• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• helen
    replied
    Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 6

Originally posted by craig foo View Post
    Surely the parks departments on Kauai are anticipating parked vehicles while campers from Oahu, Maui, wherevers "camp out" somewheres, with or without permits, with or without enough money to return to Oahu, with or without an intention to return to Oahu or wherevers, with or without legally registered/permitted weapons, with or without fill-in-the-blank....
    I am scratching my head on wondering about the logic of what is wrong with person A having a permit to camp at park B during the time period C?

Leave a comment:

• Miulang
    replied

Originally posted by InfinityProductions View Post
    The letter to the editor alleges that the DLNR impounded the vehicles because of the violation, but this article in the Maui News reports that the vehicles were not claimed, therefore they were impounded.

And so, the letter to the editor, like a blog is someone elses perspective and not fact or it could be fact and the news article reporting on the court hearings are not fact. Which do you think it is?
    I think the reason why nothing has happened (on either side) with this case is because both sides are suspicious that the other side planted the rocks to prove their point. That's why I didn't bring the rocks up when the incident first occurred. The story is kinda ludicrous, you know? But the trucks were impounded and they gotta know who owns them, but they won't say who the registered owners are. Why? And I'm not even sure if they can convict the people of rock stealing because the rocks never left the island anyway.

Miulang

Leave a comment:

• joshuatree
    replied

I have to wonder about the DLNR employee who didn't even bother to call in to verify just because a business card was shown. Dang, I should be making myself a bunch of business cards from the President of the United States.

As for blaming this on HSF, the trucks were at the docks but considering the ferry never had a chance to continue service, one can only wonder if HSF would or would not have caught the trucks. To blame HSF is the equivalent of blaming AA or UA for having their planes hijacked in 9/11.

Leave a comment:

• infinitypro
    replied

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
    The letter to the editor alleges that the DLNR impounded the vehicles because of the violation, but this article in the Maui News reports that the vehicles were not claimed, therefore they were impounded.

And so, the letter to the editor, like a blog is someone elses perspective and not fact or it could be fact and the news article reporting on the court hearings are not fact. Which do you think it is?

Leave a comment:

• Miulang
    replied

Yes, nothing so far so I'll look for your link.

Found it! It was in the Letters to the Editor of the Maui News:

Rocks in truck details told by someone in the know

As reported in The Maui News Sept. 9, there were two trucks loaded up with Maui rocks waiting to be taken back to Oahu should the ferry have been able to go back as scheduled. Thank goodness the ferry was delayed as we can now see from only one voyage the reality of the type of problems we will be facing on a continual basis should the ferry resume its operations here.

Before I read this story a friend of mine came up to me and filled me in on a few more of the details: These men were spotted by a DLNR employee loading up these rocks into their trucks. When the DLNR employee confronted these men they pulled out a Gov. Linda Lingle business card and said that the governor gave them permission to come over here and take these rocks. The employee, fearing for his job, let them go.

Then a friend of his spotted these two trucks at the loading dock for the ferry and called Isaac Hall, the local attorney confronting the EIS for the ferry and he called DLNR and they came and eventually impounded the trucks so they could not go back.

Did the Superferry officials not notice the two trucks filled with rocks being taken back to Oahu? Did they think someone drove over to Maui filled up with rocks? This is assuredly a disaster waiting to happen!

Bill Stroud

Haiku

Leave a comment:

• joshuatree
    replied

Passive sonar does no harm to whales, it is active sonar that is controversial. So the issue is cost. But again, I suggested the common sense solution that every boat user out there contribute plus the enviro groups as well. Heck, you may even get the military and homeland security to contribute because it provides essentially another set of sensors to monitor the waters around the islands.

Leave a comment:

• infinitypro
    replied

It was in somebody's blog. If I can find the entry, I'll post it here. It does seem a little odd that the newspapers haven't followed up on this story, isn't it? I mean, normally, in cases like this, they report who the culprits were. Nada so far.

Miulang
    Yes, nothing so far so I'll look for your link.

Leave a comment:

• LikaNui
    replied

It was in somebody's blog.
    Well,okay, if it was in a blog then it MUST be true.
    I saw a blog entry one time that said Mother Theresa was actually Satan in disguise. Hey, it was on a blog. It MUST be true.

Geez, this is all too easy. Kinda like the proverbial "shooting fish in a barrel."

Leave a comment:

• infinitypro
    replied

The sonar buoys might work out well, but then the argument over who pays for the technology rears its ugly head. Should all ships chip in (including private boats)? Or just boats that go over 15 kts? NOAA determined the safe speed for larger ships when around whales is 15 kts or less.

If done on land, a power washer's contaminated water can be filtered. Like I said, I don't know if that green car wash on Hobron has the ability to wash undercarriages; all the automatic car washes around here can't.

Miulang
    If you're talking about "washing" the undercarriage of a vehicle, then the automatic car wash at Chevron near Pearlridge provides that service, and I believe others on the island do as well. I wonder why Seattle wouldn't have it?

