Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which came first-- the safety check or the registration renewal??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which came first-- the safety check or the registration renewal??

SO both are expired. I never drive. Now that I need to it's a bit tricky to get one without the other.

Does anyone have any advice?
    life is ok sometimes

Re: Which came first-- the safety check or the registration renewal??

safety check.
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Yup. If the registration has been expired for months, you're probably gonna have to present proof of a safety check when you renew the registration.

Comment

I might be missing something here. But don't you need your up-to-date registration before you get a safety check?

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
          I might be missing something here. But don't you need your up-to-date registration before you get a safety check?
          Hence, Christa's confusion and her question! Either way it appears you can't get one without the other.

Christa, try calling the DMV. Or have you done that already?

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
            STOP IT! It was all going so nice and smoothly.
            Ay, ohyeahno? Best bet, call the licensing/registration division.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
              Hence, Christa's confusion and her question! Either way it appears you can't get one without the other.

Christa, try calling the DMV. Or have you done that already?
              If your registration is not current, you can get a "conditional" safety check which will enable you to then register your vehicle. After you get your new registration, you go back to the inspection station and get your safety check decals.

It is a real "catch 22" situation. You need a current safety check to renew your registration, but you also need both a current registration and current auto insurance or proof of financial responsibiliy to get a safety check done.

I got caught in this once. I bought a vehicle in early February - the safety check was due by the end of February. The next year, I went in for the safety check in the first week of February and was told that they could not do it because my registration had expired on January 31. Apparently, when you purchase a car and the dealer runs the papers through in the FIRST HALF of the month, the car is licensed only to the last day of the previous month. If the deal is sent through motor vehicle bureau in the SECOND HALF of the month, the registration extends to the last day of that month.

So, I had to get the conditional safety check and leave my vehicle at the inspection station (otherwise risk a citation for both NO SAFETY CHECK and UNREGISTERED VEHICLE OPERATED ON A PUBLIC STREET. Went to the Satellite City Hall to register my car with the conditional safety inspection and returned with the current registration to get the safety check squared away. Lucky for me, my cousin's husband was the manager of the Satellite City Hall at Ala Moana Center.
              Last edited by oceanpacific; April 19, 2007, 11:53 PM. Reason: more information

Comment

Does HPD wait by the off ramps of highways to check these stickers like they do on the mainland? I can't even remember.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
                  Does HPD wait by the off ramps of highways to check these stickers like they do on the mainland? I can't even remember.
                  For safety checks and expired registration? No.

These are citations which get added on AFTER you get stopped for other violations like speeding, illegal turns, loud mufflers, burned-out lights, etc. Even expired parking meters.

The police officer will ask you for your license, car registration, and insurance card when he stops you. That's when he'll notice the out-of-date decals.

I once got ticketed in the old airport interisland parking lot for not having the current year registration decal. Seems that someone peeled it off the license plate. I avoided the fine as I had the validated registration certificate, but it still cost me $1.00 for the replacement decal.

Comment

perfect. thanks so much! at least now i know i'll need to be ready to leave my car for a bit and get the reg done.

*sigh*
                    maybe next week.
                    life is ok sometimes

Comment

Who here is old enough to remember the safety sticker was placed on the inside of the windshield on the passenger side?

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne View Post
                        Who here is old enough to remember the safety sticker was placed on the inside of the windshield on the passenger side?
                        Not me but I sure would like to see them move that safety sticker to the license plate. No need for stickers on the bumper.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                          Not me but I sure would like to see them move that safety sticker to the license plate. No need for stickers on the bumper.
                          The '66 Chevelle I inherited from my dad when he got new wheels in '77 had it. I think the last year it was like that was 1968 (because that's what was on the windshield).

Comment

The real catch-22 is how do you legally get a car to a safety check station to get even a conditional "blue" safety check paper?

Once when I put rims on my 69 Cougar, I was told by DMV that the only legal way to get a car to the inspection station was to tow it down. She also told me as long as I don't get caught nobody will question you when you drive your car in to the station for inspection.

Just for kicks I had my Cougar towed on a flat bed to get it inspected. When the inspector came out wondering what all the comotion was all about, he was dumbfounded saying I was the first he'd seen that actually did that.

I told him I wanted to make sure he would pass me with my rims. After seeing that he started questioning the other punks that drove their cars in for their reconstructed permits how their cars ended up in his station without being towed

Yeah I got a lot of stink eye that day, but hey...the law is the law
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I just had to do that with a customer:

Okay...

You need to go to a SAFETY CHECK place, have them FAIL it.
                              They will give you a BLUE FAILED SAFETY.

Take the BLUE FAILED SAFETY to satellite city hall, with that they can give you a registration.

There you go dear, that would be $5.00 service charge, .23 Hawaii tax and $3.00 internet access fee..brings your total to :

$8.23 , I accept cash, check or charge...

<LOL>

* smooches *
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X