Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pedestrian killed at Makaha Surfside Apts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pedestrian killed at Makaha Surfside Apts.

A certain Tutu (who hopefully was in Kakaako) will be especially concerned about this breaking story, which includes this:

Pedestrian killed near Makaha Surfside Apartments

"O'ahu recorded its ninth pedestrian fatality of the year tonight when a man in his 50s was struck and killed by a townbound vehicle on Farrington Highway in Makaha.
    "The man was pronounced dead at the scene at 7:06 p.m., said city Emergency Medical Services spokesman Bryan Cheplic.
    "Police received the accident call at 6:53 p.m. It happened in front of the Makaha Surfside Apartments at 85-175 Farrington Highway.
    "The death is O'ahu's 17th traffic fatality of the year."

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: Pedestrian killed at Makaha Surfside Apts.

The Tutu referenced was indeed in...Makaha! She didn't know anything about the accident 'til the 10:00 news! From what she saw on the news the accident was in front of the driveway entrance to Surfside, next to "C" building. The aforementioned Tutu lives beyond that entrance, in "A" building, which is probably why she didn't pay much attention to the sirens in the distance.

Expect that Tutu to hang out at the laundry shack tomorrow to catch up on the scuttlebutt! I'll let you know what she finds out!

Tutu thinks there's just to much bad traffic karma going around. She got caught in the Nimitz traffic today that was the result of a 3 truck collision near the old 'Lost' studio. One of the trucks was a big, ol' gasoline rig. Lotsa fire trucks were on the scene. Or so Tutu said.

Comment

We all hope when Tutu wakes up today she's recovered from referring to herself in the third person. @
      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
        We all hope when Tutu wakes up today she's recovered from referring to herself in the third person. @
        If there's a 12 step program for that...sign her up!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
          If there's a 12 step program for that...sign her up!
          Read the story this morning...what a heartbreaker. The guy was bringing home a couple of dinners for he and his exwife, with whom the story noted he remains friends, and he gets taken out in a hit and run. Shame on people who hit and run.
          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Here's the story. So sad. There's a crosswalk next to the entrance to Surfside but I see people, mostly Waianae High School kids, running across Farrington Hwy., outside the crosswalks, all the time. The closest stop light is a block away, fronting WHS. The next stop light heading west is at Makaha Valley Rd., probably a half mile away. Kids use that stretch of road to street race, sometimes with devastating results. That accident was at my end of the building and I was very thankful to have been in Kakaako at the time.

I just got a knock on my door from one of the condo's security guards. They're circulating a petition thruout the 425 unit complex to hopefully get a stop light in front of the property. It's needed to slow down the traffic but it won't stop pedestrians from crossing mid-block, unfortunately.

Comment

2:27 update!
              The petition is very popular today. KHON is holding court on the sidewalk fronting Surfside hoping to talk to eye witnesses. KITV has come and gone. It must be a slow news day.

The victim was a resident here. The incident is definitely the talk of the complex.

Hopefully, while waiting for a signal, either the bus stop can be repositioned close to the cross walk or another cross walk can be added in front of the bus stop. I have to wonder, tho', if the victim had been in the crosswalk would this horrible hit and run have been avoided. I think not. One car had already stopped for him. The hit and run car didn't bother to. I doubt a crosswalk would've made any difference at all. Just one tutus opinion, of course!

Comment

Appaarently the City tried installing a $50,000 flashing crosswalk light that could be activated by a pedestrian somewhere near there about 5 years ago and it was stolen within a week. Then they tried installing another $50,000 signal to replace it and that was stolen. So I guess whatever kind of signal they put there is going to have to be something that someone can't walk off with.

Maybe they need to install some speed bumps on Farrington Hwy too. That would keep all the hotrodders from going too fast (the low riders anyway). Or maybe just permanently install an HPD officer out there with a radar gun. Garans that they'd bring in lots of money out there from speeders on that strip of highway!

Miulang
                Last edited by Miulang; February 28, 2007, 01:08 PM. Reason: Because Tutu said so
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                  [...]So I guess whatever kind of signal they put there is going to have to be something that someone can't walk off with.
                  It needs to be a real stop light!
                  Maybe they need to install some speed bumps on Farrington Hwy too. That would keep all the hotrodders from going too fast (the low riders anyway).
                  Not sure speed bumps are the answer...esp. since I'm a low rider!
                  Or maybe just permanently install an HPD officer out there with a radar gun. Garans that they'd bring in lots of money out there on the North Shore from speeders on that strip of highway!

Miulang
                  Ummm...we're the west side, Miulang, not the North Shore!

Comment

I'm not surprised anymore. It happens so often. Every night the news broadcast lead with a pedestrian killed, watermain break, copper thieves, or something that isn't very "uncommon" anymore.
                    Too many people....too little space
                    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                    Flickr

Comment

Unrelated to Surfside...
                      This afternoon I was standing on the corner of Hotel and Alakea Sts. waiting for a green light. A teen girl (16 or 17) was a pedestrian on the other side of Hotel St. and wasn't willing to wait for the green. She stepped off the curb as a car was approaching to cross on it's green light. The driver stopped abruptly when he saw the teen. Teen, unfazed, turned around and stepped back up on the sidewalk. Apparently the driver gave the teen stink eye. Teen in turn curled her lip, let out an audible "tsk" or two and continued shaking her head until the light turned green for us. She saw me observing the incident and appeared to have the confidence to think she was in the right. Instead I didn't cross, waiting for her to get closer to me. I told her "That was your bad. You just might not survive the next time.". I, too, got a curled lip and an audible "tsk"! And I was proud to receive both!

Comment

Drivers has to be alert for pedestrians, and pedestrians has to be alert for drivers.

Pedestrians gotta wear light colored clothing at night and take the time to look for a crosswalk instead of saving a few seconds. Our headlights can only go so far and sometimes we can't brake in time when we see a pedestrian dart infront of our view.

Maybe we gotta follow the japanese and wear vests when we walk (or flags or something like that)
                        How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

I went to eat breakfast at Uptown Fountain this morning. The traffic was horrendous. School Street from Liliha to Lanikila was blocked. Another pedestrian (elderly male) was killed this morning. The area is still blocked off. All vehicles are taking other routes. Stay away from the area.

Two weeks ago, I went to the Neighborhood Board Meeting. The Chairwoman and Members were concern about this area and talked to HPD as well as the C&C Representative about issuing more tickets or planning something where the elderly will take it seriously in not jay walking.

Another death has occurred.

Auntie Lynn
                          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Re: Pedestrian killed

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                            I went to eat breakfast at Uptown Fountain this morning. The traffic was horrendous. School Street from Liliha to Lanikila was blocked. Another pedestrian (elderly male) was killed this morning.
                            Thanks, Auntie. I was just going to post something about that. The article is on the Advertiser website at this link and includes this:

"A 92-year-old man was critically injured this morning while walking in a marked crosswalk on North School Street in front of St. Theresa School, police said.
                            "The accident happened about 8:15 a.m. when the man was crossing from the school side of the street. Two cars stopped for him, but he was hit in the far right lane by a 1997 four-door Saturn headed eastbound and driven by an 83-year-old man.
                            "The pedestrian was transported to The Queen's Medical Center in critical condition, said Bryan Cheplic, spokesman for the Honolulu Emergency Services Department.
                            "A stretch of North School Street, near Alaneo Street, was closed for hours this morning as police investigated. Speed and alcohol were not apparent factors in the crash."

Not to make light of someone's death, but... maybe it was a senior citizen's gang war?!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Bad reporting on my part.

Critically injured means he neva die.

Sorry PAPA.

Auntie Lynn
                              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
                              X