X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 6

Originally posted by InfinityProductions View Post
    Yes, the news report, and not the trial is what we were referring too.

MIULANG,

I read that you mentioned this: "The story goes that a DNLR person had come upon the guys loading up the trucks earlier in the Paukukalo area (about 5 minutes away from the ferry dock and at the mouth's edge of the 'Iao River), challenged them, and one of them whipped out a business card with Gov. Lingle's name on it, so he figured they were on official state business (duh) and let them go."

Was this reported somewhere? I've been surfing the 'net for a news reports as a follow up on this investigation and have only been able to come up with the original story, and the very limited testimony from the State Enforcement Officer Randy AWO.
    It was in somebody's blog. If I can find the entry, I'll post it here. It does seem a little odd that the newspapers haven't followed up on this story, isn't it? I mean, normally, in cases like this, they report who the culprits were. Nada so far.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
      The sonar buoys might (...) I don't know if (...)
      It just never ends.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

The sonar buoys might work out well, but then the argument over who pays for the technology rears its ugly head. Should all ships chip in (including private boats)? Or just boats that go over 15 kts? NOAA determined the safe speed for larger ships when around whales is 15 kts or less.

If done on land, a power washer's contaminated water can be filtered. Like I said, I don't know if that green car wash on Hobron has the ability to wash undercarriages; all the automatic car washes around here can't.

Miulang
        If you're talking about "washing" the undercarriage of a vehicle, then the automatic car wash at Chevron near Pearlridge provides that service, and I believe others on the island do as well. I wonder why Seattle wouldn't have it?

And, when I shipped my same vehicle that I'd like to take on the Superferry from California to HNL to Kahului to HNL to Kawaihae back to HNL, and now again to Kahului...on YB, not one person checked my vehicle. Not inside, not outside, not underneath or ontop. In Long Beach, I was told to remove a shoe box that you could see through the window which contained photographs; but within the islands...I packed up my life and sent "Big Girl" on her way to meet me at my next destination.
        ___
        "Be god to each other."

Comment

It was in somebody's blog.
          Well,okay, if it was in a blog then it MUST be true.
          I saw a blog entry one time that said Mother Theresa was actually Satan in disguise. Hey, it was on a blog. It MUST be true.

Geez, this is all too easy. Kinda like the proverbial "shooting fish in a barrel."

Comment

It was in somebody's blog. If I can find the entry, I'll post it here. It does seem a little odd that the newspapers haven't followed up on this story, isn't it? I mean, normally, in cases like this, they report who the culprits were. Nada so far.

Miulang
            Yes, nothing so far so I'll look for your link.
            ___
            "Be god to each other."

Comment

Passive sonar does no harm to whales, it is active sonar that is controversial. So the issue is cost. But again, I suggested the common sense solution that every boat user out there contribute plus the enviro groups as well. Heck, you may even get the military and homeland security to contribute because it provides essentially another set of sensors to monitor the waters around the islands.

Comment

Yes, nothing so far so I'll look for your link.

Found it! It was in the Letters to the Editor of the Maui News:

Rocks in truck details told by someone in the know

As reported in The Maui News Sept. 9, there were two trucks loaded up with Maui rocks waiting to be taken back to Oahu should the ferry have been able to go back as scheduled. Thank goodness the ferry was delayed as we can now see from only one voyage the reality of the type of problems we will be facing on a continual basis should the ferry resume its operations here.

Before I read this story a friend of mine came up to me and filled me in on a few more of the details: These men were spotted by a DLNR employee loading up these rocks into their trucks. When the DLNR employee confronted these men they pulled out a Gov. Linda Lingle business card and said that the governor gave them permission to come over here and take these rocks. The employee, fearing for his job, let them go.

Then a friend of his spotted these two trucks at the loading dock for the ferry and called Isaac Hall, the local attorney confronting the EIS for the ferry and he called DLNR and they came and eventually impounded the trucks so they could not go back.

Did the Superferry officials not notice the two trucks filled with rocks being taken back to Oahu? Did they think someone drove over to Maui filled up with rocks? This is assuredly a disaster waiting to happen!

Bill Stroud

Haiku

"Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

The letter to the editor alleges that the DLNR impounded the vehicles because of the violation, but this article in the Maui News reports that the vehicles were not claimed, therefore they were impounded.

And so, the letter to the editor, like a blog is someone elses perspective and not fact or it could be fact and the news article reporting on the court hearings are not fact. Which do you think it is?
                  ___
                  "Be god to each other."

