it yourself, the punchbowl jiffy lube is good.
            DO NOT GO TO DILLINGHAM JIFFY LUBE (by kfc), they will rip you off.
            Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
              if you dont do it yourself, the punchbowl jiffy lube is good.
              DO NOT GO TO DILLINGHAM JIFFY LUBE (by kfc), they will rip you off.
              Yes! Yes! I agree! They WILL RIP YOU OFF!!!!

Auntie Lynn
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
                Well, its April, and according to my odometer, its time to change my oil.

The dealership left a message on my cell (but when I tried to check my voicemail, my battery died) so I guess he called to remind me about the oil change.

If this isn't complementary, where should I go?
                Agree with the other posts, an oil change is probably of the easiest maintenance items you can do on your car by yourself. Considering you work at Walmart, you can pretty much pick up all the items you need from there, I pick up most of my items for an oil change from Walmart.

Comment

Doc, go to the auto parts dept. 1st, look up what type of filter your car uses and get it. Now go look for oil, usually a 10-40 is fine and should be 4 quarts for 4 cyl. engines. Now go look for those oil disposal boxes. Costs about $2. Just in case, look for an oil filter wrench that fits your filter.

Find out where your oil filter is. Some cars, you may have to remove the passenger side tire to access the filter. Now find the oil pan. There should be a hexagonal drain plug. Usually a 14mm wrench or socket will get it out. Drain the oil using that oil disposal box, following the instructions printed on the flap. Easy. Once the oil is drained, remove the filter making sure you have lots of old rags on hand to clean up the overflow. Now your car should be empty of the old oil.

Clean the gasket surface where the oil filter goes on the engine block. This removes any hard particles. Get the new filter. Open one of the oil bottles and dab your finger into the oil. Spread this oil onto the rubber gasket on the filter. Install the filter and hand tighten only. I usually use the filter wrench to give the filter a slight nudge tighter. Install the drain plug and tighten. The oil filler is located on the valve cover of the engine. You'll see a cap that probably has "oil" embossed on it somewhere. Remove and pour the 4 quarts of oil into this hole. Toss the bottles into the trash. Close up the oil disposal box and leave it with the trash. They will later separate it out to send to the H-power plant.

Once you get the routine down, it'll take you about 15 minutes to do the job.
                  You might spend about the same as some of the "special offers", but you'll at least know that the job was done right.

Comment

adrian, i'd suggest lex brodie's. i just checked and they have a zero complaint record for the last 36 months with the better business bureau. for the last seven years or so, they've been the ones to do my oil changes, tire brake work, alternator replacement, and my safety checks.

for those of you who care to know, lex brodie hasn't owned the business for at least 15 years. he sold it then to a guy from tennessee named john mayo who, because of some poor decisons including purchasing several arco dealerships on oahu and forcibly evicting the arco dealership owners using burly lex brodie staff and off duty police officers. since then, lex brodie's has changed ownership twice. i was told by one of the people who work there that one of the bennies now is that employees can become company investors, thereby giving more incentive to do quality work.

disclaimer: i worked for a very short time at lex brodie's as their one-woman HR department and assistant to the VP of Operations when Mayo owned it, but left bcs the then VP of OPs was a major jerk. he'd since been fired.

many of the men and women who work there now not only worked there when i was there almost ten years ago, but worked for lex himself. lex set a high standard of customer service and was a tough but inspiring boss. i think it says a lot that almost all of the current branch managers worked under lex. the current general manager (i guess the equivalent of the VP of OPs I used to work for) is someone I worked with, and he's a good, stand-up kinda guy. i tend to believe the people at the very top set the standard for everyone else in the company, ethically and otherwise.

if you have the knowledge or have someone in your family who can do stuff like oil changes, then by all means, do it yourself or have uncle so and so do it for you. however, if you like the convenience of taking your car someplace and having it done, i would say lex is the place to go. the beau is a car geek and he's perfectly capable of doing my aging saturn's oil change (he's gonna do the oil change for his titan this coming weekend) but he sends me to lex brodie's for my oil changes.

i don't think that everytime i go there i get great service only because i'm a former employee and the current managers/supervisors at the Queen Street and Kalihi Street locations still have fond feelings for me (we all loathed the then VP in equal portion for various reasons).

they have a website: lexbrodies.com. i like that since i left, they've committed themselves to some very worthwhile community work.

adrian, feel free to PM me if you'd like me to give you a specific person to ask for. i know that there are longtime customers who build relationships with certain staff at lex brodie's over the years. it's even a generational thing--often, a thirtysomething son will tell his parents to see a certain person or because her parents go to someone there, a twentysomething girl who just bought her first car will go to that same person.
                    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

That's interesting, ericncyn. That's just about the time I bought new tires from the Pearlridge LB. Service and moral was obviously lacking and my neighbor decided to quit LB to start his own towing business. There was also somekind of class action law suit against LB. Something about overcharging on the 2fer sales. We even received a small check supposedly from a settlement.

Good to hear things have improved. I'm in need of a couple of new tires.

Comment

Well, I just came back from the oil change from... Saiki Motors in Waipahu! They've done good service and from what I remembered from basic maintanance books, did everything right (I got there before they were supposed to be finished, but got to see part of the process). They were busy, and that didn't bother me - since I lived a few blocks away.

And they removed the last of the dealer's badging for me! They replaced the change oil sticker with theres (I guess that's what the dealer called about).

Good people them.
                        How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Working...
                        X