And, when I shipped my same vehicle that I'd like to take on the Superferry from California to HNL to Kahului to HNL to Kawaihae back to HNL, and now again to Kahului...on YB, not one person checked my vehicle. Not inside, not outside, not underneath or ontop. In Long Beach, I was told to remove a shoe box that you could see through the window which contained photographs; but within the islands...I packed up my life and sent "Big Girl" on her way to meet me at my next destination.

Leave a comment:

• LikaNui
    replied

The sonar buoys might (...) I don't know if (...)
    It just never ends.

Leave a comment:

• Miulang
    replied

Yes, the news report, and not the trial is what we were referring too.

MIULANG,

I read that you mentioned this: "The story goes that a DNLR person had come upon the guys loading up the trucks earlier in the Paukukalo area (about 5 minutes away from the ferry dock and at the mouth's edge of the 'Iao River), challenged them, and one of them whipped out a business card with Gov. Lingle's name on it, so he figured they were on official state business (duh) and let them go."

Was this reported somewhere? I've been surfing the 'net for a news reports as a follow up on this investigation and have only been able to come up with the original story, and the very limited testimony from the State Enforcement Officer Randy AWO.
    It was in somebody's blog. If I can find the entry, I'll post it here. It does seem a little odd that the newspapers haven't followed up on this story, isn't it? I mean, normally, in cases like this, they report who the culprits were. Nada so far.

Miulang

Leave a comment:

• infinitypro
    replied

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
    Okay so here's a way to address the whale issue. Isn't it time that the state and all the marine entities plying their trade in the water simply collaborate to create a "safe" shipping lane? Passive sonar buoys to detect the presence of whales in a shipping lane. All boats such as the HSF can hook right up to the signals transmitted from the buoys. Viola! You got yourself a set of eyes that sees miles ahead so one can go full steam ahead with confidence.

As for undercarriages, having the vehicles go through an automated undercarriage power washer should suffice. The water can even be recycled in the washes to be green. But I like to see all the protesters put their money where their mouth is. I like to see the Sierra Club chip in. It would give their credibility about protecting the environment a boost.
    Not an expert on whales, sonars, undercarriages or anything, except maybe common sense. And JT...it's a REASONABLE SOLUTION makes sense to common folk like me.

Leave a comment:

• LikaNui
    replied

No, it seems like a pretty simple fix to me (...) I think the idea is (...) But the invasive species lady didn't sound like (...) if all plants (...) and I suspect papaya plants (...) I think I read somewhere that HSF passengers (...) Whether there are DNLR inspectors assigned to check for this, I don't know. (...) The story goes that (...) Based on what I have heard from (...) seems to be the humpback whale issue
    You know, the longer that kind of nonsense goes on, the more people realize that the anti-SuperFerry contingent is being hurt more than helped.
    It's actually rather amusing, in a pathetic kind of way.

Leave a comment:

• Miulang
    replied

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
    Okay so here's a way to address the whale issue. Isn't it time that the state and all the marine entities plying their trade in the water simply collaborate to create a "safe" shipping lane? Passive sonar buoys to detect the presence of whales in a shipping lane. All boats such as the HSF can hook right up to the signals transmitted from the buoys. Viola! You got yourself a set of eyes that sees miles ahead so one can go full steam ahead with confidence.

As for undercarriages, having the vehicles go through an automated undercarriage power washer should suffice. The water can even be recycled in the washes to be green. But I like to see all the protesters put their money where their mouth is. I like to see the Sierra Club chip in. It would give their credibility about protecting the environment a boost.
    The sonar buoys might work out well, but then the argument over who pays for the technology rears its ugly head. Should all ships chip in (including private boats)? Or just boats that go over 15 kts? NOAA determined the safe speed for larger ships when around whales is 15 kts or less.

If done on land, a power washer's contaminated water can be filtered. Like I said, I don't know if that green car wash on Hobron has the ability to wash undercarriages; all the automatic car washes around here can't.

Miulang

Leave a comment:

• infinitypro
    replied

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
    GOOD GRIEF. Infinity's reponse was about an item from a NEWS PROGRAM that aired tonight HERE IN HAWAII... it was NOT about the trial!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Infinity and I weren't talking about anyone's testimony. It was a news report from the Dept. of Agriculture where they praised the SuperFerry. Oh. Wait. Now I see why you changed the subject.

Ah yes. "Anecdotal reports." More commonly known as UNSUBSTANTIATED RUMORS.

And all in answering the wrong question.
    *sigh*
    Yes, the news report, and not the trial is what we were referring too.

MIULANG,

I read that you mentioned this: "The story goes that a DNLR person had come upon the guys loading up the trucks earlier in the Paukukalo area (about 5 minutes away from the ferry dock and at the mouth's edge of the 'Iao River), challenged them, and one of them whipped out a business card with Gov. Lingle's name on it, so he figured they were on official state business (duh) and let them go."

Was this reported somewhere? I've been surfing the 'net for a news reports as a follow up on this investigation and have only been able to come up with the original story, and the very limited testimony from the State Enforcement Officer Randy AWO.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X