Comment

I have to wonder about the DLNR employee who didn't even bother to call in to verify just because a business card was shown. Dang, I should be making myself a bunch of business cards from the President of the United States.

As for blaming this on HSF, the trucks were at the docks but considering the ferry never had a chance to continue service, one can only wonder if HSF would or would not have caught the trucks. To blame HSF is the equivalent of blaming AA or UA for having their planes hijacked in 9/11.

Comment

The letter to the editor alleges that the DLNR impounded the vehicles because of the violation, but this article in the Maui News reports that the vehicles were not claimed, therefore they were impounded.

And so, the letter to the editor, like a blog is someone elses perspective and not fact or it could be fact and the news article reporting on the court hearings are not fact. Which do you think it is?
                      I think the reason why nothing has happened (on either side) with this case is because both sides are suspicious that the other side planted the rocks to prove their point. That's why I didn't bring the rocks up when the incident first occurred. The story is kinda ludicrous, you know? But the trucks were impounded and they gotta know who owns them, but they won't say who the registered owners are. Why? And I'm not even sure if they can convict the people of rock stealing because the rocks never left the island anyway.

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by craig foo View Post
                        Surely the parks departments on Kauai are anticipating parked vehicles while campers from Oahu, Maui, wherevers "camp out" somewheres, with or without permits, with or without enough money to return to Oahu, with or without an intention to return to Oahu or wherevers, with or without legally registered/permitted weapons, with or without fill-in-the-blank....
                        I am scratching my head on wondering about the logic of what is wrong with person A having a permit to camp at park B during the time period C?

Comment

The bank is one of the busiest branches on the island, and without the cops there to direct traffic, there will probably be physical altercations as peoples' patience runs thin on both sides.
                          "There will probably be physical altercations..."

Ha! Where'd you get that fantasy from?

Have you ever witnessed the "traffic" from the ferry when it disembarked at Kahului?

Yes or no.

Well, I was there, and there was very little.

"Oh, but it was a Sunday."

Yeah, but I've been there on a Monday at lunchtime when FHB is stuffed. That branch causes a lot more traffic than the ferry could ever hope to.

The ferry disgorges at 9:30 a.m.

There's no heavy traffic at that time. Plain and simple.

I've been there, at that bank, at both times. Very recently.

Oh, and as for the restaurant, it's not very popular, so I wouldn't count that as a big worry.

And what else is there? A Century 21 office? Oh yeah, big traffic there...

Comment

I'm not even sure if they can convict the people of rock stealing because the rocks never left the island anyway.
                            So using your logic there, if someone steals my car but only takes it from Kaneohe to Kailua, it's not theft, eh? It would only be theft if they took my car to another island but it's okay if they steal it but keep it on the same island, according to your logic.
                            Get real. The rocks were removed from their existing location, and without permission. That is theft, plain and simple. The truck(s) could have been parked only 100' away from the property, but it's still theft.
                            To quote the wise and revered philosopher Homer Simpson, "DOH."

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                              As for blaming this on HSF, the trucks were at the docks but considering the ferry never had a chance to continue service, one can only wonder if HSF would or would not have caught the trucks. To blame HSF is the equivalent of blaming AA or UA for having their planes hijacked in 9/11.
                              took the words right out of my mouth but put it better than i would have said it.
                              superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

helen: "I am scratching my head on wondering about the logic of what is wrong with person A having a permit to camp at park B during the time period C?"

There are not many parks, County or State, on Kauai and of what few there are, small as they are, fewer still allow overnight camping, and then only on weekends. The limited number of permits for overnight camping in designated parks are acquired in person on first come first serve basis. Local families nearly always exhaust the quota of available permits well before the dates for which the permits apply, especially on common holidays.

What is wrong with having a permit to camp? Nothing, if you can get one during weekday business hours for the period a park is open for camping. You can hardly appreciate the smallness and overuse of Kauai's few parks until you visit them on weekends during their use as birthday and family celebrations.

I expect that no one coming via Superferry to Kauai without prior arrangement for overnight accomodations are going to get permits to overnight in County or State parks on the day or night they arrive.

What about legally registered firearms and unregistered weapons arriving on Kauai via passengers' possessions on the Superferries, have you a concern about those weapons? Do you think Kauai citizens' concerns about such weapons and their intended use on Kauai are misplaced?

Comment

Working...
                                X