X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 6

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
    So why the big stink about not letting the EA and HSF service run concurrently? What no one knows right now is what the actual traffic patterns will be with HSF docking. Maybe that bank or restaurant or fabric store will get more business? Usually, businesses want traffic, that helps with their bottom line. If an EA and HSF service is run concurrently and issues develop, HSF service can always be suspended much like what we see now. So why the win-only-if-it-suits me mentality that we see now?
    The fabric store lost all of its parking space to YB when the State purchased the additional land (they are in the Old Kahului Store Bldg., which is a historical landmark). The bank is one of the busiest branches on the island, and without the cops there to direct traffic, there will probably be physical altercations as peoples' patience runs thin on both sides.

And I seriously doubt HSF will stop and then start up again just for a mitigation.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I've been trying -- really trying -- to let some things just go by. But...
      Regarding the Kauai farmers, CraigFoo needs to remember the Maui situation. Not only were Maui farmers on the SuperFerry's advisory panel, their cooperative fully endorsed the SuperFerry as being a boon for their business. Why would Kauai be any different from Maui in that regard?
      Regarding the impact on the Maui fabric store and restaurant and bank, JT is correct in predicting they'll get more business rather than less. If they had any marketing sense at all, they'd work a promotion with SuperFerry to offer discounts to SuperrFerry passengers. Ka-$HING!
      And lastly...

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
      there will probably be physical altercations as peoples' patience runs thin on both sides.
      And that guess predicting violence is based on what evidence, exactly?

I seriously doubt HSF will stop and then start up again just for a mitigation.
      *sigh*

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by woodman View Post
        they're not bringing their cars. They are using vehicles that are already on the road and operated by renal car compaies.
        I could be wrong in my impression and assumptions here but the amount of people traveling via the SuperFerry is going to "add" to the amount of people who come to an island location verus "instead off" coming to an island location. This is couse assuming the number of airline flights don't decrease once the SuperFerry is in operation.

Also keep in mind that the amount of passengers that the SuperFerry carries is around 866 people, that's about roughly about 4 to 5 planeloads worth of people (appologizes in advance for biasing towards Aloha Airlines). The rental car companies would have to increase their fleet to accomadate this increase of passengers (this is assuming that the SuperFerry was a passenger-only service). For sure this is going to permanently add to the amount of cars on an island location. Where as cars being shipped via the SuperFerry would be temporary added to the amount of cars on an island location.

But the businesses being impacted by HSF at Kahului and Nawiliwili harbors are not in the same business as HSF and don't compete with each other anyway: on Maui, there's a bank, a fabric store, a trendy fashion store for young women and a restaurant. In Nawiliwili harbor, it's the Kauai Food Bank, Hesse Flooring and Island Liquidators.
        I don't know about the Maui places but the Kauai places got affected because of the security restrictions that was put in place after the events that happened on Kauai. I just hope the security restrictions is a temporary thing.

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
        Regarding the Kauai farmers, CraigFoo needs to remember the Maui situation. Not only were Maui farmers on the SuperFerry's advisory panel, their cooperative fully endorsed the SuperFerry as being a boon for their business. Why would Kauai be any different from Maui in that regard?
        Were there any Kauai farmers on the advisory panel? In any event if none of the Kauai based farmers don't want to use the services of the SuperFerry that's fine too.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
          I don't know about the Maui places but the Kauai places got affected because of the security restrictions that was put in place after the events that happened on Kauai. I just hope the security restrictions is a temporary thing.
          The bank's business is adversely impacted because the egress for HSF shares the same roadway as the parking lot for the bank. Hence the Judge's order (had HSF been allowed to resume service) that off duty policemen be hired to direct traffic at that corner. When the anti-HSF people tried to do a demo with 100 cars prior to the first voyage, there were some fender benders and heated words exchanged between bank customers and "HSF" customers...and these were their neighbors, not visitors. When HSF starts up again, there is also a "mitigation" requiring that traffic from HSF be limited to 3 cars per light cycle on Kaahumanu, so do the math: if each light cycle is 3 minutes long and only 3 cars per cycle are allowed to merge into the main stream of traffic, how long will the 180th vehicle in line on the ferry dock have to wait to actually merge onto Kaahumanu?

