How do you park at home?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you park at home?

random question: How do you park at home?
    reverse in
    37.50%
    drive in
    58.33%
    parallel park
    4.17%
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: How do you park at home?

I'd say more men reverse their vehicle in when parking than women. We'll see on the results of this poll.

I ALWAYS reverse in to park. You have so much more control of the direction of your vehicle when the "back" wheels are doing the turning vs. the front, which explains why forklifts have such good agility in tight spaces.

Plus, when it's time to leave, it's so easy to just drive forward out of that tight space in a parking structure, with less chance of having to reverse out blind and getting hit.

The only time I don't reverse in is in parking lots with angled, unidirectional stall layouts.

Now ask me to ask for directions to get somewhere.. Hey, I'm a guy.. guys don't read or ask for instructions.. we're know-it-alls!
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Both my husband and I pull in because our driveway is a hill. But when we are grocery shopping or other things we back in...I have to add. For the safety of our children we pull in too....when we were single we backed in.
      The side that is safest to get in on is the side I pull in on. So they don't chance going around to the road or under a neighbors car perhaps.
      Since when is psycho a bad thing??
      Sharing withother survivors...
      www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Renting a condo in Waikiki, so small parking spaces. Much easier to back in so that I can pull out in a hurry if I get called in for an emergency.

Comment

I reverse in when parking in my back carport. I pull in when I park in my side carport, and I reverse in when I park in my garage depends on which entrance I use.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

This is just one person's observation but I've noticed at my Makaha condo caucasians tend to pull in and locals tend to back in. I see this pattern at my office parking lot also. I doubt I would've paid any attention but a friend brought up this correlation so I watched for awhile. I'm constantly amazed how anyone can back a big, honkin' pick up truck into such a small space! It's like threading a needle.

I pull in. I've never been comfortable or gotten the hang of backing in!

Oh...and no cites, no percentages, just 2 eyeballs paying only partial attention to 2 small areas!

Comment

I agree with Pomai. It's much easier to maneuver in tight spaces going in reverse. Try this parking game: http://www.mousebreaker.com/games/parking/play.php

As far as if I back in or drive straight in, it's something that I deliberately do the way I do. If you stand on the street and face my garage, the car on the left is backed in while the car on the right is driven straight in. Both cars are parked as close to the wall as possible so I have the maximum amount of space between the cars. I have a small garage, and I don't want to ding anything with my car doors. If you park the cars any other way, you won't have as much room.

In fact, here's a picture of my garage. The garage door is on the left.

My truck is parked on the street, so it's parallel parked.
              Last edited by zff; February 20, 2007, 01:13 PM. Reason: elaborate and add picture

Comment

^ nice cars!

And you're right: it is easier to reverse in! (maybe because I drive a compact instead of a family sedan)

Comment

I pull into our driveway at home, but most times at work, I back in to my spot because the lot is so tight that backing out of my spot is harder than pulling out. In the morning there's enough room to back in but in the afternoon there isn't enough space to back out. How profound. Kinda like imagining the universe that's the size of your fingernail. What movie was that? Animal House?
                  Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by zff View Post
                    I agree with Pomai. It's much easier to maneuver in tight spaces going in reverse. Try this parking game: http://www.mousebreaker.com/games/parking/play.php

As far as if I back in or drive straight in, it's something that I deliberately do the way I do. If you stand on the street and face my garage, the car on the left is backed in while the car on the right is driven straight in. Both cars are parked as close to the wall as possible so I have the maximum amount of space between the cars. I have a small garage, and I don't want to ding anything with my car doors. If you park the cars any other way, you won't have as much room.

In fact, here's a picture of my garage. The garage door is on the left.

My truck is parked on the street, so it's parallel parked.
                    You forgot to wipe off the excess Zymoil...friggin amateur BTW your garage floor is cracked.

Can you tell I'm jealous at your stable?

Comment

At home I pull in but at work I reverse in because a lot of the other drivers don't understand COMPACT only.....

Comment

Originally posted by Ms_Aloha_Nui View Post
                        a lot of the other drivers don't understand COMPACT only.....
                        Because some people think they'll "compact" (come back)

*rimshot*

Comment

Originally posted by Ms_Aloha_Nui View Post
                          At home I pull in but at work I reverse in because a lot of the other drivers don't understand COMPACT only.....
                          Ahhh another pet peeve of mine...

When I see a Compact Only sign on the only open stall at WalMart and I'm driving my AstroVan past all the compact cars parking in all the regular stalls.

At that point I cram my van into the next available stall regardless if it says Compact Only. If the security guard tells me to remove my van I tell em, "Then get those friggin compacts outta the regular stalls so I can park there".

Comment

depends how im feeling. usually pull in but sometimes back in...

Comment

Originally posted by Ecntrc View Post
                              depends how im feeling. usually pull in but sometimes back in...
                              And if you're feeling awkward you pull in crooked?

Comment

Working...
                              X