Pedestrians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pedestrians

Yes, it does seem like they are being picked off like flies on Hawaii's roads.

But seriously. I have never in my life seen such thoughtless street-crossing by pedestrians. Unbelievable. Not only do many not even look as they step into traffic, they don't even speed up when they see traffic approaching.

A few years back I almost took out a small group of elderly ladies on Liliha Street who had just walked in front of a stopped bus and into traffic. No way could they have seen me---they all had big sun-umbrellas FACING the closest lane of traffic.

Sun spots would have been a joy compared to what could have happened had I been going just a wee bit faster or not paying attention.

I rather resent the present advertising campaign which seems to lay all the blame on the drivers. Sure, some may be careless but there is little that a driver can do when a pedestrian steps right into his path from the curb.

Whenever I hear about yet another pedestrian being struck here I'm reminded of Bette Midler's sister. She was born and raised in Hawaii. She went to NYC to see Bette and was killed by a NYC taxi as she stepped into the street.

Somehow it just doesn't surprise me.

Re: Pedestrians

I'm so with you on this, RN. Just today I was half way into an intersection when a pedestrian stepped off the curb without even a glance in any direction but down. Yes, he was in a crosswalk, but he started his cross after I'd started mine. I slammed on my brakes. He didn't flinch...just kept walking. I just don't get that kind of pedestrian mentality. Maybe he had a death wish and I destroyed it by stopping. Dunno...

Comment

It's amazing. When we lived in Honolulu Tower, there was always this one old lady who would step off the curb, hold up her arm and walk into traffic. I don't get the "I'm stepping in front of cars and I will not react or panic or act like they are even there" level of "coolness" that's going on. I see kids do it, adults do it, seniors do it. I also don't get the ones who run, run, run to get to cross the street and then they put on the brakes and literally crawl across the street, purposely going slower when the light has already given the sitting cars permission to go. I'd prefer they walk to the corner, and RUN across the street. I also don't get the ones who ride their bikes on the sidewalk and then walk their bikes across intersections. I should probably get some sleep.
      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

What also irks me is the failure to establish eye contact. It's often difficult to figure out whether a pedestrian has seen you or not. With rare exception they just step off the curb and plow straight ahead. What is up with that?

I realize that in some cultures direct eye contact is considered rude but really...we can make an exception for road crossings, I think.

While I'm on a roll---strollers. Someone should tell those jogging moms that strollers are not to be confused with cowcatchers. They should not be used to run interference on sidewalks and in stores. And they should NEVER be shoved out recklessly into crosswalks without looking first. I've seen Mom standing on the curb and baby in stroller fully out in the crosswalk!!

Comment

I honked at one ped when she was j-walking on farrington, and she just smiled and continued while another car stopped when she entered the left lane. (I guess its because my car's horn sounds a bit high). Anyway, when I'm a ped I always look both ways twice - even when I have the light to cross.

I bet if everyone experienced someone almost getting hit (or getting hit with the whole flying onto the hood and everything) then they'll think twice.
          How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
            I bet if everyone experienced someone almost getting hit (or getting hit with the whole flying onto the hood and everything) then they'll think twice.

LOL---I frequently comment to my husband that those rare folks who we see scampering across the street, looking both ways numerous times and establishing eye contact, must have been hit at least once.

Comment

In driving downtown, I see a lot of bad pedestrians. Rarely do a see a bad driver that's a danger to pedestrians. So it irks me no end when Lingle tries to up the penalties for failing to stop for someone in a cross walk. Cars need stopping distance. Walkers don't. Sheesh.

Comment

People tend to think theyre car-proof nowadays. I really hate it when people are mosy-ing down the costco or walmart parking lot, in the middle of the lane, like theyre a car. They either think theyre really skinny or the lane is actually alot bigger and that you can drive around their fat 15-muffin-ass.

Dont get me started on the people inside costco and their carts.
                Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

The pedestrians who perturb me the most are the ones who just HAVE to jaywalk because they're too lazy to use the crosswalk which might only be about 5 ft away! I will come to a complete stop for people who use the crosswalk, but I won't for jaywalkers.

Miulang
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
                    LOL---I frequently comment to my husband that those rare folks who we see scampering across the street, looking both ways numerous times and establishing eye contact, must have been hit at least once.
                    a SUV driver narrowly missed me while crossing the street near my home a few years ago while walking home from school (imagine Kevin in 'home alone' walking home and almost got hit by that van). And yes, the driver was talking on her phone.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
                      *pokes hellbent into ranting about people in costco and their carts*

But I know how you feel. Sam's has those humongous push carts (we call them mini-trucks) and sometimes people don't know how to push them! Same for those huge carts. They just leave them in the aisle (if you can call it that) and expect you to navigate it around their cart with what little space you have.

Comment

There was a story on KHON last night focusing on a current drive to enforce pedestrian safety laws... and I was impressed to see tickets being handed out to pedestrians as well as drivers... including little old ladies trying to wobble across the street from between parked cars.

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
                          *pokes hellbent into ranting about people in costco and their carts*

But I know how you feel. Sam's has those humongous push carts (we call them mini-trucks) and sometimes people don't know how to push them! Same for those huge carts. They just leave them in the aisle (if you can call it that) and expect you to navigate it around their cart with what little space you have.
                          I just sideswipe their carts with my cart. If you can't figure out from that subtle message, oh well, I'll just sideswipe your cart again the next time we meet in the aisles.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
                            I always wished they'd introduce some kind of road system in Costco, so people have to say in the proper lane, have to stay in a lane to turn, with pull-offs for browing--and maybe some traffic lights.

At least give us all free knee pads and elbow pads and helmets.

Comment

I know some states the pedestrian doesn't have the right away. I know when I'm there, I can feel that I'm taking my life into my own hands when I cross the road. I'd be curious about all the states that are "safer" then Hawaii how many have pedestrian unfriendly laws.

I'm wondering if our history of pedestrian friendly has lead to a feeling of pedestrian entitlement and end up bringing new meaning to "being dead right".

Comment

Working...
                              X