The businesses in the Old Kahului Store Bldg are impacted because their parking lot got sold to the State to provide land for YB (an EA was done for this project). Any potential customers now have to park on the north side of the building in a space about 1/3 the size of the original lot. Both the bank building and the Old Kahului Store (as is the old Kahului RR building next door) are historical landmarks and can't be torn down.

The Coast Guard says that the impacted businesses in Nawiliwili harbor can ask for exemptions, but it sounds like they would have to call the CG every time a customer wanted to get to the stores, so that is a major hassle for the businesses and some customers would just rather avoid the whole security zone checking hassle.

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

The bank's business is adversely impacted because the egress for HSF shares the same roadway as the parking lot for the bank.
            If... IF it was bad as you predict, I have to wonder why that bank's customers wouldn't have the basic innate intelligence to NOT GO TO THE BANK DURING THAT HOUR?!??
            Somebody remind me -- is common sense illegal on Maui?

Comment

It might be in Seattle, though!

It must be a powerful set of binoculars to make the call from 3000 miles away as to what's good for us folks here in the middle of the Pacific .............

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                It might be in Seattle, though!

It must be a powerful set of binoculars to make the call from 3000 miles away as to what's good for us folks here in the middle of the Pacific .............
                And where do YOU live? On Maui? Are you one of the bank's many business customers who use that branch to make deposits and pick up cash in the middle of the day so you can run your business?

Comment

And where do YOU live? On Maui? Are you one of the bank's many business customers who use that branch to make deposits and pick up cash in the middle of the day so you can run your business?
                  I'll be living on Maui again soon, hopefully I can give an objective analysis of this bank that will be impacted. Is it the Central Pacific Bank, since it's the nearest branch?
                  ___
                  "Be god to each other."

Comment

Originally posted by InfinityProductions View Post
                    I'll be living on Maui again soon, hopefully I can give an objective analysis of this bank that will be impacted. Is it the Central Pacific Bank, since it's the nearest branch?
                    No, it's the big guy...Bank of Hawaii.

Miulang

Comment

Hey, MiuLAME. Your incessant BRAYING betrays you.

FYI, I live on Oahu, but originally came from the Big Island of Hawaii. You would have known that IF you really paid attention to other threads both of us have participated on.

I'm more qualified than you on these local matters. By far .............

Comment

uh Miulang - weren't you born/raised on Maui (or something like that)?? I seem to recall hearing about your family on Maui when you were here last year. Just curious - you don't have to answer me here.
                        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                          uh Miulang - weren't you born/raised on Maui (or something like that)?? I seem to recall hearing about your family on Maui when you were here last year. Just curious - you don't have to answer me here.
                          I was born in Kapiolani Hospital and moved to Maui at the age of 2. My maternal grandparents were born and raised on Maui. My grandpa worked for the Territory of Hawaii road dept. as a civil engineer and built many of the roads on Maui, Lanai and Moloka'i. My dad was a postmaster on Maui. So yes, I have Maui roots.

Miulang

Comment

so, sounds to me like you are qualified to talk about Maui issues even though you currently live in Seattle. Thanks for clarifying for me.
                            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I was born in Kapiolani Hospital and moved to Maui at the age of 2.
                              But the real value would be in knowing when you moved away from Maui. I seem to recall you talking about being very young and going to school on the mainland, and then all those different jobs and cities you lived in on the mainland, and still do.
                              Now, assuming Miulang truly does have me on Ignore, someone please quote the paragraph above or ask her yourself, whatever. The answer to how old she was when she moved away will either establish her credibility (and end a lot of abuse) or, well, you know.

Comment

No, it's the big guy...Bank of Hawaii.

Miulang
                                Thank you. I want to get the true perspective of those on Maui, hopefully time permitting and share objectively.
                                ___
                                "Be god to each other."

Comment

Working...
                                X